Finnish fishing boat overhaul [Splashed 2017]

lilyperch

Cadet
Red, great job. Excellent craftsmanship. I am new and learning alot from your pics. You, mentioned a year ago about a new resin you switched to and how much easier is was to work with. What resin is it?.
Thanks.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Glad to hear it and thanks!

I've used three different resins this far: Crystic 7595 waxless slow cure laminating resin, Aropol G 105TM with small amounts of wax for lower styrene emissions and Aropol G102TB is the new one I mentioned. It wets well and gives a working time of around 40-50 min.

I prefer the first one by far, but the 102 is a step up from the 105.

I'd recommend the Crystic!

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Oh and Lilyperch, it's definitely doable to work with female molds in a on-off production, but the end result will almost inevitably need some sanding and polishing. So it's basically the same amount of work either way it seems, but I'm no expert :) (in reference to the question in your thread).

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Thinking about bilge pumps in case of an emergency: The pumps I have are theoretically able to pump 1700 gallons per hour, with an added 22gp/min from the manual hand pump.

1. Whale gulper 320 as main bilge pump (+300gph)
2. Whale gulper 220 as shower/sink sump pump (300gph)
3. Whale supersub smart as the "ohsh*t"-pump (1100gph)
4. Manual Jabsco amazon pump 22gpm

You guys think this is enough? The first one is supposed to be the workhorse handling all the usual stuff (hopefully not much): to be followed by the automatic alarm rigged ohsh*tpump if water level rises. If it still keeps rising the shower sump joins the fun, but probably doesn't make any difference at that point.

Reasonable?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
More the merrier. Mine is 800 gph i think. It shoots the water about 5 feet out. Also rig a manual switch as floats can get finnicky below deck.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Yeah I can imagine, the main pump and the shower sump are on electric switches without moving parts, the supersub has a sensor of it's own. But I'll add a manual override on all of them for sure. West marine had some comparison chart for bilge pump flow rates, I'm on the upper end of 30ft boats so I'll call it done for now.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Still a bit of glassing left, but I'm getting closer and closer to the sanding and fairing part. Now I'm working on the v-berth structure and the mold for the steering consoles backside.

After that I'll glass a couple of structural beams for the berth and galley cabinet. Then the anchor locker and finishing the engine vents. Then thruhulls/ducts for cables and hoses and I'm working on surface finishes!!!

Ordered a bunch of teak plywood and teak slats for the floors today. Expensive but it still feels good to be at this point of the build!

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I think you deserve a

26c73e79919f9494a848f0c6a545748c.jpg

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

Still at it. Tried to save a seagull from the rafters and got this photo while I had the chance. Not that often you see boats from this angle.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
That is a great view. Sort of makes it look like a model boat, yet gives great perspective of the project.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
No safety harness I'm afraid, but the walkway has high railings. I wouldn't go near it unless it was safe, not a fan of heights.

It's true, it looks like a toy from up there. Inside it feels like a million problems, but from a small distance it already looks like a boat :)

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
I just realized the first post in this thread was written almost four years ago. That's one drum of resin ago, and a lot of sweat shed.

There's one problem with Iboats from where I stand even though I've thoroughly enjoyed my time here: the American boat names don't say much for me. I know the usual Bayliners, Boston whalers etc, but otherwise I'm a bit out there. This means I'm not that active posting in all the other threads, this boat seems a lot different than the usual sport/fishing/recreation boats mostly worked on here.

Could you guys recommend some threads with anything similar going on? Pilothouse etc?

I've been stepping on the dark side with The hull truth and the Trawler forum since a lot of the stuff sort of match better. Mostly reading and lurking, then I post the results here. Hope no one minds, even though this one might not fit the bill.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Hey Reds...always go where no other man has gone before. Surf the net and read everything. Yup your boat is alot different and most of all interesting. No one should mind at all. Downeast boat forums have a lot of info for "working" boats, check it out.
Most of all...Keep making your posts because we all appreciate the quality of your work and techniques. it's all a learning experience for everyone.
KC

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for the tip! The sizes/styles of boats seem just right. More to read and study!

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

Progress with a twist. The steering console was done in two parts, the first part was the facade I posted earlier, it's bonded to the roof far beyond the second part I did now. Ought to be sturdy, but the cramped space was horrible to work in. Glad that's over. Tomorrow some structural beams again, will be interesting to see how I'll ruin them this time!