Glassing 10" and 14" stringers

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class
OK! got a quick question, Im getting ready to glass my stringers, they're all tabbed in to the hull with 6" and 8" tabbing of 1708. I'm going to do each side with 2 layers of 1708 and then cap them. My question is this, do I need to run the layers down onto the hull or can I just overlap an inch or 2 of the tabbing and then run it up to the top of the stringer? My stringers are approx 10" and 14" tall.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Glassing 10" and 14" stringers

Not sure I understand the question. Two layers of 1708 on the stringers should be all that's needed IMHO. Did you look at the drawings in my link below? If you did not go to the top with the first two layers then you could do one more that does and extend it out past where the last one ends on the hull approx 3" or more. This drawing is how you should do it if you Don't go over the top.

1708StringerswithCSMCap.jpg

Last edited:

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

WOG,
When I did my tabbing I didnt go from the hull all the way up to the top of the stringer, I only used 6" and 8" tabbing, so theres about 8"-12" on the stringer that isnt covered to the top.. So now I need to do the sides of the stringers .

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Well, you can either Put one more full layer of 1708 on both sides and then cap em with CSM or Make large caps with 2 layers of CSM that extend down the sides over the 1708. I noticed you stated on another thread that you thought you bought some unwaxed Resin from Home Depot. Sorry, you did not. They don't sell it. All Bondo Brand resin sold at the Big Box stores and AutoParts stores has wax in it. May not say so on the can but...If you call 3M and ask em, they'll tell you it does. That means if you let it dry totally you will have to sand it and wipe it down with acetone before applying another layer and even then it does not bond as well as the laminating resin that does NOT contain resin.

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, you can either Put one more full layer of 1708 on both sides and then cap em with CSM or Make large caps with 2 layers of CSM that extend down the sides over the 1708. I noticed you stated on another thread that you thought you bought some unwaxed Resin from Home Depot. Sorry, you did not. They don't sell it. All Bondo Brand resin sold at the Big Box stores and AutoParts stores has wax in it. May not say so on the can but...If you call 3M and ask em, they'll tell you it does. That means if you let it dry totally you will have to sand it and wipe it down with acetone before applying another layer and even then it does not bond as well as the laminating resin that does NOT contain resin.

Wow! I used 2 gals of the stuff in the begining, hope its not going to compromise my layups???:facepalm:

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Did you allow the previous layers to totally dry/cure before applying the next?

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did you allow the previous layers to totally dry/cure before applying the next?

it was the layer I put on the back of the transom with CSM that attaches to the hull, I did sand it and clean it with acetone really good

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

That'll be fine. Just be aware when using this type of resin you must do wet on wet layups. But in reality it's best to do that with ALL types resin. You get a much better chemical bond that way.

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yep works way better wet on wet for sure!