Should outboard be up or down

bkreder001

Cadet
I just bought a new boat with power tilt/trim. I have a quick question. when the boat is not in use is it better to leave the motor down or up. Does leaving it up put unecessary stress on the tilt/trim? Thanks

Bamboo

Seaman
Re: Should outboard be up or down

I don't think that for modern injected outboards it really matters to the engine. Maybe if it's carburated there might be some concerns.
I leave my Yammi F150 down when not in use mainly so the trim actuators are fully retracted and not exposed to the elements

DRIFTER_016

Petty Officer 1st Class

I leave mine down also because the boat won't fit in it's shelter with it up. :)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you are suppose to store them down so the water will drain out of them. especially in the winter.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I don't think it matters to the tilt cylinder - it should be pretty relaxed in any position. But on the trailer, it should be supported. You aren't relying on your power tilt to hold the engine up while trailering, are you?

And properly working carburetors shouldn't care either.

But don't let rainwater collect in the exhaust outlet around the prop hub during the winter.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I would bet that there is something in the outboard owners manual that addresses your question. Have you looked?

Haywood123

Seaman

How big of a motor are you talking about? I put mine down and have a transom saver hooked to the trailer to take some of the stress off of the transom. It holds it up a little, so you have a few more inches of clearance verses just letting it hang.

bkreder001

Cadet

Sorry about that. when I said new I meant new to me. The boat is actually a 1986 Procraft 1510 with a 70 HP Johnson and of course the previous owner did not have any manuals for it. I have attched a pic of the boat if you want to take a look

Attachments

• kodak test pictures 032.JPG
    kodak test pictures 032.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 0

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Every boat with an outboard in our marina is cranked up, and every outboard in the community on a trailer is cranked down. That should answer yer question.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

nice lookin boat.

You didn't say...I hope you are tilting it up and supporting it with a transom saver for trailering - not much ground clearance there.

"transom saver" is subject to debate on whether it actually "saves the transom", but I think (most) everyone agrees, you need something to support the tilt mechanism.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I am in salt or brackish water. I always flush the engine when I get home. I just leave it down when I am done.

ArkBoater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry about that. when I said new I meant new to me. The boat is actually a 1986 Procraft 1510 with a 70 HP Johnson and of course the previous owner did not have any manuals for it. I have attched a pic of the boat if you want to take a look

hey! Nice trailer!! I have the identical trailer for my boat.:D

IMG_0189.jpg

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

ArkBoater

What a great looking boat. I always have enjoyed that style of boat. With the way I use a boat, I can't get one that pretty.

ArkBoater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Dave! We are loving it! It's an 88 cheetah 1650ls with a 3.0l mercruiser and it's still going strong.....hopefully for a while to come! :D