Fuel Fill Line Routing - Good or Bad Idea

76SeaRay

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I am getting ready to close in the floor on the starboard side so I need to route the fuel fill and tank vent line under the new floor deck. The original design has the fuel line coming under the helm and making a turn to the front of the galley (4 feet) and then up the wall to the gunwale fill fitting. A friend of mine suggested moving the fill fitting aft so that the fuel line runs directly down to the tank for better filling. Anybody see a problem with making this change? I was concerned with the original design anyway because the fuel and vent line run right up behind the galley alcohol stove.

Fuel Fill Line.jpg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
just make sure the vent line has the proper p-trap

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Yeah, them long runs are a pain at time. If a dip in the hose it won't fill properly. Mine is a straight shot to the tank, and the vent has the loop to stop water intrusion.

76SeaRay

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks for the thoughts. Before I move it, I guess I need to check to see how much room I have as the steering cable and engine wire cables have to run inside the top of the gunwale past the proposed new point.

76SeaRay

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Looks like I have room to run the steering and engine cables later after I put in the fuel fill line. I am planning to run it and the vent line inside of ABS pipe in case it ever needs to be changed later. Any problem with ABS pipe under the deck?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Looks like I have room to run the steering and engine cables later after I put in the fuel fill line. I am planning to run it and the vent line inside of ABS pipe in case it ever needs to be changed later. Any problem with ABS pipe under the deck?
Nope. Alot of boats have the same piping for wire runs.