Glastron SX 175 Gas Smell

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
...I’ve been getting this gas fume smell ....

If technical definitions are being discussed in this thread, I think this thread is about vapors, not fumes. While I understand communication between people often includes common terms, on the other hand, when discussing defined items, definitions can be critical to convey a situation to another person, quickly and accurately

Fumes are a type of particulate air pollutant that is created when a solid material is burned.

Vapors, on the other hand, are gaseous substances created from liquids or solids. When a liquid or solid turns into a gas, it is called vaporization. Vapors are not as harmful to your health as fumes, but they can still be dangerous if you are exposed to them for a long period of time.

OK, off soap-box... The good experts here have your back - stay safe.

Jamon Norton

Recruit
Thanks! So your other lines didn’t have any fumes? I definitely need to reseal that sender with some new gasket maker then. What should I do in terms of those pipes? They’re unfortunately not long enough for me to shave off and use the existing lines so if I need to I would have to replace them. I’m trying to upload a video to see if this can help get some more guidance from everyone.
Here is the link hope you can see it.

Fume test

Thanks!
I didn’t have issue around the hoses

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
"Permatex gasket dressing and sealant" is fuel resistant. I have used it to seal the sender gasket, with good results. Coat both sides of the rubber gasket and tighten the clamp screws. If in doubt, replace the gasket with new.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if the fill and vent hoses are older than 20 years old, replace them. the old formulation was not friendly to ethanol and fuel will permeate the hose itself.

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
Yep. I greatly reduced my mild gas smell by replacing the hoses. I wish my sender gasket was as accessible as on this boat.

meistergeister

Seaman Apprentice
Yeah they're over 20 years old, so I suppose I need to go in and change them. I really would have liked to avoid doing the hoses, especially during winter. May need to wait until weather gets a bit warmer.

I'll change the gasket on the sender, already bought a new one. Do I need to put Permatex on the new gasket as well?

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
I would not put a sealant on the gasket. The gasket should be made of rubber and should seal well if the surfaces are clean and smooth. You don't know how the sealant will react with gasoline.

meistergeister

Seaman Apprentice
I would not put a sealant on the gasket. The gasket should be made of rubber and should seal well if the surfaces are clean and smooth. You don't know how the sealant will react with gasoline.
Got it, will give that a try, thanks!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Yeah they're over 20 years old, so I suppose I need to go in and change them. I really would have liked to avoid doing the hoses, especially during winter. May need to wait until weather gets a bit warmer.

I'll change the gasket on the sender, already bought a new one. Do I need to put Permatex on the new gasket as well?
I would do it now. just keep the hoses in the house, then stuff in the oven on warm for 10 minutes before you need to feed/install

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Try the gasket dry. If she leaks, put the dressing on it.

The dressing is a non-hardening, fuel resistant substance. Seals real well.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Try the gasket dry. If she leaks, put the dressing on it.

The dressing is a non-hardening, fuel resistant substance. Seals real well.
To the op if it were mine id replace the sender gasket, tighten the clamps on the fill and vent hoses and see where that gets me. Yes hoses could be contributing but i wouldn’t get into them just yet.

meistergeister

Seaman Apprentice
To the op if it were mine id replace the sender gasket, tighten the clamps on the fill and vent hoses and see where that gets me. Yes hoses could be contributing but i wouldn’t get into them just yet.
Thanks, that's what I plan on doing.
I actually already tightened the clamps on those hoses, but don't want to go too tight, I may add another clamp in between to secure it some more.
Gasket will arrive Friday, so I'll do it this weekend, will keep everyone updated on progress.
Thanks so much for all the input!