funny how things - how I cut off my finger! update

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: funny how things - how I cut off my finger! update

Roscoe, <br /><br />That don't sound right. They should have taken you to the hospital where your injury would have been addressed right away. At the same time if the police wanted crime info the hospital would have taken blood samples, hair sample, etc. That is a standard proceedure if the police are investigating. <br /><br />Would they have done the same if your arm was ripped off? You bet not. You would have been in a medivac pronto. So why not an ambulance or at least a police car ride to the hospital that can re-attach fingers?<br /><br />Think about talking to a lawyer.

SoulWinner

Commander

We are sorry to hear about this Roscoe. Best wishes for a full and fast recovery!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

ambulance was there in about 12 minutes, pulse only 84, bp like 138/88 ???<br />was in the er about 12 min later<br />all the samples etc were taken while waiting for xrays and surgeon consultation, and for the iv to get sucked into me.<br />all samples were taken following all the legal and secure protocals by hospital<br /><br />somehow they decided that reatachment was not poss.<br />don't know if they were right<br /> <br />they cleaned and bandaged it, then back to work for an hour + <br />of accident review and cause paperwork and interviews<br /><br />multi nat corp with 100,000 employees, that never loses a case<br />ain't no use in fighting that battle.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Man, sorry to hear about your finger. If you've ever thought about a career change, maybe you should look into being a High School Woodshop teacher. All of them are missing a finger or two. :) <br /><br />Seriously though, heal quickly, and best wishes.

Tyme2fish

Commander

So sorry to here about the loss of digit. 55 years old here and all parts and appendages still attached (although some not functioning as well as in the past!) ;)

Twidget

Commander

Really sorry to hear about the accident Roscoe. Best wishes on a fast recovery.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Tis a sad day when we have an injury amongst one of our own. Best of fortunes in your recovery there roscoe...Chief

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

ok, for Kuya Mike and others, how it happened:<br /><br />Work in a plant, we use augers to transfer some products.<br />Similar to a grain auger, but all ss, heavy duty, food grade stuff.<br /><br />At the bottom of the auger, on the underside, there is a drain tube, approx 1" long and 2" diameter, this allow water to drain during sanitation processes.<br /><br />Tube is to be capped when in use.<br />It was not.<br />coworker noticed it, and the product that was spilling on the floor.<br />asked for help.<br /><br />we both go to auger and to look for the cap, figuring that if we find the cap, we will shutdown and lockout the auger, then replace the cap.<br /><br />we look thru the spilled product and I don't see the cap, figure it must be in the parts rack. I start to lean back and pull my hand back to my body and somehow my middlefinger glides past the drain tube. <br />toock !!<br />not sure what has happened, but grabbed my right hand with my left and took off. Stopped, looked back at coworker, she has large eyes, which now look more like baseballs. She says "GO"<br /><br />I take off to first aid room about 250' away, pass suporvisor on the way, room soon fills with 10 first responders, one of which grabs the 911 phone to the hospital. Ambulance on its way.<br /><br />note - sanitary work glove may have aided in pulling finger into drain tube.<br /><br />Now I am sitting in aid room and there is a lot of commotion, looking for someone to take charge. no one does.<br />Some want me to let go of my hand, someone mentions wrapping my 2 hands together, get him over to the sink...<br /> WAIT !!!<br /><br />I have to tell them that there is nothing they can do, the bleeding is controlled, the ambulance will be there in a couple minutes, and anything they try to do will just make a mess.<br />Now, will someone please take off my bumpcap and remove my earplugs. The room gets pretty quiet now. <br /><br />Teamleader comes thru the door and says " i got it".<br />I ask "1/4", 1/2"? she cringes and walks out.<br />I then say " Must be an inch then, its not like its a secret, I'm the one holding the stump." Silence.<br /><br />I tell my teamleader that since I am going to the hospital, I will need my wallet (photo id for the drug test) from my locker, #331, 23-13-35. more silence<br /><br />???<br />Sure am glad I was there to supervise ! ??<br /><br />They decide to push me down the hall but the emt's are in the hall already.<br /><br />The plant manager is with them.<br />He halts production and brings all 85 department employees over to view the scene.<br /><br />6" extensions are being welded on all auger drain tubes, probably already done, will be by Monday for sure.<br /><br />Very little blood, pretty much clotted by the time the emts got there, a thick 4x4 gauze pad wasn't even half soaked, thru the whole ordeal.<br /><br />Any ??<br /><br />Doc says go to work, light duty, office work. So no workmans comp for lost time. Since we areslow at work now, I volunteered for a layoff for the first week so will get unemployment check, and keep one of the lower senior people working.<br /><br />Ofcourse all medical bills will be paid, and should get about $2400 from ins com., state manditory minimum settlement for loss at first (distal) joint, middle finger, dominant hand. Could be more if there is loss of flexion or other factors. Better than nothing. Got bills to pay.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well roscoe, could have been worse I guess.<br />My dad had his wrist almost severed plum into by a brick cutter.<br />A great ol country doctor sewed it back on and he used it till the day he died.<br />He was an auto tech with Ford Motor Company for 22 years.<br /><br />Best of luck and heal quick.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Roscoe, how awful! I'm so sorry to hear about your accident. I'm glad you're in such good spirits and are handling it well. I wish you the best in recovery.<br /> My brother cut his middle finger tip off with the lawnmower blade when he was around 14 yrs.old and they were able to attach it. Don't ever reach into a clogged lawnmower with it still on. He has no problems and can't hardly tell except its a little crooked.<br />Bassy

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Awful sorry for your mishap, Roscoe. Not much comfort to ya, but I should have cut off fingers a number of times. Just lucky.<br /><br />Quick healing to you!

one more cast

Captain

Just think how much fun you can have when it heals. At every stop light stick the stub up your nose and it will look like your whole finger is up there digging for booger nuggets. :D

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer

roscoe<br /><br />You have my sympathy, both for your injury and the lousy compensation you get for it.<br /><br />I don't understand the drug tests. Seems they're trying to find evidence of drug taking by you? Wouldn't be tolerated here. Yet.

FLATHEAD

Captain

roscoe, Sorry to hear about your mishap. I feel your pain. Five years ago my left hand went through the table saw at work. Left me with three fingers cut off below the first knuckle. I too was taken to the hospital and cleaned up and bandaged, then waited a full day till my surgery. They do this to give any damaged tissue time to die before they work on you. In my case it did not matter I did not have them reattached, but still was in surgery for four hours. <br /><br />You'll get used to it my friend, it is all a matter of your attitude. Heck I was back up and running in no time. If my physical therapist only knew I was out huntin, fishin, dragging deer through the woods, riding my bikes. Yep I said therapist!! Required by workers comp, it sucked, they had me taking baby steps, all the while I was in full gear at home, that was the worst part of the whole ordeal for me.<br /><br />As far as the compensation goes,, nothing they pay you will be enough for the loss of a digit. It generally will be about $10,000 a knuckle.You'll get all the stuff in the mail directly from workers comp in the next few weeks. Whatever you do have them send any settlement you get directly to you,, not to your employer, no need to have a big mouthed benefits personnel spouting off to whole place how much you were compensated. The drug test is just routine, something that is required by workers comp, don't take it personal. <br /><br />Good luck my friend, I am sure you'll be fine.

sangerwaker

Commander

LMAO @ OMC! :D :D <br /><br />On a more serious note, I wish you a speedy recovery. Seems like you're doing well on that part roscoe. Hopefully you will be able to do all of the things you like with no limitations. Hey, you might find some things you're even better at now. Who knows?

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Dang Roscoe...Sorry to hear,best wishes on a speedy recovery.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Wow, good thing you kept your cool.<br /><br />Good luck on your recovery.<br /><br />Ken

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

wow roscoe<br /> gotta get them fingers moving quicker :) .<br /> hopefully the plant safty officer will make the correct mods so this does not happen again.<br /> but I saw the drug test BS. was working at a plant in texas. a friend of mine mashed his hand in a punch press. lost most of it. they took him to the clinic for samples BEFORE anyother medical attention. lucky for him I took pics of the machine just after the incedent when no one was looking. we had complained about the missing safty gaurds and the wired around safty switches for months. he finally got some compensation but I quit 2 days later. wasnt worth it. to many safty problems. so prayers go out and hope ya have a quick and painless recovery. just be careful sticking your hand in your pocket :)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

omc, you're killing me :) <br /><br />Yes Tinkerer, thet are always looking to blame others. <br />Must take the tests if there is any injury needing medical treatment, or if you cause damage to property.<br /><br />Thnx Flahthead, looking forward to pt, i hope she is young.<br />Can't imagine a check for that much, but i'll take it, got bills to pay. The numbers I got were off the state website, surprised there would be more than $200.<br /><br />You guys and gals are all being pretty nice to me. thanks.<br />i thought for sure someone would be yelling at me.<br /><br /> All get well wishes are much appreciated.<br /><br />Now, anyone want to plow the snow for me? Will trade for one live musky lure (meow).