Free Sea Ray Is It Worth It???

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander
I got a phone call from my uncle last month asking if I wanted a boat. When I asked him what kind it was He just said "a big one" I told him that I would be up his way in a month and have a look. Well when I showed up I wasnt expecting this.

Its a 1988 Sea Ray Sedan Bride 305. Twin Mercruiser 260 Inboards with a Generator. Only ran in fresh water. It has every single receipt and maintenance work order from the Sea ray dealer in a cabinet on the boat. I went through them all and turns out it was winterized in 2009, had the generator installed along with 2 new prop shafts and props (they are in the boat) at the same time. The top was torn down because it was to tall when it was hauled to his place. Its all there just needs cleaned and put back together.

The only problem I found was the rear deck felt a little spongy. I wonder if the transom could go bad in a boat like this?

He said I could have it and has the title in hand. The only problem is its sitting smack dab in the middle of Pennsylvania and I live in Virginia outside Norfolk. I'm looking at about 3 grand to get it hauled down here. Think its worth messin with?

103_2698.jpg

103_2630.jpg

103_2685.jpg

103_2695.jpg

103_2673.jpg

103_2677.jpg

Peter Eikenberry

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Free Sea Ray Is It Worth It???

Why haul it all the way to Virginia? Haul it to the a marina on the Susquehana and then run it down to the Chesapeake and then to Norfolk. That'll give it a nice shakedown cruise. It''l give you a good chance to see if everything works.

windshield_time

Seaman Apprentice

I don't know if it's worth it but I'd take just cause I love Sea Ray's.

CascoBay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The fact that it was winterized in 2009 and at that time had new props tells me it was in fine running shape (who gets new props on a bad running boat?)

Taking a boat that large is a personal decision. It takes a lot of money to maintain and run a boat like that, only you know if you can handle those costs. If you can't, it will simply be a burden to you.

Bendie

Seaman

Sounds like a gift. Say thank you, yes. Part it out and be cash ahead, or love it. Wish I had this problem. :)

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

The fact that it was winterized in 2009 and at that time had new props tells me it was in fine running shape (who gets new props on a bad running boat?)

Taking a boat that large is a personal decision. It takes a lot of money to maintain and run a boat like that, only you know if you can handle those costs. If you can't, it will simply be a burden to you.

I owned a 30 foot Sea Ray Sundancer with twin 260's and it wasn't a problem.
This boat just happens to weigh 11000 lbs more...

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Holy smokes, that is one big girl! For me I'd be at a loss as to how to handle something that big but I am sure you have those angles covered (moving it, slipping it, storing it).

I dunno but here might be another way of looking at it...

Take your hauling fee of $3K and add to that whatever it will take to get her water ready, oh say $500 just for the heck of it (shoot your first fuel fill up will be big $$). So say you saw this boat on craigslist for $3500. Would you want it? Would you buy it? I think that would probably answer your question right there.

I know you were thinking about picking up a big Starcraft. Well, this boat sure would cover the big part being about 6' - 8' longer than most of the big Starcrafts. Course at the same time weighing in at roughly what a small house would, along with lots of extra mechanical (generator, 2nd driveline, etc.) stuff.

Man, I sure love free stuff but I wouldn't even know how to handle a monster like this! If one of my buddies owned it I'd like to go for a ride in it though. I'd be happy to bring the soda:)

Either way have fun man!:D

CascoBay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I owned a 30 foot Sea Ray Sundancer with twin 260's and it wasn't a problem.
This boat just happens to weigh 11000 lbs more...

Okay then you have a good idea if you want it or not.

Summer Fun

Banned

Tell your uncle that I'll be down next weekend with a truck & trailer like this one. :D.
Its new home can be in NY. :)

P11085.jpg

scipper77

Commander

Wow!! I see your dilemma. There is no such thing as a free boat.

Generally if the floor is soft you could be opening Pandora's box. But that boat is more than I could ever hope to own myself, so for free it's hard to turn down.

Before you spent $3K to ship it maybe you should have it surveyed. That way you can make an informed decision.

For what it's worth, I'd rather spend the $3K to get the boat fixed up and sell it. Then use that $$ to but what you want at home. That's if after the survey you feel that the cast of bringing it up to par is doable.

If I was a boat shopper I'd consider a boat that was surveyed and restored to be a big plus over some family boat that the owner swears up and down was in great shape.

How would your uncle feel about this plan?? Family first, don't burn bridges. Would he want a cut of the profit. That has to be a $15K boat if it was 100%.

Maybe he (uncle) doesn't have the finances to fix, maintain, and operate the boat. He realizes that it will be worth zero if it continues to sit so anything that saves the boat is a positive outcome??

drewpster

Commander

If you have the resources to handle/ ship/ store a boat that size AND the resources to part it out at very least then you would be crazy not to take it in my book.
Even if it is trashed you can get $3k out of the parts, but that takes effort.

Anyway you look at it, it is a commitment.

Just know, what I mean by commitment, is to a nut house.:D

GET IT!
drewp

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

If that boat was sitting up in Ohio closer to the great lakes or Pittsburgh near the rivers it would be a heck of allot easier to sell. It may as well be sitting in the middle of the desert. I think I'm going to put it up for sale on eBay and let someone else worry about moving it. I would love to take this boat, I hate seeing this this Sea Ray land locked. I did the big boat thing for a couple of years and I am happy not having to buy every engine part twice and no slip fees.

I asked my uncle how he got it there in the first place and he said that he rented a trailer in Ohio and pulled it with one of his big rig tow trucks. He had to give the trailer owner a 2K cash deposit and a 500 dollar fee. The Marina loaded the boat onto the trailer for him with a hoist and it was a SOB to get off the trailer in PA. He said he has no idea how he would get it back on a trailer the way its sits now...

Oh well anyone want to trade a 26 foot Starcraft for a big SeaRay???:D