Force 120hp won't start

Jiggz

Captain
I made a video. Hope this Will help
As mentioned why did you not lift the tie bar high enough? Like half way. Hold the tie bar by its mid point and lift it half way. It sounds like the unit is fuel starved either because of improper idle setting or carb idle setting. The tie bar is just there, the flat white bar right under your hand (when you placed your hand on the top carb. Here's a pic.Carb Tie bar.jpg

Last edited:

Jiggz

Captain
And if by lifting the tie the unit starts, then you know it runs except that idle settings need to be adjusted. Try again first before going any further. And for further info, this is the idle adjustment. Need to loosen the nut first before turning in the screw (clockwise) to increase idle. Here's the pic.
Idle Screw.jpg

Last edited:

Maus01

Seaman
And if by lifting the tie the unit starts, then you know it runs except that idle settings need to be adjusted. Try again first before going any further and let us know.
I dit lift it... Only i dit it on the top carb. The the bottum one goes allong with it becaus of the tie bar

Jiggz

Captain
Yep. I saw that but it was not enough. Lift it at least half way just to make sure it is not fuel that is causing the problem. One thing I noticed the way you are starting it, there's no choke applied. You can manually engage the choke while starting for the first time. If fuel is available on the carbs, you should see fuel overflowing from the carbs mouth (front). When this happens stop starting. Disengage the choke. And then lift the tie bar half way and start again.

Jiggz

Captain
Ok. Try engaging the choke first and lets see what happens. Not sure but I do not see any cooling water connected. If this is the case, DO NOT RUN THE MOTOR MORE THAN A FEW SECONDS AFTER STARTING.

Last edited:

Maus01

Seaman
Tnx for helping anyway. I really appreciate it. At around 18 sec. I applied the choke by hand. That helps.... And indeed when I do it for a longer period the fuel comes out

Maus01

Seaman
Question..... How do you proper set idle for everything on this engine. I thought I Dit everything okay... But not so sure anymore

Jiggz

Captain
Setting the idle properly can only be done when engine is running. You can initially set it to make it start and run, e.g. setting the carbs idle fuel air mixture to 1.5 turns out from slightly seated on both carbs. And then the idle screw at the bottom of the timing tower, screw it in so the hash mark on the cam advancer is in line with the roller's screw slot. The screw on the roller is an eccentric screw, meaning is it not straight body but elongated on one side. So it helps is pushing the roller away from the cam to keep the carb shutters open a little. See 2nd pics showing the idle screw adjustment.

Jiggz

Captain
Tnx for helping anyway. I really appreciate it. At around 18 sec. I applied the choke by hand. That helps.... And indeed when I do it for a longer period the fuel comes out
Instead of just choking one carb, use the small round bar on the other side of the carbs. Lift it all the way and that should close both choke shutters on both carbs. Here's a pic.
Choke Rod.JPG

Maus01

Seaman
Setting the idle properly can only be done when engine is running. You can initially set it to make it start and run, e.g. setting the carbs idle fuel air mixture to 1.5 turns out from slightly seated on both carbs. And then the idle screw at the bottom of the timing tower, screw it in so the hash mark on the cam advancer is in line with the roller's screw slot. The screw on the roller is an eccentric screw, meaning is it not straight body but elongated on one side. So it helps is pushing the roller away from the cam to keep the carb shutters open a little. See 2nd pics showing the idle screw adjustment.
Tnx I will take a look at it tomorrow. It is already late En dark here.

The Force power

Commander
Question..... How do you proper set idle for everything on this engine. I thought I Dit everything okay... But not so sure anymore
SEE my post #13
Also; I would that power head installed so it would get the proper cooling

Jiggz

Captain
SEE my post #13
Also; I would that power head installed so it would get the proper cooling
I cannot emphasize enough the need for proper cooling. I also wonder if he has any means of turning off the motor if it ever starts running. If the motor ever starts, it'll only take seconds to overheat which could result in catastrophic damage to the rings, piston and cylinder.

The Force power

Commander
I cannot emphasize enough the need for proper cooling. I also wonder if he has any means of turning off the motor if it ever starts running. If the motor ever starts, it'll only take seconds to overheat which could result in catastrophic damage to the rings, piston and cylinder.
Well, at least the power-head is already off :D

Nordin

Commander
Looks like this is a power head to a L-drive.
You can see back fire through exhaust manifold tube that are for the L-drive power head units.
Do as The Force Power suggest, do the link and sync.