Fuel pump no power/ relay to pump help

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You can but there will just be the mating connector in there with nothing to probe. Pull the connector off and measure the voltage at the helm side of the connector.

Did you try following the wire from the ignition switch?

EDIT: Forgot you won't have voltage if you pull connector apart. Would have to jumper main battery feed between connectors.

Last edited:

flyhigh123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You can but there will just be the mating connector in there with nothing to probe. Pull the connector off and measure the voltage at the helm side of the connector.

Did you try following the wire from the ignition switch?

EDIT: Forgot you won't have voltage if you pull connector apart. Would have to jumper main battery feed between connectors.

The wire right after the ignition switch goes behind a few panels. I found one panel i can work through but will be hard to follow. . And the main cable connector is NOT the rectangle box I thought it was. It's a round cable connector. I will test it at that point and see where it leads with OHM and 12V.

Fun Times

Staff member
Is the "main wiring harness cannon plug connector at the engine" the Main Cable connector on the diagram?
^ Yes and it sounds like you found the cannon plug in post 83 but just in case the plug end should look something like this for reference,
MAR6199-01-06.jpg

Oh and by the way, the folks at iboats appreciate you buying the new Alternator from them vs someone else.
What part number did you buy? Maybe when this is all done and said you can go write a review under the Alternator you bought and say some good things about Bruce.:applause: http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Parts-Acc...ed.1?q=3857561

flyhigh123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A moment of silence....

HUZAAAAH!!!!

I found the issue! I took both your recommendations and started to ohms test and 12v test the wiring from ignition to connector and connector to Alternator.

little by little I started to find the issue. The ohms test immediately told me something was wrong from ignition to engine. It was reading 700, as oppose to zero. I worked halfway along the line and found the purple wire and tested it and knew it was somewhere from ignition to halfway. Then i worked around the ignition switch.

I sanded the nut on the ignition and tested the 12v. It read 12V, which was weird when i didnt get 12v halfway down the line. Then i tested the line 6 inches from the switch, line wasnt reading 12V, only about 1V, and the ohms dropped to about 250. So that was weird, the nut was fine. I poked the purple wire at the connector to the nut and it too read nothing.

Most likely the corrosion caused a connection issue at the nut. The nut is stuck solid. I cut the purple wire, and touched it directly to the sanded portion of the nut, turned the engine on, fired it and it ran perfectly in the on position!

I have on order a replacement brass ignition switch along with a kill switch which arrives tomorrow. Hoping to get it installed by tomorrow when it gets in amazon 1 day.

I just wanted to thank Bruce and Fun times for the help.

Kicking myself that it was such an easy fix, working backwards to forwards, but i really learned a lot and i have a new alternator with proper wiring to boot.

I hope to have no more updates from here.

Fun Times

Staff member
Glad you found the problem and glad you have the correct Alternator too. Patience of working through it all has finally paid off.:eagerness::encouragement::thumb::)

flyhigh123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Glad you found the problem and glad you have the correct Alternator too. Patience of working through it all has finally paid off.:eagerness::encouragement::thumb::)
Yes! Luckily my mechanic didnt have space for me and diligence with your help got me to the end game! back on the water soon.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Good news. Those type of problems are tough to find. You had it narrowed down between the ignition switch and the engine which was a huge step.

If you had not had that issue, you would still be running with a miswired fuel pump system and alternator so you got that out of this.

Last edited:

flyhigh123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Good news. Those type of problems are tough to find. You had it narrowed down between the ignition switch and the engine which was a huge step.

If you had not had that issue, you would still be running with a miswired fuel pump system and alternator so you got that out of this.
Fully agree! Yah it was a tough problem cause the issue was the contact point on the igntion switch, not the wire itself. Just happy to have solved the issue. On top of that, learned a lot, and didnt give up. I have no issues with paying a mechanic to fix something, but if I dont do it myself, i'll never learn.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Do yourself a favor and find a real paper OEM manual. Most of the manuals online are almost impossible to read the electrical schematics. You just need to figure out exactly what model you have.