Fixing Nicks In Aluminum Hull

Colorado4Wheeler

Seaman Apprentice
I have an old aluminum runabout V hull where the protruding V "edge" has some nicks in it from, presumably, the previous owner(s) running it up on shore. I'm not sure how to better describe it and don't have it nearby to take pictures, but along the V there is a raised edge with some pieces missing or crushed and I'm wondering the best way to protect that in the future. I'm guessing the only way to repair it is to take it to an aluminum shop to TIG spot weld those spots to build them back up again and then grind them down to be even, but I'm not sure if there's a good way to protect it once that is done (or if you have a better suggestion for fixing them). I don't intend to run it so hard onto shore to cause this again, but will probably take it to shore now and then and want to protect it once I go to whatever trouble and/or expense to repair it.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

BWR1953

Admiral
So you used JB to fix the problem, did you do anything to protect it from further damage?
Oh, I don't drive it up on a beach or ramp anymore. Unlike some unknown previous owner(s). Strictly dockside for me. :cool:

I know that there are devices/tapes/protectors available, but I don't use them.

Colorado4Wheeler

Seaman Apprentice
get a keel guard if you intend to beach it
When looking at the 3M Keel Guard there's a lot of mentions by users that it's not a good adhesion to aluminum and that a painted or fiberglass surface was the best bet. Have you tried it on aluminum? If so, is it problematic?

My keel isn't smooth, it has a "lip" or "edge" that is raised about 1/4", so I don't know if standard keel guards will really stick long to a surface like that.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you have to clean the aluminum just like you have to clean the fiberglass to allow the 3M VHB tape to stick. With 40 grit sand paper

not all aluminum boats have a keel strip. for boats with a keel strip, some keel guards would go around it. Some do not (gator shield for example)