gay marriages are annulled in Calif

knobby

Chief Petty Officer
Strike one up for morals and marriage.<br />SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - California's Supreme Court annulled more than 4,000 gay marriages in San Francisco on Thursday, finding the city acted improperly in granting marriage licenses earlier this year in defiance of state law. <br />The mayor of the liberal city ignited a passionate nationwide debate in February by allowing 4,037 same-sex couples to wed over a four-week period before the California high court halted them as it reviewed the city's actions. <br /><br />A California law backed by a voter referendum defines marriage as a union of man and women, and polls show most Californians continue to oppose gay marriage. <br /><br />"We agree with petitioners that local officials in San Francisco exceeded their authority by taking official action in violation of applicable statutory provisions," the court wrote. <br /><br />The court ordered officials "to take all necessary remedial steps to undo the continuing effects of the officials' past unauthorized actions, including making appropriate corrections to all relevant official records and notifying all affected same-sex couples that the same-sex marriages authorized by the officials are void and of no legal effect."

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: gay marriages are annulled in Calif

Moving to DC.<br /><br />This is BAD news to many people.

NOSLEEP

Commander

Sure sounds like GOOD NEWS to me.<br />Add one notch for morality.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Huh .. I can here the bubble wrap snapping as boxes are being packed with ornate items while being stuffed into vehicles flying a rainbow colored flag on the radio antenna that reads, "MADISON WISCONSIN OR BUST!!"<br /><br />pardon my outburst ...

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by NOSLEEP:<br /> Sure sounds like GOOD NEWS to me.<br />Add one notch for morality.
Ditto to that NS.

BrianFD

Senior Chief Petty Officer

OK, maybe I'm naive or don't have my moral aptitude, and I certainly don't want to start any flamin' or bad-mouthin', but why is this anyone's business except for those people in those relationships?<br />And why does it take up so much of the legislature's high-dollar time discussing it?<br />Just askin'.

ZmOz

Captain

I agree with BrianFD. I'm not gay, but I'm not a homophobe eiter. Who cares if they want to get married? It's really not any of your business, nor is it the state's...

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Fear, Brian.... Folks are afraid of what they think is'nt "normal"... Maybe it's fear that they themselves, those who are "morally opposed", harbor some deep down repressed homosexual thoughts? <br /><br />It's really very funny... :) <br /><br />So Brian.. I know it's not saturday night yet, but what ya wearing? :p

NOSLEEP

Commander

It seems a growing number of people these days<br />don't care what anyone doe's. They don't care<br />what message it sends to our young people, how it<br />effects impressionable minds struggling with <br />some of the most trying times in their lives. <br />Being young is hard enough with out being led to<br />believe its ok to have forms of sex with your Buddy<br />or your girl Friend if you are female. Its just<br />natural we will teach it at schools.<br />Young people struggle with their sexuality all the<br />time. And now a self serving group want to <br />convince the world its normal behavior and make<br />sure our young people are taught the same.<br />What ever it takes to justify their wants and needs.<br />It don't matter how many,or whom they hurt to <br />justify their world.<br />Hey its 2004 anyone that thinks having sex with<br />the same sex must be homophobic. <br />People you are losing your way, and it has nothing<br />to do with religion.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

It's the parents job to instill morals into their impressionable children... That is the way..<br /><br /> It's not societys job to instill morals... It's not the governments job... It's strictly the Parents job.... If the parents can't deal with this issue, or any other issue, then the parents are'nt qualified to have children IMO...<br /><br />"it takes a village to raise a child"... Phoooey!

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Oh my goodneth! I'm jutht devethtated!!!

hayhauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's not a question of instilling morals. The state has "controlled" marriage for generations. For centuries marriage has been an institution, "between one man and one woman." I'm in no way for discriminating against homosexuals, but I'm also against changing what marriage has been for centuries. If they want a relationship like marriage then they should give one another durable power of attorney, so that they can speak for one another. And they should have a will, so their "partner" will inherit at their death.

JB

Sexual orientation is neither a matter of choice nor morals. Homo/Bisexuality has been around since at least the Classical Greek Republic. Probably since our ancestors first stood on their hind legs.<br /><br />It has never harmed anyone. All of the harm has come from those who know nothing about it and are afraid of it.<br /><br />Life partners of whatever gender deserve legal "next of kin" status and all of the benefits and burdens that go with it. That is simple ". . .liberty and the pursuit of happiness" which we are all guaranteed as part of "All men (the species, not the gender).<br /><br />Extending those constitutional rights to same gender life partners takes NOTHING away from ANYONE. Except maybe those to whom their homophobia is (false) self righteous sacred moral doctrine.

ZmOz

Captain

Wow...I can't believe I agree with JB. :eek: :D

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

I agree with JB,snapper and Brian. Those of you who fear homosexuality... got over it! It has nothing to do with you and religion. Boy, I'm so tired of this! :mad: <br />Bassy

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Gays wanting to be married does not bother me.<br />Gays loving each other is a good thing, I reckon, and of no concern to me.<br />Gays wanting the same tax bennies as other 'normal' couples would be nice.<br /><br />But I'm really sick of having this issue thrown at me. I'm sick of judges and city officials breaking the law to force this stupid issue. <br />I don't want to see a gay parade in my town. It's not needed, and I don't like people rubbing my nose in thier sin. And as for it being a sin, I didn't make it sin, or declare it a sin. The Bible did . I do try to live by what it is teaching me. But then,, I'm not gay. Therefore, this issue should only be settled by God. (let God sortem out).<br />Why can't gays keep it in the bedroom? Straight folks (the non-preverse ones) can. You don't see the "straight folks parade", do ya?<br />There isn't a "straight day" set-asside at Disneyworld, is there?<br />Like the "Odd Couple" tv series, there should be some provision for guys (even if they aint sleeping together) in the same household, should be given the same considerations as married couples get. Why do they need to be "in love" or "be married" to get this? Why not give these bennies to any couple, man,woman, or any combo therof, who live and have lived together for a year, the same priviledges?

LadyFish

Admiral

I don't give a hoot how long its been around, or what people do in the privacy of their own home. I will not be intimidated by other's so called morality and beliefs and, will not intimidate them with mine. We all have a right to our opinion even if it dosen't agree with yours.<br /><br />The problem I have is when a minority forces their behavior on the majority and that of our children to further their cause.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

'zacly, LF
emthup.gif

Merc805

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm starting to get worried about JB..<br /> :eek: :eek: ;) :eek: <br />This mellow approach is not Moderator material..