First Boat Project 1960s cruiser 14'

imatt86

Seaman Apprentice
Re: First Boat Project 1960s cruiser 14'

Wow thats an awesome break down.
You really think 10 gallons of resin???
And half that for hardener? Im in Texas and its hot now does that effect how much hardener to use?

Thanks again!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

The hardener will come with the resin in the appropriate proportion it will NOT be 1/2! Usually about 12 drops per oz of resin.
Yep, 10 gals. You first have to precoat All of the wood and let it dry. You then coat it again and apply the 1.5oz mat and then saturate it with resin and let it dry. Then you coat IT again and apply the cloth and saturate it again and let it dry. You will also need resin to mix up Peanut Butter using the cabosil and and chopped strands. I might be off a little. You might have to order more resin. When it's hot you mix smaller amounts and work Faster!!! or use smaller amounts of catalyst but not too much or you'll weaken the mix and ruin the strength. Go to www.uscomposites.com and check out their products. You'll learn alot

Here's some more info:
There are about 150 ounces per gallon by weight
1.5 ounce cloth ( cloth not chopped mat)?.1 gallon wets out 40 square yards
2.5 ounce cloth?.1 gallon wets out 25 square yards
4 ounce cloth??1 gallon wets out 15 square yards
6 ounce cloth??1 gallon wets out 10 square yards
10 ounce cloth?..1 gallon wets out 6.5 square yards
18 ounce woven roving ?1 gallon wets out 4.5 square yards
24 ounce woven roving ?1 gallon wets out 3.5 square yards.
Biaxial mat 1708.????.. 1 gallon wets out 4 square yards
Please remember several things:
- these are estimates not hard and fast rules.
- if you are laminating over wood, the raw wood will soak up some resin, which is good, but you will use more resin on the first layer.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I used over three gallons of epoxy just to put two coats of it on my deck and transom (no glass). I don't find it hard to believe at all that you'd go through 10 gallons of resin properly glassing deck/transom/stringers.

imatt86

Seaman Apprentice

Oh for some reason I confused cabosil with hardener lol. Okay guys you are the experts, my wallets not gonna like it though! haha

imatt86

Seaman Apprentice

Hey guess, Im a little baffled over what to do with this section. I believe it is the bilge area, if so I imagine I should leave it there to drain any water that might come in, there is a drain hole so would I use the boat with a plug in it? First time boater and I know this is probably really dumb hahah.

Screenshot2011-05-25at124014PM.png

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Actually, In my opinion there should be three holes. One in the transom to let the water out of the Bilge and Two in the Bilge to let the water INTO the bilge from under the deck IF any water should ever get under the deck and between the stringers. We can talk about that when the time comes.

imatt86

Seaman Apprentice

Should that be addressed prior to installing the transom, might be easier if I need to cut that out.
Also are you sure I should use PL not Titebond III? I saw in an earlier post by you to use that over PL unless something has changed.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

The PL is to BED the Stringers NOT for the Transom. You can use the Titebond III to Glue the Two pieces of Ply together for the transom Or you can use Resin and 1.5oz mat. up to you. If it were My boat I would remove the existing bilge and build a new one. You can do it the way you want. That's just me.

imatt86

Seaman Apprentice

Ah makes perfect sense! Thanks, im getting quotes now on fiberglass materials.

imatt86

Seaman Apprentice

No work has been done to the boat yet BUT a huge improvement on the trailer! My dad's shop sandblasted and painted the trailer for me, what a saving. He just sent me some photos. Check out the before and after:

Before:
da2dfd1d.jpg

057861f7.jpg

6af98d66.jpg

After:
3063176d.jpg

d17aef2b.jpg

301dd7ce.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Well, with Dad's Day comin up, I'd say he Rates an Extra Special Gift This Year!!!!!

imatt86

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah no kiddin, that saved me quite a bit. I got quotes around here for sandblasting and that alone people wanted $400!

imatt86

Seaman Apprentice

Got some more work done. Cut out the transom couple days ago. Then yesterday I sealed them together with Titebond III and its curing as we speak. I also got most of the floor cut out. Originally it was 1/2" ply but I wanted it more sturdy so went with 3/4" ply. This seemed to work just fine for the main portion of the deck but the other more complicated pieces up front I will have to use 1/2" to get it to conform right. There is an angle cut and then another flat triangle up top in the front. My next step is purchasing fiberglassing materials which I finally found a place here in Austin that sells bulk.

963271b9.jpg

84fbded1.jpg

a08ae933.jpg

kjon

Recruit

I see you had been working on this project boat, which I believe to be a PIPESTONE. I also have 2 Pipestones (1958 & 1965 ) and in the process of restoring them. I will be posting pics soon of my collection.
The model you may have was called an ARROW known for the pattern on the front bow.
What I am interested in is, do you have any pictures of the Decals you had on your boat mine are faded and missing parts, what I am doing is trying to reproduce these if I can get a clear picture. I'm working on a book and have done extensive research on these boats. I am working with museum in Minnesota to obtain info and history on the Pipestone Boat Sales Co. also known as the Pipestone Manufacturing Company. Also looking for Pictures and any other pamplets or collectables.
I would appreciate any thing you have Thank you

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

kjon, the OP has not posted to this thread for over 8 months. I seriously doubt you will get a response. JFYI Forum rules discourage responding to threads that the OP has not responded to for more than 3 months.