Gimble bearing question

Andrew W

Cadet
Quick question - I ordered a new Gimble bearing - supposed to be oem, came in a VP box, bearing is branded skf. However, when I spin it with my fingers, it feels a little rough. More so if you put pressure on an angle. Should a sealed Gimble be very smooth out of the box? Bought it off of eBay from a company that sells on their own site and Amazon - Leaders RPM. What’s weird is the price on EBay and the price on their website are very different. Maybe it was too good to be true, or I just got sent a bad one.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Call them. You could have gotten a bad bearing. It happens

tpenfield

Staff member
Quick question - I ordered a new Gimble bearing - supposed to be oem, came in a VP box, bearing is branded skf. . . . Maybe it was too good to be true, or I just got sent a bad one.

VP does not make bearings, so the SKF is what they used. Although I'm surprised a bit that it is not a Timken brand bearing.

It could be a bum bearing if it feels rough. I also find that the pre-greased bearings are not all that much greased. Not sure there is a way to add grease to them though.

Andrew W

Cadet
VP does not make bearings, so the SKF is what they used. Although I'm surprised a bit that it is not a Timken brand bearing.

It could be a bum bearing if it feels rough. I also find that the pre-greased bearings are not all that much greased. Not sure there is a way to add grease to them though.
Thanks - I guess my issue is I have no frame of reference. Just doesn’t seem as smooth as it should.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I`ve never had one that was free spinning, meaning you could not flick it with your finger and have it spin like a skateboard wheel. It`s probably good to use. I have ordered parts from Leaders before and have been happy.

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
If you have a marine parts store near by stop in and ask to see a gimbal bearing so you can compare