funny how things - how I cut off my finger! update

SoulWinner

Commander
Re: funny how things - how I cut off my finger! update

Hey Roscoe, I'd love to plow snow for you......but I'm down here in florida. We are all glad that you are in good spirits, don't let this get you down.<br /><br />BTW, I'll never look at my frozen pizza the same....

FLATHEAD

Captain

Roscoe my man,,I urge you to check things out throughly before you agree to a 200 dollar settlement from Workers comp. In Pa. there is a thing called specific loss injury, this is what you have. If you chopped your finger off below the first knuckle that is considered half a finger gone. Thats is indeed a specific loss injury!! <br /><br />There should be a table of compensation available for you to look over somewhere, I would ask for it. In my case I found out that by law I was entitled to 27,000 dollars in a nice lump sum tax free benefit. These laws are set up by the state , not your employer. My employer would not divulge any of this info to me at all, mostly because they did not know the workers comp act. Once I got in contact with a workers comp rep they helped me a whole lot. Get in touch with a rep from your state and ask some questions. It'll pay off I guarantee it. 200 dollars cant be right, I mean I just don't think that the benefit can be that much different from state to state.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

to clarify,<br />i thought it would be some tiny amount like $200.<br />State website says $2400 to start, plus multipling factors, + pain, sensitivity to heat and cold, + loss of flexion motion, + travel and treatment times, etc.<br /><br />PLUS!! plant manager said he witnessed an identical accident 25 years ago, and he should have know better. Witnesses to this statement are being contacted.<br /><br /> So maybe it will reach 10g, but don't expect it to get that high.<br /><br />Won't sign or settle for any amount for several months or longer.<br /><br />State will contact me in 7-10 days to start a dialog.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

the omsbudsman (omnibudsmen)is your friend. They spelling may be slightly of but this is a representitve provided by the state to help you understand the comp system. Just because he is providedn by the state do not fear opening up to him as he is in fact there to help you not protect the coffers.<br /><br />Sorry to hear but look on the bright side...there is always one. My sister works on a dairy here locally and they were grinding corn about two months ago, the boss reached across an auger to grab somthing as he had done a thousand times before and the auger grabbed and took his right hand 3-4 inches above the wrist. Them augers can be some bad dudes. Randy is also got a bright side to look to as less than a year ago another farmer pulled a simular stunt and the auger got a better hold...he did not make it. You are a lucky man as augers get quite greedy some times.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

You didn't say, but I just thought I would mention it in case you're thinking about it. <br /><br />Some people worry about getting addicted to pain meds, and some doctors are timid about prescribing them. In my experience (and doctors who specialize in pain management will tell you), taking pain meds to relieve pain will not cause addiction. If you have some substance abuse issues in your past or in your family, you might have reason to be cautious. Otherwise, if it hurts take the pills! If the doc won't prescribe enough, get another doc. Just take the warnings about driving serious.<br /><br />just an opinion,<br />jtw

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

jtexas, i have been lucky in my life to have little experience with pain killers. i never even had a tooth filled. took the vicadin the first night, and knew i couldn't drive. also realize that as i get used to them, i will be tempted to drive -- but won't<br />they make my mind wander and<br />those things give you some weird dreams.<br />and. ...... constipation.<br />more than enough reason for me to limit their use.<br /><br />my family is riddled with drug addicts and alcoholics, fortunatly, the little exposure i had 30 years ago wasn't pleasurable or addictive. Although anyone can get hooked when they meet the right drug, i also believe in the theory that some people are genetically predisposed to addiction and will become addicted to everything.<br /> <br />i took a total of 5 pills in the first 72 hours.<br />then had dressing changed last night and the male nurse was hack. took 7 pills in the next 14 hours.<br /><br />saw surgeon today, looks good, probably no surgery, just let it heal. it feels better the way they bandaged it today.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

OK, one month after accident update.<br /><br />So the amputation took place slightly above the distal joint, which is the first joint in the finger.<br />Cut was on an angle, so some of the fatty tissue or pad of the finger was left hanging there. This was a good thing, I guess.<br /><br />The wound was left undisturbed except for being irrigated at the ER, and antibiotic ointment. The tissue slid over the end if the bone and crystalized, which is also a good thing, whatever it means. There has been visual evidence of new tissue growth for about 2 weeks. There should be 1/4 inch of new tissue in a day or two. The skin is also starting to grow and they think the skin will rapidly grow and cover the new tissue in 2 weeks. We will see.<br /><br />The wound is still open, with Silva ointment being applied daily to keep it moist and bacteria free. They do not want the tissue to dry out or a scab to form.<br /><br />Most of the pain is gone, more of a soreness now, but there are times that it feels like you are holding it in a hot frying pan.<br /><br />Still on light duty at work which means stand around, but try to look like you are doing something. Worst part is trying to keep it warm when you are just standing around in a 45* room.<br /><br />Anyway, things are going well, albeit slow. <br />Spring walleye fishing will be done without me this year so all of you that head to the Wolf or Wisconsin river won't have to worry about me catching all the fish.<br /><br />And dad is doing great after his bypass surgery too. ( new word of the month OPCABG-5 - Off Pump Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting - 5 times ) How the heck do they graft an artery onto the heart and the aorta while the heart is still pumping? Seems it would be like trying to replace the hydrolic lines on a tnt unit while the motor is being trimmed up and down. Oh yeah, and you better not get an air bubble in there.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Hey Roscoe-<br /> Glad you're doing so well. Also glad your Dad is doing well. My Dad had a quad bypass in October without the lung machine too. Amazing! My Dad's doing well too, except he doesn't walk like he should. But ain't noone gonna tell him to. Its all up to him.<br />Keep up the improvement!<br />Bassy

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Man roscoe, sorry to hear about your misfortune.<br /><br />Just a note here. If the machine was an accident waiting to happen, you do have a case. After re-reading and realized that all of a sudden 6" drain extensions were added? Uh they knew they should have been done earlier. It just took someone (you) to get it done.<br /><br />A close friend of mine lost part of his hand in a material mixer. The auger removed his thumb and two fingers. This was a case that they attached his big toe to where his thumb was.<br /><br />He got a lawyer and won a 1.5 million lawsuit because the machine was missing the guard.<br /><br />Good luck roscoe

Twidget

Commander

Its good to hear of your quick recovery. I hope all continues to go well for you and your Dad.