Force 120hp won't start

Nordin

Commander
Rebuild the one you have.
An auto electric workshop that rebuild starters for cars will fix it.
New brushes, clean up the commutator and maybe new bushings then it will be okey.
If you buy a new one be ware of the cheap Chines starters.
They are crap.
Buy a Prestolite or a Bosch starter, maybe a Arco too.

Maus01

Seaman
Rebuild the one you have.
An auto electric workshop that rebuild starters for cars will fix it.
New brushes, clean up the commutator and maybe new bushings then it will be okey.
If you buy a new one be ware of the cheap Chines starters.
They are crap.
Buy a Prestolite or a Bosch starter, maybe a Arco too.
5732n is the number on my starter. It was already on it. I think its crap. I cannot find a Bosch starter for my engine. Do you have a number for me??

gica

Chief Petty Officer
Go to Crowley Marine website and get a part number from there.
Your motor is a 99?! From the model you gave in the beginning I thought it was a 91. 120LD91D.

Last edited:

Maus01

Seaman
Welll. New starter applied. New intake for the carbs.. And it starts... But its a strukkle. Its hard to start. Anny ideas??

Maus01

Seaman
Reaction on throttle is good. Its not on the lake yet. Standing in the garden

gica

Chief Petty Officer
I don't know what you repaired as of yet but hard to start is either gas supply, weak spark, could he other things also, carb adjustment, float and choke , bad timing, etc. But fuel supply is the first.

Maus01

Seaman
Spark is good. Easy 1 cm gap on tester. Fuel pomp working good.. timing set at 28 WOT. Engine is completely rebuild.

gica

Chief Petty Officer
Spark is good. Easy 1 cm gap on tester. Fuel pomp working good.. timing set at 28 WOT. Engine is completely rebuild.
Air fuel water leak and spark are pretty much the culprits. Too little or too much of any of it except for water which should not be there. I had a fully rebuilt engine too, but a water leak triggered all kinds of things to get changed, like stator, trigger, carbs gaskets and intake gaskets, even fuel pump and hoses plus clamps. Had I started with the water leak I would have save quite a bit. I am still waiting for some gaskets will let you know when done. But the fuel caused the no start without starting fluid. When that was done I was left with motor dying at idle in gear. That is the water intrusion. Number 4 piston showed the culprit clearly. It was probably leaking in more than one place since the cover for the exhaust was not straight anymore. Have fixed that problem already. So in your case fix or recheck the fuel components if it is hard to start. Adjust the choke. Then re-check the Voltage and resistance using the DVA adapter, for trigger and stator make sure it is perfect or close . Then stick a camera endoscope in all the cylinders to check for water. Spray fuel mix to see if it starts that way. Once started does it run good. Put it in gear. Clean screens on fuel pump and recirculation system. You might need more gaskets. If that is all good even the bottom crank seal could be bad, don't know if you changed it in the rebuild, you should have. Make sure carbs are all good. I have 2 of everything to test because of the twin engines, much easier.
There is not much else. The rest is tinkering in the water mainly lots of time spent.

Last edited:

Maus01

Seaman
Ok. The engine is stil hard to start. But when its running its really snappy on the gas. But no idle. Nothing. How do i test the stator with a dva meter?? Maybe its a bad stator... And what are the correct sparkplugs for this engine 120ld91d... Is it the ul18v champion?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Is the choke solenoid working and adjusted properly?----Are you advancing throttle in neutral . YA of NEE ?----Are you engaging choke while cranking it over to start?-----Or do this test.----Remove sparkplugs.----Put 6 drops of fuel in each plug hole.----Install the plugs.---Crank it over and post what you hear / observe.

Maus01

Seaman
I use choke. I have to.... Or it won't start at all. When engaging choke the butterflies close completely. I have to use throttle also maybe 2/3... When it fires up the rpm is really high. I can lower it. But at one time its stops Can't read the rpm because the tacho isnt working. But its at high rpm

Maus01

Seaman
I Tried with the fuel drops.... It wants to start... But no luck. I dont think its a fuel problem. The plugs are wet. I set timing at 30 WOT. but is the timing correct at iddle then???. Where should the possition be of the timing tower? Iam lost here. The plugs are ngk b7hs