First Boat Project 1960s cruiser 14'

imatt86

Seaman Apprentice
Re: First Boat Project 1960s cruiser 14'

Alright guys, just got back from fishing trip and its back to the boat. Got those back metal pieces off and the entire rub rail is off. There was a small crack in the seam of the cap and the hull so I was able to start prying with a flathead but that wasn't going far. Had a coupon which made a reciprocating saw at Harbor Freight $20. That seems to be working, think I need a better blade than what they packaged cause the cutting slowed down considerably after the a 4th of the cutting was done.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Fiberglass will dull the heck out a of blade so get a handful of 'em.

imatt86

Seaman Apprentice

Wow no kiddin! Had to go back and buy 5 pack and those are all spent now. I got everything done except where it meets the transom. I have it cut there but it wont budge. Any one have any ideas? I guess I need to take some pics. I can lift the whole front cap up all the way to the back but it wont break free and I don't want to break anything.

emoney

Commander

Definitely pics as I'm sure there's somebody around here who's encountered your exact problem. When it comes to fiberglass, I think of it as steel when it comes to blades/grinding/etc. Looks a lot softer though, doesn't it?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You may have to take a piece of flat steel and sharpen one end like a chisel and chisel it free. Sounds like the MFG used resin to attach the splashwell to the transom. Get in the boat and check under the splashwell from the inside and see what you can see how the attachment is made.

imatt86

Seaman Apprentice

Hey guys, here is an update of what I did yesterday.
Got the cap cut all the way around but as I stated earlier the back wouldnt budge and I think Wood is right. I think the splashwell is resined to the transom so this evening I will craw under and try to chisel upwards. Sounds like fun :)

d0bc1bb1.jpg

cf6d629d.jpg

0dd9e022.jpg

9fea0121.jpg

imatt86

Seaman Apprentice

Does anyone know what model this is? All it says on the side is Pipestone Fiberglass. Cant find much about them.

imatt86

Seaman Apprentice

HUGE ACCOMPLISHMENT!!!! Got that stupid cap off FINALLY!
Took me all night after work but its off. It turns out the bottom was tabbed in with glass. I broke 3 screwdriver chiseling under neath and had to use my carjack from the inside and slowly lift underneath section at a time until a loud POP! and it was free. Now I can see how rotten some of the transom is. Should I know just chisel away at the wood?

c8b3e42f.jpg

2849312d.jpg

869cc217.jpg

0d0dc1bf.jpg

a71e7863.jpg

52f6e458.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'd get a circular saw, set the depth of the blade just shy of the depth of the transom and start cutting a BUNCH of relief cuts all over the transom wood at all different angles. Makes it real easy to Chisel it off. A Real STIFF WIDESCRAPER knife will get most of it after that then a 4 1/2 inch grinder with a back up pad and 36 Grit Sanding Disc and you'll be done in no time. You can get ALL of this stuff @ Harbor Freight for Less than $50 bucks. DON'T FORGET THE SAFETY GEAR.;)

image_7056.jpg
image_9339.jpg
image_7180.jpg
image_5720.jpg

Icyharp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Does anyone know what model this is? All it says on the side is Pipestone Fiberglass. Cant find much about them.

I am still waiting for pops to have a chance to look it up, it is boating season in MN you know...lol and he is swamped. However I do know that Bayliner bought the manufacturing building where that boat was made.

As soon as he gets back to me I will pass it on to you even if he does not know, but he does remember them. But living 150 miles away from him does not help matters getting to hang and have beer and talk smart.....:cool:

imatt86

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Wood, thanks for the advice. I actually just bought the 4.5" grinder from HF with 36 grit discs but im assuming i need the backup pad to attach the discs? I havent even opened it yet and played with it.

Ichyarp, I would greatly appreciate it.

imatt86

Seaman Apprentice

This weekend was my bday so didnt have much time to work on the boat till today. I got the transom and rotted floors removed. Took Woods advice and used a circular saw, chisels, and a lot of hammer wacking. Check out the progress.

f3423649.jpg

80ed4404.jpg

6511fc8d.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

WOW!!!! Now that's what I call PROGRESS!!!! Nice WORK iMATT!!!!!

imatt86

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Wood, believe me wearing a respirator in Texas right now is not fun haha. The stringers look good except the middle. I did the drill test and sides were good but you can clearly see rotted wood on the front of the middle. I guess next would be to replace transom before anything else?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yep, get some cardboard and a school compass and make a template. Transfer it to the plywood and cut it out and glue it up. Again, NICE WORK!!!

imatt86

Seaman Apprentice

What do I use the compass for?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Cut the cardboard as close as you can to the shape of the side wall of the transom and Place the cardboard against the outside skin of the transom. Open the compass about 3/4", hold the steel point against the side of the hull and let the pencil draw a line on the cardboard. It will draw the exact outline of the side of the hull for you. You can cut that out and transfer it to the plywood. Works GREAT!!!

imatt86

Seaman Apprentice

It's about time to shop for fiberglass materials. Can you guys tell me what I should buy for this small boat? Again its 14', I will be replacing the transom, deck and center stringer. Hull is in great shape so no repairs there. How much cloth, mat, what thickness, what resin and hardener. I plan on bugging fiberglass shops around here to sell me supplies.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

My Guess-Ti-Mate would be...

1 sheet of 3/4 CDX Ext. Grade Ply for Transom
1 sheet of 3/4 CDX Ext. Grade Ply for Stringer
2 Sheets of 5/8 CDX Ext. Grade Ply for Deck
15 yds of 1.5oz CSM mat
10 yds of 1708 Biax Cloth OR 18oz Woven Roving
10 Gals of Poly Resin
5 Gals of Cabosil
2 lbs of 1/4" chopped strand