Gas Prices After Katrina

LadyFish

Admiral
Our corner gas station said that when he gets his delivery today gas will jump a whopping $.44 a gallon.<br /><br />With Labor Day coming up, it'll jump again here. I guess the President didn't act quick enough on tapping into the reserves.<br /><br />Anybody else experiencing a jump yet?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Gas Prices After Katrina

I filled up on 93 at WalMart on Friday; $2.75/gal.<br /><br />I filled up again yesterday (Monday) and it was $2.63/gal.<br /><br />I guess I had good timing and good luck. I have also heard of wholesale jumps of $.30 to $.50. Crude is flirting with $70/bbl as I write.<br /><br />Guess I need a bicycle. :(

LadyFish

Admiral

I just went and topped off the Sequoia and five- 5 gallon containers for the boat. $76.16 Ouch.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Heard on the boob-tube this AM could cause a 20 to 30 cent increase, :eek: OVER NIGHT!! :eek: Guess I'll fill up this eve. :confused:

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Just paid 2.55 yesterday, I am not normally a doomsayer, but I do honestly believe we will see 4 dollars a gallon. And no relief from that for 6 months to a year.<br /><br />We will know more in a couple of days.<br /><br />I fully expect 8-10 drilling rigs will be lost and many pipelines damaged.<br /><br />You can read more here:<br /> http://www.rigzone.com/news/article.asp?a_id=24789 <br /><br />Ken

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Katrina hammered Fourchon and Cameron. About 80% of all rigs in the area are serviced out of Foruchon.<br /><br />Even if the rigs survived, they wont be able to service them for a while.<br /><br />But current production comes from platforms. Read more:<br />"Hurricane Katrina forced operators to shut in over a million barrels of oil per day, according to the MMS. A total of nearly 2,800 platforms, more than 500 of them manned, were within the areas affected by the storm. Of those platforms, about 1,100 of them were within the direct path of the hurricane where they experienced hurricane force winds in excess of 74 miles per hour. <br /><br />ChevronTexaco was the operator most heavily impacted by the passing of Hurricane Katrina, with more then 160 platforms facing hurricane force winds, and another 230 platforms exposed to tropical storm force winds."<br /><br /><br />In my opinion, there is little chance these platforms survived the 160 mph winds and 100 ft waves. Ivan was much less powerful and did long lasting damage.<br /><br />Ken

LadyFish

Admiral

I paid $2.59.9 this morning before the station's fuel delivery which will bring it to $3.04 a gallon by days end.<br /><br />Thats UnGodly for here. :(

Booner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes $2.56 yesterday. This morning I saw a station that had raised the price to $2.77. <br /><br />PRICE GOUGING. :mad:

sangerwaker

Commander

2.809 here this AM. 2.579 yesterday. Labor Day weekend just got more expensive.

gonefishie

Commander

Here it was 2.69 early last week then went down to 2.49 on Friday and stay that there until Monday, one station was even at 2.45. Shell was at 2.55 which is normally a little more than everyone else, I use Shell for the boat exclusively. Took the boat there and couldn't get to the pump because there were peoples lined up and fighting to get to the pump. They ran out of gas except premium, the gas truck pulled up while I was still waiting. Knowing I could never get my boat to the pump with all the hoopla so I went home. To my surprise, it was still at 2.55 this morning. Some went to 2.69 while others stay at 2.49. Maybe the damage wasn't that bad and it seem like gouging is definetely going on. On the evening of 9/11/01 gas went up to $5/gal around here when the east coast was at 1.46.

Drybo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Heard it was nickel a gallon in Iraq, anybody know?

one more cast

Captain

We filled the car yesterday at $2.629 and I filled the truck this morning at $2.699. All the other local stations were $2.759

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Just got my new gas gauge in and installed and thought maybe you all would like to see it.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />
gasgauge.jpg

nothreat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have been a little confused by this Katrina price increase. A few weeks ago I heard on the radio that it wasn't a supply problem that was driving prices up it was a refinery problem. Now I hear that Katrina may cause a supply problem which will drive prices up. My question is how can having less of a product that we couldn't refine (use) anyway cause prices to go up? May be I am not seeing or hearing things right. Anyway, in my town gas was $2.99 this evening.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

There is a lot of profiteering out there.The rumor mill is being fed by special interest groups and we pay the price.The only reason why we pay this much is because big oil is allowed to get away with it.They pump the oil out of their private wells at a cost far less than we pay.The crude price that we hear mentioned is the "spot market" price where speculators buy on the spot to deliver in emergency shortage situations.This price number is used to drive up the price at the pump and because of it big oil makes incredible profits.<br />It is the highest time to buy oil stocks and oil futures.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I filled my rig sunday at $2.65. It was $2.71 today. Lord knows what it will be tomorrow. The prices fluctuate because they can. One minute it is a oil supply issue. When that isn't a convenient excuse, then it is a refinement issue. Hurricane Katrina is a massive, giant, whirling goldmine of an excuse to jack prices. The gulf has been slammed by hurricanes forever, oil platforms have been decimated with no effect on gas prices. Now, every little thing is an excuse to raise prices. I swear I am not a conspiracy theorist at all, but it sure looks like someone wants this economy to fail. I almost cancelled my dental appointment today based on gas prices, and instead decided my health was too important. I will just have to not make any purchases at all. I am also thinking the boat might get pulled and winterized, but I will watch and see for now....

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Prices are so high cause the world has proven it can bear the high prices. When we can no longer bear those high prices, they will go down.<br /><br />Ken

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

how many of you would skip work for a national gas out day. Everyone stays home for one day... all the same day and goes nowhere and uses no fuel in protest of the prices. Wonder what the effect would be.<br /><br />I dont mean.. not filling up that day and driving anyway.. that would only create a rush on the stations the next day... I mean staying home and not using any fuel for one day. Everyone.