Glastron SX 175 Gas Smell

meistergeister

Seaman Apprentice
Hi,

I’ve been getting this gas fume smell in my Glastron SX 175 every time it is in idle. I will need to run the blower for a few minutes and then it disappears.
Also when I have it stored and covered up, whenever I uncover it I can smell the fumes build up.
I recently bought a gas fume detector and it seems to register near the bilge or anywhere near the bottom of the engine. I also ran it near the crevices on top of where the fuel tank sits and it also registers there as well.
I don’t see any gas in the bilge so I don’t think there are any leaks.
Does anyone who has this model 2001 year model know if this is normal?
Is the gas tank plastic and it just emits gas fumes?

I’m planning to store it in the garage for the winter and am a bit worried.

Many thanks!

tpenfield

Staff member
Nothing normal about a gasoline leak :rolleyes:

You will need to find the source and remedy it. If the gas fume detector can sense the fumes, then you have a problem.

There should be an access hatch to look at the top of the tank where the fuel sender and hose fittings are located. There should be a certification label describing the tank. That will tell you material, size, manufacturer, etc.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I would expect the tank to be plastic since it is from 2001.

Fuel lines do not last forever. Also check any fittings in the lines, filter connections and connections to the motor. Just a few drops of gasoline leaking could be the issue.

Fuel gauge senders can leak. I would check there for loose screws or a bad gasket.

Gasoline vapors are heavier than air, hence they settle into the bilge. Vapor is much more dangerous than liquid gasoline, and the liquid does not need to be present for there to be vapor. A lot of vapor can originate from just a bit of liquid gasoline.

You need to fix this before storage, as gasoline vapor often finds a source of ignition and kaboom....

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Check the fuel fill hose in the bend where it transitions from vertical to horizontal to enter the tank. Had two different fill hoses fail at the same location.

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
As others have said check all of the clamps, then I'd have the tank pressure tested.

meistergeister

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks so much for the details, I bought a set of tools to do a tank pressure test, will also see into checking those hoses. Does anyone have any experience in opening the compartment to the gas tank for the Glastron SX175?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Ignoring the fuel leak will take care of itself in a flash and boom

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Does your boat have the Carpet held in place by Snaps?

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Thanks so much for the details, I bought a set of tools to do a tank pressure test, will also see into checking those hoses. Does anyone have any experience in opening the compartment to the gas tank for the Glastron SX175?
I don't know about your exact boat on mine there is an access handhole threaded into a fitting in the floor above the sender and pick up tube. the entire glass floor above the tank unscrews to access complete tank and remove it if needed. I suspect you have a cracked fill or vent hose . No obvious signs of gas in the bilge water ?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Yours is easy, The back seat has to come out. There is a cover between the Ski storage and where the seat was. Remove that and the tank is right there. At least on my 2002 SX195 it is that way. I have never uncovered the tank on my boat, but the Dealer has done it a couple of times, and I was watching. I wish I had taken pics

meistergeister

Seaman Apprentice
I don't know about your exact boat on mine there is an access handhole threaded into a fitting in the floor above the sender and pick up tube. the entire glass floor above the tank unscrews to access complete tank and remove it if needed. I suspect you have a cracked fill or vent hose . No obvious signs of gas in the bilge water ?
Yeah no gas in the bilge water that I can see. It's been raining today so I'll go check these out when it stops. Appreciate it!

meistergeister

Seaman Apprentice
Yours is easy, The back seat has to come out. There is a cover between the Ski storage and where the seat was. Remove that and the tank is right there. At least on my 2002 SX195 it is that way. I have never uncovered the tank on my boat, but the Dealer has done it a couple of times, and I was watching. I wish I had taken pics
Oh thanks, I'll have to see, I know there is a crevice next to where the center carpet is laid out so I'll unsnap that and see how I can open it. When you say the Ski storage, that's the center floor panel right? Thanks!

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi. Is it just when the choke is on you mean ? I’d also check the engine oil for smell of gas or signs of fuel dilution of the oil. If your carb isn’t right, thermostat stuck open and engine running cold… or even running at idle for too long, you can get fuel washing down the cylinders into the oil. That would sure make whiff.

meistergeister

Seaman Apprentice
Hi. Is it just when the choke is on you mean ? I’d also check the engine oil for smell of gas or signs of fuel dilution of the oil. If your carb isn’t right, thermostat stuck open and engine running cold… or even running at idle for too long, you can get fuel washing down the cylinders into the oil. That would sure make whiff.
I can smell it when it's in storage and when I remove the covering I can smell it.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I assumed the SX175 had a Rear Bench Seat, like the 195. Does yours have a Bench seat or a Engine Cover and a couple jump seats that only kids van sit in?

meistergeister

Seaman Apprentice
I assumed the SX175 had a Rear Bench Seat, like the 195. Does yours have a Bench seat or a Engine Cover and a couple jump seats that only kids van sit in?
Oh I have that rear bench seat and the back opens up to the engine, should be very similar to the 195.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I can smell it when it's in storage and when I remove the covering I can smell it.
Yeah. She’ll still stink if it’s the oil that’s full of fuel and she’s covered up. Fairly common thing to have, on a carb engine and depending on use. Very common local to me. Especially for guys in my marina that run their engine for ages at idle at the jetty or if it’s not getting up to temperature. Or need a carb tune. Have a wee smell at the dipstick and the oil filler cap.
Other than that…check if your vent for the fuel tank has come off the vent fitting each end

meistergeister

Seaman Apprentice
Yeah. She’ll still stink if it’s the oil that’s full of fuel and she’s covered up. Fairly common thing to have, on a carb engine and depending on use. Very common local to me. Especially for guys in my marina that run their engine for ages at idle at the jetty or if it’s not getting up to temperature. Or need a carb tune. Have a wee smell at the dipstick and the oil filler cap.
Other than that…check if your vent for the fuel tank has come off the vent fitting each end
Just had it checked at the marine shop and they didn't find any issues, couldn't find any leaks but that smell is still so heavy.
They tell me it's because I'm keeping it outside and change of temperature will cause gas fumes to rise.
But I can clearly tell the fumes are from the gas tank but like they said no leaks.
I'm so confused, I mean if we have the canvas all covered we shouldn't be covered in gas fumes unless we have the blower running all the time.
When blower runs, fumes go away. But that's not practical when I have to store it in my garage.
Do any Glastron owners have any gas fume smells?