Flooring Repair/Rejuvenation

CapriBX

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have our 2001 Bayliner Capri 2150BX. It has plywood flooring with carpet covering everything. I’ve looked at my friends boats and they all have white flooring that appears to be gelcoat.

My question is, can I do this to my floor? Is it just a matter of gelcoating the floor? Or, do I need to redo the wood and fiberglass it all first?

Thanks.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Your friend's boat is constructed differently than yours. The gel coat deck is part of the top cap/top half of the boat

Your plywood floor is part of the hull

There is no feasible, affordable way for you to install a solid, decent looking gel coat deck

If you want a gel coat deck buy a boat with one

CapriBX

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Your friend's boat is constructed differently than yours. The gel coat deck is part of the top cap/top half of the boat

Your plywood floor is part of the hull

There is no feasible, affordable way for you to install a solid, decent looking gel coat deck

If you want a gel coat deck buy a boat with one
Got it. I wasn’t sure. Carpet it is.

tpenfield

Staff member
Boat envy is a difficult thing. :LOL: Next time you shop for a boat, keep that in mind. I agree with the others, what you see is what you got.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
There are a variety of floor coverings that you might like better than carpet. There is marine vinyl, and various tiles, mats and other things. These can all go over a plywood deck. The key is to make sure the deck is solid and waterproof.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Well it can be done but it’s a LOT of work…when I replaced the deck in my boat 15+ years ago I threw that carpet in the trash since that’s what causes wood rot by holding in moisture if you are in a damp climate. I had a ‘glass shop gel coat the whole deck in non skid gel coat and it still looks pretty good 17 years later.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Lou, if the deck is waterproof, the carpet holding moisture will not rot it. You may (may) get some mildew, however.