Glastron HPV 165 restoration

Spartans

Seaman
Hello all, been on iboats quite awhile though other forums and this is my first restoration.
Got myself a 79 Glastron HPV-165 which will need work. So far the Glastron is playing nicely among the Starmada fleet in the pole barn .

Looking forward to everyone's help when i start documenting the boat interior layout, removing the cap and getting into the transom repair. Ill have a lot of questions and this website has always been by go to site for questions.

If there are any suggestions about bracing this hull against spreading while the cap is off it would be appreciated.

thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0322.jpg
    IMG_0322.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 7

zool

Captain
Since its on bunk trailer, you can just add some additional bracing on the forward chines and mabe support the keel. That hull is not much different then my checkmate 15. I didnt brace it at all when de-capped and it was fine, ive put it on and off about a half dozen times without a problem.

If u flip it to do bottom work, then I would screw in wood braces from gunnel to gunnel using the rubrail rivet/screw holes. You will most likely have to cut the cap seam at the transom to remove it.

nice little fishing machine....

todhunter

Canoeist
Wait...you're already past the denial phase? Well you're ahead of the game then. Agree with @zool - being on a bunk trailer means minimal bracing is needed. I didn't use any bracing on my restoration, however I did use ratchet straps to get the shape just right while glassing in stringers, then again while glassing in the floors. My hull only splayed by about 1" at the worst spot before glassing in the stringers/floor, and that was easily fixed with the ratchet straps. Cap dropped right on.

Spartans

Seaman
Gotcha. When u say cut the seam - is it tabbed intermittently or is it a continuous glassed shoebox joint that is cut from the inside?

zool

Captain
where the motor cut is, and no rubrail, it was continuous glass with a slight shoebox shape.

zool

Captain
the inside was the splashwell, so it came up with the cap

Kaze

Seaman Apprentice
Spartans. It sure would be nice if you could share a few pictures along the way. I have an HPV175 that I’m trying to decide if I’m gonna try to fix it.

Spartans

Seaman
No problem. It will be awhile as I have to remove the outboard and stuff but I’m planning on taking lots of photos on the way