floor Materials for Aluminum boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: floor Materials for Aluminum boat

FYI The glue is not the same

Oh really please explain the difference between the glue used on marine plywood and exterior?

All of my research has shown me that the marine plywood and exterior plywood use the same exact glue.

Used for decking in an aluminum boat....... you will not see a benefit in using marine vs exterior. However, since your wallet will be lighter and you might feel the warmth in your heart......there really is no need to spend the extra money. It will not be re-couped even in the sale of a boat.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I have been called to task on this question many times so I have spent MANY hours researching this on the WEB. This is a Direct Quote from the APA (American Plywood Association)

"
What is Marine-grade plywood?

Marine-grade plywood is a specially designed panel made entirely of Douglas-fir or Western Larch. The grade of all plies of veneer is B or better, which means it may have knots, but no knotholes. The panels are sanded on both faces, and are also available with Medium Density Overlay (MDO) or High Density Overlay (HDO) faces. The maximum core-gap size permitted is 1/8 inch. Its exposure durability rating is EXTERIOR and the glue used is a fully waterproof structural adhesive. It is considered a ?premium? panel grade for use in situations where these characteristics are required, i.e., for boat hulls and other marine applications where bending is involved.
Marine-grade plywood is available in 4x8-foot sheets of 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 5/8 and 3/4-inch thickness. Sheets up to 5x12 feet are also available. Available grades are A-A, A-B, B-B (face-back), MDO and HDO.
Marine-grade plywood is not treated with any chemicals to enhance its resistance to decay. If decay is a concern, it should be pressure-preservative treated to an appropriate standard."

There are an OVERWHELMING number of articles that state the following.

[SIZE=-1]Marine grade plywood is built to much higher specifications than exterior grade. The veneers are more carefully selected for marine grade to minimise interior voids and veneer repairs during manufacture. Both types are glued with resorcinol adhesive, which gives them the characteristic dark glue line. More care is taken in the assembly and gluing of marine plywood boards. The British Standard Specification for marine plywood is BSS 1088.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]It is normal to see some voids in the inner veneers if you inspect the edges of an exterior grade board. There should be no edge voids visible in a marine grade board.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Marine plywood cannot be made from anything other than resorcinol adhesive because it has the best adhesion properties to wet wood. If your plywood does not have dark resorcinol glue lines then it is not marine grade. However, remember that exterior grade also has the dark glue lines.[/SIZE]

So Based on my Research I would have to say that the Glue used in Exterior Ply, Marine Ply, MDO and HDO is all the Same. Number of Plys, Quality of Wood, Voids are all variables. Oh, and PRICE.

Hope this helps With Everyones EVALUATION!!!!!

I'm just sayin...:D

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I have been called to task on this question many times so I have spent MANY hours researching this on the WEB. This is a Direct Quote from the APA (American Plywood Association)

"

Marine-grade plywood is a specially designed panel made entirely of Douglas-fir or Western Larch. The grade of all plies of veneer is B or better, which means it may have knots, but no knotholes. The panels are sanded on both faces, and are also available with Medium Density Overlay (MDO) or High Density Overlay (HDO) faces. The maximum core-gap size permitted is 1/8 inch. Its exposure durability rating is EXTERIOR and the glue used is a fully waterproof structural adhesive. It is considered a ?premium? panel grade for use in situations where these characteristics are required, i.e., for boat hulls and other marine applications where bending is involved.
Marine-grade plywood is available in 4x8-foot sheets of 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 5/8 and 3/4-inch thickness. Sheets up to 5x12 feet are also available. Available grades are A-A, A-B, B-B (face-back), MDO and HDO.
Marine-grade plywood is not treated with any chemicals to enhance its resistance to decay. If decay is a concern, it should be pressure-preservative treated to an appropriate standard."

[SIZE=-1]Marine grade plywood is built to much higher specifications than exterior grade. The veneers are more carefully selected for marine grade to minimise interior voids and veneer repairs during manufacture. Both types are glued with resorcinol adhesive, which gives them the characteristic dark glue line. More care is taken in the assembly and gluing of marine plywood boards. The British Standard Specification for marine plywood is BSS 1088.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]It is normal to see some voids in the inner veneers if you inspect the edges of an exterior grade board. There should be no edge voids visible in a marine grade board.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Marine plywood cannot be made from anything other than resorcinol adhesive because it has the best adhesion properties to wet wood. If your plywood does not have dark resorcinol glue lines then it is not marine grade. However, remember that exterior grade also has the dark glue lines.[/SIZE]

So Based on my Research I would have to say that the Glue used in Exterior Ply, Marine Ply, MDO and HDO is all the Same. Number of Plys, Quality of Wood, Voids are all variables. Oh, and PRICE.

Funny thing about all this is that we've been over this a million times in the past. Use marine grade if you want. I used exterior and coated it with two heavy coats of 1 part poly and my decks are holding up fantastic.

In northern californina, there is no such thing as marine grade ply that's put together with resin glue. There is SupePly that's made with it but the marine grade at my suppliers is all done with an exterior semi submersable glue similar to Tite Bond III. Not water proof but highly water resistant.

wildman_wilds

Seaman Apprentice

Forget the MDO and HDO,,, unless you want particle board in your boat :eek:

This is NOT a true statement. This American Plywood Association publication will give you the true specs of these Two truly fine wood products that are Excellent choices for Transoms ,Stringers and Decking.

http://www.pacificwoodlaminates.com/img/PDFs/PlywoodGuide.pdf

I WILL AGREE TO THAT. HDO IS USED IN MANY EXTERIOR APPLICATIONS AND I HAVE HEARD SOME GOOD THINGS ABOUT IT. I'M GOING TO USE THIS STUFF FOR MY BOAT DECKING. IF IT FAILS I WILL REDO IT AGAIN. I MADE IT SIMPLE TO TAKE OUT MY BOAT DECK TO REPLACE THE CARPET IN A SNAP.

wildman_wilds

Seaman Apprentice

"

Marine-grade plywood is a specially designed panel made entirely of Douglas-fir or Western Larch. The grade of all plies of veneer is B or better, which means it may have knots, but no knotholes. The panels are sanded on both faces, and are also available with Medium Density Overlay (MDO) or High Density Overlay (HDO) faces. The maximum core-gap size permitted is 1/8 inch. Its exposure durability rating is EXTERIOR and the glue used is a fully waterproof structural adhesive. It is considered a “premium” panel grade for use in situations where these characteristics are required, i.e., for boat hulls and other marine applications where bending is involved.

So if I told ya to jump off the bridge would ya do it. Use what ever suites your budget. If you keep it for a long time then you wont mind working on your boat again. Just think you'll be a pro at installing carpet and carpet is cheap as hell. Use regular exterior plywood. 40.00 at menards. Epoxy the hell out of it. It will be fine. If ya have enough braces on the deck frame your good. I came up with a snap lock design in the backside of the plywood deck so I can easily take out my carpet if I need to replace the wood in 5 years. I guess I enjoy refurbishing. Heck I'm thinking about using 1/8 aluminum diamond plate for my decking with a lot of bracing and the heck with wood. Aluminum all around.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Well worth the hassle of wood. And a carpet floor mat to be placed down if need be. When wet hang it on the clothes line.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

No need to re-open and hijack a 2 year old thread. Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.