Frustrating first project

Here is my first day of the rebuild. I begin with a heater de-thawing my boat.

DSC03577.jpg

DSC03578.jpg

Re: Frustrating first project

The problem is that it keeps getting worse the more I remove to replace the transom. I found that the holes on the bottom that I am attempting to fix came from whoever added the cross beams to the boat. Add the holes in the back and the stress from someone adding too large of a motor with no support, and I have no idea what to do. I want this ready for spring break. I was thinking about just taking it to the welder and having him add supports inbetween the cross beams plus thicker triangle pieces to replace the back brace. I was going to leave the middle open so I can just notch the transom. I though about also adding two additional metal braces above the new transom and then tie them together with the triangles. I was also going to have the welder fix the holes on the bottom the best he could, and also the stress cracks on the side. I also though about just finding another cheap boat on craigslist and just using that. Then I would be for sure ready by spring break.

The first tow pictures and the fifth one show the triangle brace against the transom.

DSC03581.jpg

DSC03582.jpg

DSC03583.jpg

DSC03584.jpg

DSC03585.jpg

DSC03586.jpg

pete44

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don't feel bad....I am like alot of people her is tackling this project on our own. I work shift work and I walk out there in my garage and give a heavy sigh.(I am tired before I start).It is a BIG job!...My pics are posted under "87 SeaRay Innerds" post..I have been on this on and off for a month now!...I am being careful...Already punched 3 holes (with rotozip) when I first started..Don't use that now..(except very carefully)..I have a small garage ..boat has to sit cate-cornered to make it...I have an old hobby car (with tarps on it) in driveway..I do not like working outside this time of year so it will wait. (I last tried to remove windshield from it to re-do birdcage and had it out 95% then guess what ...it cracked..) so it sits covered..and there is always the money thing for parts...Hang in there and great luck with your project!

Pete44

Thanks for the encouragement Pete, I appreciate it.

I cannot believe that like 100 people have looked at this post and nobody has any advice!!! Spring break is coming quick, I mean if this boat just needs scrapped, I just need to know this! My son will be heart broken if we don't get to take her out. Please, I need some help. :confused:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Ok, since you asked....I specifically didn't comment because I can't quite tell what I'm looking at. It's such a strange boat. I don't know what is up with that metal with the dimpled pattern in it. Never seen anything like it. And from what I can see it's in pretty sad shape. Sorry.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Ok, since you asked....I specifically didn't comment because I can't quite tell what I'm looking at. It's such a strange boat. I don't know what is up with that metal with the dimpled pattern in it. Never seen anything like it. And from what I can see it's in pretty sad shape. Sorry.

Same here.

I just took it to the welder and he told me he would be looking for a new boat. I give up. I guess I should have known more about boats when I bought the dang thing. I'm going to craigslist.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

We can certainly help you with opinions on any potential purchases. My dad bought a nice 14' tinny with a 5HP Merc on a newer galvanized trailer for $650 this past fall.

jonesg

Admiral

I wasn't going to comment because the pics are incoherrent, its impossible to tell what they are or what they are trying to show.
I don't see anything that would stop me from mounting a 10 hosepower outboard . For bad leaks I would try JBWeld.
If the transom is weak install new plywood to the outter transom, sealed up good with resin .
Just use it. Its an old boat, get an old outboard and don;t expect to be racing it or waterskiing.

Is it that obvious that my wife is photographer? I may have found a good deal on another boat. We will see how that goes. I know it needs a new transom, so I will work on my picture taking skills and post some improved pictures.

pete44

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, If you can get some "wider angle" full view shots it would help...Is this boat a aluminum/wood composite?

Pete

jonesg

Admiral

Those dimples are the same idea as dimples on a golfball, to lower drag.

Stand back and photograph the problem area, then zoom in.
I would clean the repairs with a grinder and fix it.
Transom on a tinny is no problem at all.
They sell a special epoxy repair kit for alum boats, supposedly very good, someone poasted pics here last week and it looked good.

wvmedic

Chief Petty Officer

I have seen those dimples on one 12' aluminum jon, the aluminum was very thin on that jon. Not much for supporting hardly anything, was more of a row boat than anything.

oklahomariverfisherman, what size boat is that? And as has been said try to get some better pictures, it might not be a lost cause but better pictures are needed to better determine that. If it is the type I'm thinking of you wouldn't be able to weld it without burning thru, that might be why the welder told you to look for another boat.

Jeff

wvmedic

Chief Petty Officer

If that is a twelve footer, and is the thin aluminum I'm thinking it is. A 5 HP is probable max HP for that boat, I relay think you could probably do a little more support to the transom. Then maybe some gluvit to seal her up, then go fishing.

Try to get some better pictures before you scrap it, though if it is the type of boat I'm thinking you still might want to look for an upgrade.

And if that's the case there are plenty of people here that wouldn't mind steering you in the correct direction. Just give them some info as to what you're needs are for the boat and what type of water you plane to use it in. The small 12' jon I was referring to my nephew had, it was little more than tin foil and would have only been suitable for very calm almost glass like water.

Jeff

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Is that dimpled surface aluminum or something else?

The leaks in the aluminum on the bottom are easy to fix with gluvit.

We had a 1950 something 3 horse Sears and Roebuck 1 cylinder on it. To be honest, my wife got a hook in her finger juglining, and refuses to ride in anything that slow ever again. I already purchased a 9.9 Nissan, thinking I could repair this boat and put it on. I also need to install a jackplate because the motor is a long shaft. Time is my enemy at this point. Spring break is in a couple weeks, and I want to run some jugs and trautlines. I will get some better pics and post them.

This boat is 14' long and I know it as a semi-v. It has a v on the front, but the back is almost completely flat. We use it for lake fishing, and we also fish a small river while carrying a rifle. The area is infested with feral hogs.

wvmedic

Chief Petty Officer

If it's a 14' the 9.9 might work, jack plate is a good idea might be able to make it into something for support on the transom.

I would like to do some wild hog hunting, did a caged boar hunt once. That was enough for me, not downing anyone but that isn't what I call hunting even if it was on 400 acres.

Jeff

I'm not a big fan of high fence hunts either. This is all on public land. I talked to a guy that went to TX for a "fair chase" kudu hunt. He told me it was pretty pathetic. Like 40 acres and 1 hour and the hunt was done, animal gutted and all. I would rather get skunked than shoot an animal that would be as well off tied to a post.