Florida is in for some wet weather

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Florida is in for some wet weather

Oh goody....The thing is jogging more easterly, right towards me.<br />What really draws vacuum, my daughter lives just inland of Ft Myers Beach. Her hubby does not want to evacuate...If he lives, he's dead.<br />Mrs 12Footer just got off the phone and gave it her best pitch to evacuate, but no go.<br />I wish I had prepaired better. I prepped for a low level cat#3 ----- Now the sumbench is heading directly at us, and is a moderate Cat#4!!<br />Oh well, hope to see you fine folks on the other side (of the storm that is).<br />Power outages in Colier County (to the south) now. Bridges are begining to close, and all first-responders have evacutated Sanibel, and the causway is closed.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Cape Coral Hospital is now in lock-down. They are evacuating it.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I'll be online as long as the roof is still attached, and phone and power are operating.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

145 MPH in storm, with 10MPH sustained here, 56MPH Gust.

LadyFish

Admiral

OMG its nearly a CAT5. I'll be thinking bout ya. :( <br /><br />All the forecast sites are overloaded right now and I can't get an update.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

It is cat4. and thanks for your thoughts n prayers.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

sustained is now 20MPH, and 61 Gust.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

There went power. Gotta go, am on UPS juice, and it's too dark yo type.

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

I hope all is going well 12Footer. Im on vaca next week, but I'll try to peek in and hear what you have to say about down there. That's if you aren't in jail after killing the son-in-law. :D

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

keepin good thoughts for yur family 12'er...<br />and all folks in her path.<br />good luck!<br />M.Y.

LadyFish

Admiral

Anyone who has been through a hurricane before understands the impact that a Cat4 or Cat5 can have. My prayers are with all Floridians that this catastrophic storm spares the lives of those in its path.

BrianFD

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I feel for yas that had problems with Charley, but see my "Good News" post:<br /><br /> Good News from St. Pete Beach <br /><br />For those not so lucky, you are in our thoughts & prayers! Godspeed!<br /><br />
17_1_10.gif

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

It was rather strange here in West Palm today, especially knowing what was just over the horizion to the west.. The western sky was a light gray all day with very high clouds overhead, but nothing i'd consider overly ominous..<br /><br />This morning when I went to the shop it was very still.. Not a breeze at all, and the sun was shining... Around 9am the breeze picked up, but not much.. Around noon the breeze picked up again and by 3 or 4pm gusts were maybe 20-25mph under somewhat sunny skies.. <br /><br />All day I kept waiting for at least a little nasty wet weather from the outer bands, but none ever came... Did'nt see one single rain drop today.. Not a drop since late thursday night when a little rain came thru... <br /><br /> The winds slowed down as the evening went on, and as i type this, it is very still again.. <br /><br />Tomorrow's first light will tell all... Hope all the west coast florida iboaters are still with us, with homes and boats intact...

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well looks like the winds have died down some to sustained at 85MPH now. That's a good thing.<br />Baten down the hatches N&S.Carolina.

walleyehed

Admiral

I know there are many on iboats from this Florida region, and I (we) wish you all the best....<br />One member, in particular, that I've tried to contact, is Dhadley, and I've had no response, hopefully it's due to power outages, and all else is well.<br />I think both hands together and a heads down for a short period would be in order here.<br />Wish the best for all involved!!!!<br />K

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Well, we survived. Power restored 40mins ago. If I didn't believe in God before, I would surely believe now. Arcadia (where Mrs 12Footer is from ,and where her family lives), is in very bad shape. Punta Gorda is worse. Lehigh Acres (here) sustained mainly roof, lanscape and power systems damage.<br />All releatives of ours have survived, but some homes are now unliveable (Cape Coral, Nephew,Mark and family, Brother, Dennins, lost back room, one boat damaged). But no injuries except for my ankle , which I twisted in the dark durring the storm.<br /><br />We lost wind gauge in a tree-fall, but sustained winds were 50MPH with 115MPH gusts were last record.<br />I rigged-up a 12 RV demand-pump, and let the small boat fill up with water. Between that and the areator tank, we had at least water for bathing and flushing. My little 3500Watt genny gave me fitz!! The needle valve would not shut off completely, and the thing ran like poop....But it ran with much sweat and blood from yers truely...Had to babysit the POS well-into the morining.And I can't find a kit for it. We didn't loose any food, but played -ell trying to cook on a grill.<br />We have a slash pine for a back yard now. But having reported the bad news, we survived, no structural damage to my home. Power is still out to well over 1 million residences as of now.<br />I lived-tru Huricane Donna in 1959, but I was 7 years old...Words cannot express the hardships my niegbors are enduring right now. I thank God my family made it thru, and now it's time to see what we can do for our neigbors.<br />Does anyone want to buy a slightly weather-beaten home in "paradise"?<br />I am outta here asap.

LadyFish

Admiral

Thanks for the update 12footer, we've been worried about our Florida friends and their families.<br /><br />I'm glad to hear you and yours are all okay. Hopefully Earl will miss Florida next weekend, I'll keep my fingers crossed for y'all.<br /><br />The latest prediction for Earl is:<br /><br />in 120hrs Lat 24. Long 89.0w winds 90 kt

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

12footer- Sure glad you and your's made it through. Thanks for letting us know. I don't know how you all do it. You are all so much braver than I could ever be. My prayers go out to all who have been touched by Charlie.<br />Bassy

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Thanks, y'all. LF, If that thing comes within 120miles of us, we is outta here.<br />Bassy, it aint bravery. It's home. I guess it's also relative. California has fires and Earthquakes to atempt coexistance with. <br />Mississippi has floods and hurricanes.<br />Nevada has dry...Where does a guy launch his boat n go fishin?<br /><br />Illinois has Chicago.Let's not go there again.<br />Alaska has blizzards.I do not 'mush' well.<br />Honduras has lizzards.Better than blizzards, but still--<br /><br />I'd link to some pics of the area and my back yard, but my web host don't link to iboats (see red ecks avitar).<br /><br />But after 52 years here, I think I've just about had it. If youi know anyone looking for a little slice of paradise, i got a heck of a deal for them (lol).