Fish Well Pump

Hooked on Deanna

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Does anyone's fish well pump seem to pulse water out instead of a constant stream. It sounds like my pump loses its prime throughout the pumping process, but it does empty the wells. I can easily blow back through the well hoses and I keep the strainer clean. I'm thinking about rebuilding the pump housing because the motor runs good.

Hooked on Deanna

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Fish Well Pump

Think I just answered my own question! Just checked the wells and one was full the other had just enough water to cover the drain (boat is not level on the trailer). I have a plug in the well with little water. When I turned on the pump I got a constant stream of water and no sounds suggesting a poor prime. What changed; I believe the well plug is not sealing and before I was pulling air through the system because it was completely dry. I also think the strainer wasn't installed properly and was also allowing air into the system. Or could be an intermittent problem from a failing pump?????

By the way, I have the classic well filling problem. I've determined the cause to be a clogged drain. The drain in the door recess gets clogged by tree debris (under a tree in my driveway) which allows water to spill into the fish well. This should not be an issue when I'm in my slip. This also leads to a bigger problem I discovered! Make sure you clean the bailing ports. My ports were backing up because they were clogged with lots of junk. Should you need the self bailing feature (big wave over the bow) it would be horrible to find your ports clogged!