Finnish fishing boat overhaul [Splashed 2017]

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Oh, and the twist: even though it feels good to get the molds out, that's also the moment you see all the upcoming amounts of wetsanding.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

The beams went surprisingly ok, started working on the cabin steps/stair. Put some serious effort in the fillets: used the heated fillet tool and tried to be as careful as I could. Even set up this table to be able to work standing up for once.

Tried color correcting the horrible orange tint from the photos and ended up with black and white :)

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Ha i thought you were trying to be cool with the retro look in black and white, especially with that bike in the background .....

Last edited:

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
I usually fail at being cool, so I try to avoid it as best I can :) The bike is the local fiberglass repairmans vehicle, the 5000sqm warehouse kind of requires one.

Now the results from the molds are improving. Too bad I only have one more thing to do with one :/ The step needs a bit of clean up still but nothing much.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Of course it's a retro look. Old boat = retro. LOL

From way over here the molded parts look great, Red. No sanding needed! :rolleyes:

I like the way the console fits and looks.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
The photos are forgiving, but this one will need a minimum amount of wetsanding luckily. Maybe 300-600-1200 or something, and it's just the fillets. So no big deal, just wish I'd started doing this right from the beginning. The next one will be better( Disclaimer: there will -never- be a next one).

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

Happy solstice and midsummer everyone! I'll take a couple of days off and I'll be back getting rid of that to-do list in the photo. Just 18 points of fiberglass work left. Can't wait for monday, hah.

Made some more stuff with molds today, a roof hatch cover for the pilothouse and a sliding drawer.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
The US needs a time like that to appreciate all we have not just those long weekend things....
Enjoy Reds!

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks and ditto! (That video is quite cheesy and a bit too patriotic in my taste, but it explains the phenomena well).

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I'll be using alot of your techniques when i get moving again. keep it coming Reds!

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Haha, oh well yeah true. I'm adding a cowl vent on top of the v-berth which could work for that as well.

Yeah there'll be some hinges, a gas-spring like "holding up" thing and a latch.

The locker is done from the inside. Now I'm planning ahead with the surface work.

My plan is to fair and sand the inner walls of raw fiberglass and then roll gelcoat with foam rollers.

The problem is that the builder added some surface wax to the last layer on the cabin part. This far I've sanded and washed with acetone all the areas where new fiberglass meets old.

But with the walls I'm hesitant to do this. It feels counterproductive sanding them even thinner, and I'd like to try a no sanding approach.

So I'd basically need to scrub all the wax off somehow, my thought was to use car degrease/dewaxers and scotchbrite pads, then finish off with water and dishwashing liquid.

Do you think this would give a good enough surface for polyester putty and gelcoat on walls?

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Or well, I will sand the walls a bit, but I'd like to avoid going a 100% matte finish since it'll dig deep enough to warrant more glass, and that's something I won't be doing.