Glastron SX 175 Gas Smell

stresspoint

Ensign
not familiar with your boat or what motor you have .
is there a possibility the needle an seat could be leaking if carbed motor.

if fuel injected , maybe check shraeder valves , fuel pressure regulator, fuel cooler assembly. rotted fuel pump housing.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Just had it checked at the marine shop and they didn't find any issues, couldn't find any leaks but that smell is still so heavy.
They tell me it's because I'm keeping it outside and change of temperature will cause gas fumes to rise.
But I can clearly tell the fumes are from the gas tank but like they said no leaks.
I'm so confused, I mean if we have the canvas all covered we shouldn't be covered in gas fumes unless we have the blower running all the time.
When blower runs, fumes go away. But that's not practical when I have to store it in my garage.
Do any Glastron owners have any gas fume smells?
Doesn’t look like they paid attention while looking into it. What you describe is not normal and an indication of a leak most likely in vent side of tank - top fitting or hoses.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
agree with Scott.

you have a leak and your dealer didnt look hard

tpenfield

Staff member
Where there are fumes, there is gasoline. Just because the Marine shop couldn't find a leak does not mean there isn't one.

meistergeister

Seaman Apprentice
Doesn’t look like they paid attention while looking into it. What you describe is not normal and an indication of a leak most likely in vent side of tank - top fitting or hoses.
I'll check the fittings and hoses, haven't had a chance to do it myself yet. Leak doesn't necessarily mean leaking gas but fumes right?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
It is not likely going to leak fumes. You will find very likely find a wet gasoline spot.

meistergeister

Seaman Apprentice
So I got a chance to open up the lid and check the tank. It is a poly tank. I checked the hoses and the sender unit for leaks and the majority of the fumes came from the sender unit cap and some from the exhaust pipe connection.
I tried to tighten the pipe clamps a bit but that didn’t seem to really do much.
So these are the next steps I’m thinking of doing any advice would be much appreciated.
1. Put a silicone seal around the sender cap to see if that can seal off the fumes.
2. Change the sender and the exhaust pipe.

I’m trying to avoid option 2. The sender shouldn’t be much of an issue to change but that pipe is more of a hassle.

Also I noticed the exhaust pipe goes out to the same place where the gas fuel line is so I went out and checked the fumes there and it seems to have fumes there as well.

If I wanted to do a pressure test. I assume I don’t even need to clamp off the exhaust if they share the same output?

Any thoughts on if this is normal for the tank exhaust to vent out through the fuel line? For those that store this indoors do you smell gasoline?
I’m trying to see how I can upload a video of my testing process but the video is too big for the forum upload.

Much appreciate everyone’s help!

Attachments

• 7091F3FF-0901-49B2-ADA4-FB4DCA0D760F.jpeg
    7091F3FF-0901-49B2-ADA4-FB4DCA0D760F.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 7

Jamon Norton

Recruit
I had similar issue with my 1994 Mariah, is it worse with a full tank? My problem ended up being the seal had went bad between sender and tank, also regular silicone won’t hold up to gas need to make sure your gasket maker is up to par

meistergeister

Seaman Apprentice
I had similar issue with my 1994 Mariah, is it worse with a full tank? My problem ended up being the seal had went bad between sender and tank, also regular silicone won’t hold up to gas need to make sure your gasket maker is up to par
Thanks! So your other lines didn’t have any fumes? I definitely need to reseal that sender with some new gasket maker then. What should I do in terms of those pipes? They’re unfortunately not long enough for me to shave off and use the existing lines so if I need to I would have to replace them. I’m trying to upload a video to see if this can help get some more guidance from everyone.
Here is the link hope you can see it.

Fume test

Thanks!

meistergeister

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks! So your other lines didn’t have any fumes? I definitely need to reseal that sender with some new gasket maker then. What should I do in terms of those pipes? They’re unfortunately not long enough for me to shave off and use the existing lines so if I need to I would have to replace them. I’m trying to upload a video to see if this can help get some more guidance from everyone.
Here is the link hope you can see it.

Fume test

Thanks!
Oh also this isn’t on a full tank and I noticed it no matter how much gas I had in the tank.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I would first try changing the gasket under the sending unit for the gas gauge using the proper sealer for gasoline. If that doesn't cure it & you still smell gas from the sending unit area then change the sending unit. Sometimes they can allow fumes to escape.
This is something you MUST track down. Look what happened to poor Jay Leno.
I also installed a gas fume vapor detector on my boat, I think it should be standard on any gas inboard. However it does not take the place of yearly maintenance on the fuel system.

meistergeister

Seaman Apprentice
I would first try changing the gasket under the sending unit for the gas gauge using the proper sealer for gasoline. If that doesn't cure it & you still smell gas from the sending unit area then change the sending unit. Sometimes they can allow fumes to escape.
This is something you MUST track down. Look what happened to poor Jay Leno.
I also installed a gas fume vapor detector on my boat, I think it should be standard on any gas inboard. However it does not take the place of yearly maintenance on the fuel system.
Which detector did you get?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Have you tried Pressurizing the tank, and doing the old Soapy Water Test? The Label on the tank does state a 3 psi Limit though

meistergeister

Seaman Apprentice
Have you tried Pressurizing the tank, and doing the old Soapy Water Test? The Label on the tank does state a 3 psi Limit though
Yeah, I was going to do that as well, but that exhaust seems to use the same port as the fill port, so I'm confused as to whether or not the exhaust still needs to be clamped.
I also don't have an air compressor so will need to get one to test it.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Exhaust? Are you referring to the Vent? If you are trying to pressurize the Tank, it can't be vented. As for using a Compressor, that should exceed 3 psi in a Heartbeat. If you fill the tank, near full, it will only take a few pumps with a Manual tire pump to hit 3 psi

tpenfield

Staff member
You can use the vent line as the pressure source, but the general idea is to have everything else sealed. Also, it is best to pressure test a tank that is fully emptied. You won't need much more than a bicycle pump to get the 3 psi.

If you can get a fume detector, that could help isolate the source of fumes. If you think the fumes are from the sender area, try resealing/replacing the gasket for the sender, as has been suggested.

:unsure: No smoking please and be safe. FWIW - here is a picture of pressure testing the fuel tank to my Formula 330 . . .
IMG_3988-X.jpg

. I think I the valve stem from a bicycle tube to be able to pump air into the tank and use a balloon (green in the photo) over the fill fitting as a pressure/leakage indicator.

Not sure you need to go that distance though . . .

Last edited:

meistergeister

Seaman Apprentice
Yes I meant the vent from the tank, that seems to use the same port as the fill port. I currently have it winterized already and the thank is about 1/3 full? Is that ok to just use an electric bicycle pump to it up? Or is that dangerous for potential spark?

Are you guys able to see my video that I posted?

Here it is again just in case.

I will get a new gasket for the sender first, but the pipes I'm wondering if anyone can help comment on?

Thanks!

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
What you are calling the Gas output is the Vent Hose. The Gas Outlet is the 90 degree fitting

meistergeister

Seaman Apprentice
What you are calling the Gas output is the Vent Hose. The Gas Outlet is the 90 degree fitting
Yup I got those mixed up, do those seem to be leaking as well then? The vent seems to be getting some fumes, in that case do I need to also change the pipe?