Glasstron V169 needs help

zachgry

Cadet
Hellow all, I am new to this forum and i am needing help. Someone gave me a Glasstron boat motor and trailer over the last weekend and i am trying to get it ready for the water. The outside hull is in great shape but the floor and stringers are rotten. I pulled up some of the floor and by the early on looks of it i am bound to replace everything. So i thought its a free boat why not. Now my questions are.
1.Type of material for the stringers.
2.Type and size of plywood i should use.
3.which epoxy to use.
4.Should i put foam back in.

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated and used. I am wanting to do it right and not a patch job. And does anyone know about how much epoxy i will need. My boat is 16 feet long and the widest is around 4 feet.

NickAndJena

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Glasstron V169 needs help

You might take a peek at my project blog (see url in signature). You should probably take a close look at your transom too. I thought ours was good to go until I started probing around.

Anyway, to answer some of your questions. For the transom, stringers and ribs I've used 3/4" MDO plywood which is very solid (few voids at all) and is comprised of douglas fir. I then encapsulated those boards in resin and fiberglass. We are happy with the epoxy resin and fiberglass purchased from US Composites.

For the decking, we'll be using 1/2" thick MDO plywood that will be encapsulated entirely in resin. We'll be using fiberlgass on the perimeter of the decking and where we have seams. Still not done with this phase yet.

I hope to get some more photos uploaded soon.

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Following you around, Nick. Zach - check my site, too. I just finished my boat. There's excellent odds your transom is gone, too.

Keep reading the restoration and building posts on the site. The info you'll find is invaluable.

You can check my rebuild (transom, stringers, sole, battery trays) at the url below.

zachgry

Cadet

Thanks guys for the info. I will be posting pics within the next few days. I knew the floor was rotten but today i yanked on the seat and pulled it all the way over and the seat came out with a square of about 2 feet of floor with it. As i started digging deeper i found that the stringers are in very bad shape. Some of them are almost empty no wood just a fiber shell. I will take some pics before and during my floor rip up. Anyway thanks for the help so far and im shure i will be calling on more help before its over. Now all i got to figure out is how to take the top off of the boat.

zachgry

Cadet

Ok, I took the cap off and ripped out the floor and WOW! my free boat that only needed a little TLC was far worse than i expected. The transom was so wet and rotten i could just grab it with my hand and the wood just came apart like oatmeal. Yeah oatmeal. It seems that someone has redone this boat before and did a very poor job. The stringers are only glassed in the middle and not all the way around. Anyway, the stringers dont go all the way up to the front and since this boat has been done before and a poor job how do i know if the stringers are in there the right way. I would like to put them back the way they supposed to be. Also i need advice on what kind of grinding wheels/disc that would be cheap and good and when i get the new stringers in i would like to paint the inside stringers and all so what paint would be good. I tried to post a pic earlier but i cant figure out how to resize it but when i do i will post some pics because this boat was in bad shape.

jcsercsa

Captain

Ok, I took the cap off and ripped out the floor and WOW! my free boat that only needed a little TLC was far worse than i expected. The transom was so wet and rotten i could just grab it with my hand and the wood just came apart like oatmeal. Yeah oatmeal. It seems that someone has redone this boat before and did a very poor job. The stringers are only glassed in the middle and not all the way around. Anyway, the stringers dont go all the way up to the front and since this boat has been done before and a poor job how do i know if the stringers are in there the right way. I would like to put them back the way they supposed to be. Also i need advice on what kind of grinding wheels/disc that would be cheap and good and when i get the new stringers in i would like to paint the inside stringers and all so what paint would be good. I tried to post a pic earlier but i cant figure out how to resize it but when i do i will post some pics because this boat was in bad shape.

Hay zachgry, welcome aboard !!!!!

OHH yea that is straight from the factory !! If you look in the beginngin of my thread , I was complaining of the same thing !!!!!!! When the factory made them they only wanted them to last 10 years !!

Well mine made it 32 years !!I got a 76 Sportster , 15.6 footer My transom wasnt as bad as your is by the way it sound , but my stringers were split in 3 spots , and I could pull them with out cutting the glass !!!!

Just think when your done it will be better then new and last you at least 30 years !!

Have you checked out the classic glastrom wed site ?? I will post a link later !!

Ok again welcome aboard and were all here to help all we can !! John

jcsercsa

Captain

OHH YEA , Ps , get your wood now and get it drying !!! it can take a couple week to dry out !!!!!! JOhn

PSS us composities is the best place for poly or epoxy !! they got the best prices also !! well that bepends which side of the rockies you on zachgry ??