Gimme a Beer and a Brat

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Here in Wisconsin, Bratwurst are on pretty much every grill during the summer months. Naturally we need something to wash it all down with, so a lot of beer is consumed as well. Except for making it official by some Governor's decree, cheese, brats, and beer are official foods around here. You almost Have to consume these to be considered a true Wisconsinite.<br /><br />How about where you live? What are your local favorites?

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant
Re: Gimme a Beer and a Brat

Chicken Fried Steak.<br /><br /><br />although a nice grilled Brat and some cold beer sounds good too....We have that quite frequently at the lake!

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Ditto Willy ... :D <br /><br />but will add Braunschweiger and pickled herring to the list :D ;) <br /><br />KK--- ohhhhhhh .. love the Chicken fried steak!!!<br /><br />white gravy and ...... dang I'm hungry.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Remember when they used to give out free smelt like pretzels at the bar? <br /><br />Growing up on Lake Michigan - Priceless.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

where on the pond did ya grow up Pointer?? <br /><br />Fish boils and Friday night fish frys too! ;)

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

See that? Mention beer and brats and the cheeseheads take notice. I love it!

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

ROTFLMAO ... <br /><br />Got us hook line and sinker Willy .. <br /><br />..did I hear someone say 'BEER'? ..

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Can't visit WI without beer and brats and some homemade cheeze to bring home. :) <br /><br />It's almost like a state religion up there.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Barlow,<br /><br />Two Rivers is responsible for this twisted example of culinary contradiction. Get up there not near enough anymore. <br /><br />In my younger days the run would yeild several 5 gallon pails in an hour. You have to stop at the Susie Q and pay for it anymore. But I don't know if you could get fresher fish short of cleaning, cooking and eating it on the boat. :D <br /><br />Beer, Brats, smoked salmon, Packers, and good friends. Fall in Wisconsin - as close to heaven as you can get! <br /><br />Braunschweiger - you sound like an eastern WI native yourself..<br /><br />WILLY, you just played the Wisconsin anthem, for those who understand, we salute you and honor the call. ;)

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

I lived in Wisconsin most of my 33 yrs but moved to Missouri about 10 months ago. This Memorial day we went to a picnic at our Pastors house and I brought Brats........I was the only one to bring brats out 150-200 people what is up with that? :)

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Hey this is a good thing, Mike. Imagine if everyone discovered this food of the gods, there would be a worldwide shortage. Rationing of bratwurst would break out and Wisconsin would become the Iraq of the world.<br /><br />Butchers statewide would be warring over the best of the worst cuts of meat and secret spices would recieve top secret clearance. Natural casings would be transported by armored cars, in addition to the resurgance of sour kraut. He who has the buns owns the world.<br /><br />Heaven forbid you shared any of the brats, Mike.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Well I have to be honest here, my Pastor had went and got himself some filet mingon s/p? he gave me one of the cuts so I gave him a brat .....fair trade I figured. Man you made me relise I may have sold out my northern brothers now :( .......Maybe In order to make things right I should get myself some brats tonight a grill em up.........mmmmmmmm.....Brats.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Pointer- <br />how'd you like the Manitowac County Police??<br /><br />I liked 'em soo much that when I was living in the area ... I applied for The Manitowac County Sherrifs Dept. charge card to put my speeding tickets on.. those dirty screws!!<br /><br />-Lived outside of Dundee / SE of Fond Du Lac 20min. <br />-Worked in Fondy at the time.<br />-Played on the 'Big Pond' all I could.<br />-'Outlaws' lived in Sheboygan Falls/Johnsonville area.<br /><br />I was doomed to the 'ethnic food' :D ;)

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

For breakfast;<br />choice of eggs n gritts, or "swamp skillet" mmmm.....skillets!!<br />For lunch;<br />Roast beast subs made on publix sub rolls .Put what you want on it.<br />oysters and mass quanities of fermented yeast-based beverage.<br />Or hot wings---VERY hot wings.<br /><br />For dinwa;<br />Swamp cabbage, gator tail, or fresh catch o the day, grill-baked taters or sweet taters, watermellon.

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

Oh Yes--Swamp Cabbage down South.<br /><br />In New york City---Hearts Of Palm Trees and a MAJOR cost difference.<br /><br />Brats are a major meal all year round in our house.<br /><br />>>>>>>>HAPPY GRILLING<<<<<<<

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Barlow,<br /><br />You should have seen them back in the 70's. Good old boy network gave police jobs the all the sons of prominent types who had little or no skills and couldn't find a job anywhere else. Things are better now.<br /><br />Ever read the daily log in the local newspaper and notice that most of the speeders in the area are from out of town. I got along with most of the cops just fine but then again, I was a townie. Did get a two day trip to the county health spa, due to a "misunderstanding". :D

Parrott_head

Chief Petty Officer

Chili is always a hit here.<br /><br />Chicken Fried Steak and Fried Okra is popular.<br /><br />Calf Fries when you can get 'em.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

I lived in California for a couple of years and the big thing out there is a cut of steak called tri-tip.<br /><br />I still don't know what it is?

phatmanmike

Captain

grouper, shrimp, snapper, or if you live inland, as i hope i never do, cow or wild pig.<br /><br />all of this is excellent on the grill with a cold beer. not too shure about the cheese.<br /><br />b-b-q seafood is king here !!!!!

KaGee

Admiral

Tony Packo's Hot Dogs! MMMMMMMMM!