Floor stringers and transom replacement is it worth it??

21 celebrity

Cadet
Originally Posted by 21 celebrity
I am face with the same question. I have a 21 ft 1987 Celebrity ss The boat has a 454 that I have just had the short block redone ie punched out 30 over crank turned and polished. I also bought larger oval port heads. Ive owned the boat for 8 years and it had a soft spot behind the captains chair forever. Since i took the engine out to rebuild it I decided to do the floor and now that will include the stringers and transom as they are gone as well. I really do love the boat and the way its equipt. When on the water it's a strong running boat. Just looking for input on if it's worth it. It does have ship to shore power and on board battery charger. I love the 110 outlets in the cuddy so i can plug in a fan when I sleep on it. Thanks in advance for any input!!boat.jpg

sheboyganjohn

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Floor stringers and transom replacement is it worth it??

I think you have answered your own question. You have fresh power, you love the set-up, and you have attachment to the boat. The Sea Ray I am rebuilding I have no attachment to, needs some engine work, and I like (not love) the layout, but I am still doing it.

Raist11

Seaman Apprentice

Well, no one can really tell you if it's worth it or not. Will you get your money back? Probably not, but anything is possible. I'm not an expert or have any experience with boats. But I do have experience with what's important. And that's what you have to ask yourself. Is it going to be worth it to you? When you are finished and can take it out on the water, will you have a sense of happiness? That's what is important. Whether that happiness comes from seeing your family smile on the boat or just your own satisfaction.

Heck, look at what I'll be working on. A crappy 14ft Vanguard that nobody cares about:
http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...trii-restoration-thread-beginning-609553.html

But when it's done and I take the family out on the water my wife is going to be happy, which will make me happy. That's what's important. I won't get any money for it. It was her family's boat and her Mother recently passed so it's important to her.

Wow, do I ramble.

21 celebrity

Cadet

Thanks for the input. I just have to stay motivated and keep plugging away!!

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think you have answered your own question. You have fresh power, you love the set-up, and you have attachment to the boat. The Sea Ray I am rebuilding I have no attachment to, needs some engine work, and I like (not love) the layout, but I am still doing it.

I second this post. I know when I get done with my boat (see my thread below) it will be better then factory i.e. solid and safe. If you add even 10 years newer to my 20' cuddy I couldn't afford it. I'm getting a new boat along with a sense of accomplishment and pride. I never plan to resell (well maybe one day when I'm navigating a walker- -god willing) so it's $$ value means nothing to me. You like the setup, you've got dollars into the engine, go for it I say. May your beer be cold and your transom hard.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Here's the way I look at it...If you have to spend 200 hrs of your time and $5,000 dollars of your money (prolly a lot less than that) to bring her back to a good state of repair, You will KNOW that she is Perfect!!! Where can you buy a boat thay you KNOW is perfect for $5,000 bucks??? Now if you want to pay yourself for your time...That's another kettle of Fish!!!!:D

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here's the way I look at it...If you have to spend 200 hrs of your time and $5,000 dollars of your money (prolly a lot less than that) to bring her back to a good state of repair, You will KNOW that she is Perfect!!! Where can you buy a boat thay you KNOW is perfect for $5,000 bucks??? Now if you want to pay yourself for your time...That's another kettle of Fish!!!!:D

What Wood said. Spot on.

rickryder

Commander

I agree with the above! I have no regrets fixing up my boat. It's was fun to do and being out on the water with a boat that you restored is a great feeling,especially when someone says "Hey nice boat" Makes ya feel the pride and accomplishment.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

When restoring your own boat you get a like new boat for a small fraction of the cost of a brand new boat, to me that's more than worth it.

You'll know your boat inside out when you're done and the quality of work done will be much better than the "hurry up production" work done at the factory.

zool

Captain

When restoring your own boat you get a like new boat for a small fraction of the cost of a brand new boat, to me that's more than worth it.

You'll know your boat inside out when you're done and the quality of work done will be much better than the "hurry up production" work done at the factory.

And by knowing your boat, structurally and mechanically, inside and out, the maintenance and repair savings will far exceed the cost of rebuild over the life of your ownership. Its the gift that keeps on giving...

chconger

Petty Officer 1st Class

I look at it as the only way to be sure of the boat under you.

So many critical aspects are hidden under the deck, that even a brand new boat will contain more uncertainty than something you restore yourself.

1NewBoatGuy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Weigh your options,
-Don't plan on doing this in your driveway. Murphy's law applies, as soon as you put a layer of glass down it will rain.
-Make sure you have the space to rebuild your boat (a big enough garage)
-Do you have the cash available for not just he materials but additional tools required if you don't have them
-Watch craigslist very close and don't be afraid to low ball people. Some times they bite. If you inspect a boat thoroughly you can find good deals for less than 5,000. Use small deficiencies with the boat as price leverage. People sell boats for just a few reasons. The boat is rotten, they bought a bigger better boat and don't need it, they are broke and need the money. Look for the people needing money, try and find a person with a lost title (there easy to get replaced in WI anyway) because most people wont by a boat with out a title and chances are your the only one that will make an offer. I Offered $1000 for a boat a lady was selling for $2400 and she accepted. The boat needed a title and about $400 worth of work (parts included, motor stuff mostly). I now have a good solid running boat.

-Count your time as money spent, I do because I could be working and earning money instead of fixing a boat.
-Yes the knowledge learned is never a bad thing, but when do you expect to use it again?

Again this is my opinion, boat overhauls are pricey and take tons of time to do them correctly. I was in this situation not too long ago and found that replacing stringers, floors and transoms is just not feasible since doing it right meant disassembling and rebuilding the entire boat. Take in to consideration the condition of the cuddy and the floor under i. This is going to be a tough area to work and if you plan to remove the cap from the hull, then your looking at a whole new can of worms to think about.
Just my 2 pennies anyway, good luck with what ever path you choose.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Here is my take on boat restoration. I am at 80% on my resto project.

Make sure it's the boat you want.
1. Do i have enough room to do the job inside! This can be done outside...but with alot of Difficulty. I tried and i would still be at stage 2 if i was outside.

2. Do i the funds! ......It takes alot more money than you expect... Material, Tools, Consumables...and more consumables... and more consumables.... It adds up quick! Alot of nickel and dimes!

3. Do i have the time? .......Takes alot more time than you think! Unless you have done it before

4. Am i going to keep the boat when finished? You will never get the money back!....What you will get back is, the satisfaction of knowing what you have and what you have accomplished.

Step back and evauate the situation before ripping things apart...... If you are set... with the people here on iboats and your willingness.....your boat will be like... almost new! It's a 1987

Good Luck!

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

Well, I take it you thought it was worth it. :). Looks great.

LK

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

Just saw this thread and have started following it. Looks like you're making great progress! Nice work so far.

Jim

rwelts

Seaman Apprentice

awesome. i have the 86 version with the 350. will be doing the same rebuild over the winter. I went through the same "ugh, should i or not". got some great feedback here. i'll be watching and will be updating as well after the season is over (still out on the lake every so often right now)

21 celebrity

Cadet

Thanks for the comments. I changed the transom up a little it looked like they just pieced the 2nd layer together. It didn't come down as far as I have brought it, but the swim platform and the the trim tab top mounts will now go through the 2 layers and I'm thinking of using ss bolts instead of screws. The screws were real loose and I believe that's where the water was getting in.I am also debating on lowering the
rear floor section. The old floor dropped down about 3" where the Battery and trim pump mounted.I'm thinking of lowering the entire floor down that 3" from the back of the rear seat to the transom, this way I can access the sides of the motor easier and install a dual battery setup.Thoughts or concerns about this???? As always thanks for the comments

NickMcCabe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You are making great progress, this thread has recharged my motivation to keep plugging along on my project.

21 celebrity

Cadet

Well I'm a little dicouraged right now... I was looking at the back of the boat and i noticed a slight separation by one of my through hull exhaust holes and i pressed on it. It seems like I had pour adhesion on a small there it move a little bit the rest seems to have adhered very well. Is it possible to squeeze a little epoxy in that area and re clamp it? Can I even use an epoxy with the polyester resin? Or do I need to pull the new transom out and re adhere the entire thing? Thanks for any input:facepalm: