Finally had enough with gas prices, and my butt is sore...

JasonJ

Rear Admiral
So I was filling my highly fuel efficient 95 Ford F150 4x4 ex cab with 5.8 and after dropping 40-something bones and glaring at the $3.09 reg (it's now $3.16) a gallon price (the highest it has ever been here), I did some quick math. Even with my frugal and limited driving, I figured my weekly fuel expense to be around $50. Some may be spending more, and I feel for them, but right now it's about me.

Sooo, I started riding my bicycle to work. I have a Cannondale full suspension and I put skinnier street tires on it, and rode it to work this morning. It was 35 degrees, and it took about 25 minutes, not bad for as out of shape as I am. When it came time to come home, it was raining, cold, and blowing wind. It was a little slower going, and while I got a little wet, it was not unbearable. When I get back to my riding shape (I used to ride 30-50 miles a day and 100 miles each Saturday back in the day), I should be able to pare my commute time down to 15-20 minutes, which is what my drive time is in the summer (traffic is horrible, a bike just cruises right through).

The butt is sore, and it will be for a few days, but even if I cut my drive down to one or two days a week (I have to drive on Wednesdays to drop uniforms off unless I figure out a solution to that). I am seeing more bicycles on the road, and I hope it continues. If the industry is going to just raise prices and not even give us a good excuse anymore, then they will get less of my money.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander
Re: Finally had enough with gas prices, and my butt is sore...

There is always a good excuse for higher gas prices, the answer is not what many would like to hear. ;)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Great reaction to the high prices and healthy too. Congrats! Smart idea.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

There is always a good excuse for higher gas prices, the answer is not what many would like to hear. ;)

True. The last excuse I heard the other day was "There might be future refinery malfunctions" and the always popular "Might be hurricanes this year". Whatever. If they could give us real, definitive reasons, I wouldn't mind. I understand how it works, with futures and all that, but they are really stretching on the "Maybes", and we just keep buying and buying. That's what we get...

treedancer

Commander

I bought a 1999 Geo Metro that gets about 40 miles to the gallon, I use it for the little running around, but still use the Blazer for the heavy stuff .Cant get the wife into the Geo though.:rolleyes:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I am now working at home one day a week and commuting with two other friends the other 4. I now only drive on day a week with sometimes 2 as we rotate who is driving. I am now way less tired when I get home and use the car pool ;ane so it is quicker now.

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

"Cant get the wife into the Geo though"

-sounds like SHE needs to start riding the bike.:D :D :D <--look, I add smileys, tell her not to hit me.

spots

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

I had been riding the bike to the shop a bit, but quit because occasionally i'd have to deliver something or make a quick trip to the store, ect.. May start riding again tho...

RCSConstruction

Chief Petty Officer

3.56 for regular unleaded here. Cost me 120 bones to fill her up and only get 340 miles to the tank.
I would like to know why diesel is still so expensive. It doesn't cost near as much to refine. That's the biggest scam going IMHO.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Welcome to the bikers club.
You will love when you see your appetite go up and your body weight go down.

Why is fuel going up yet again? Because they can and the political establishment is at least partly owned by big oil.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Supply and Demand!!!!

Stop using as much and the price will go down...plain and simple.

The price is high througout the world. Please expalin how the "political establishment who is partly owned by big oil", as you put it, is able to control world prices.

puddle jumper

Captain

Ya its a buck and a quarter here. I just ****e my self when the price went up the other day.A jump of about 10cents over night.

Pony

Rear Admiral

3.29 here....

Last Fall I bought a scooter to commute to and from work. Its not only a blast to ride, but it gets 85-90 miles to a gallon too!

aspeck

Staff member

I love the IDEA of walking or riding bike to work, but gotta take the Yukon or Kawie - you just never know when the fire pager goes off, and I would never make the rig without motorized wheels... Guess that is the downside to helping people.

i386

Captain

Yea, right now it's costing me about $47 a week to fill up my Explorer. I'm still researching trucks since I'm planning on getting a new one this summer. I've been looking at full sized trucks this week thinking I might like to have something with a little more room inside (I'm 6'1" / 205lbs.). I was talking to someone today that was saying gas would be $4/gal this summer. That really makes getting that full sized truck a seem like a bad idea now. Oh well, I need a truck, but I don't need a full sized one. Sure do want one though.

tommays

Admiral

P4041709.JPG

The people that can afford GAs keep hitting me when i ride my bicycle :mad:

2 times in 9 months once :eek:

The only down side is with the 30 mile round trip i eat more in food than the gas costs :confused:

Tommays

rwise

Captain

why do gas prices keep going up?
1. because they can and we WILL pay it and they know it.
2. china, they are using more and buying up oil fields.
3. Hey they just want to go on a trip this year and have to make some money :rolleyes:

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

P4041709.JPG

The people that can afford GAs keep hitting me when i ride my bicycle :mad:

2 times in 9 months once :eek:

The only down side is with the 30 mile round trip i eat more in food than the gas costs :confused:

Tommays

Thankfully most of my commute is on a designated bike path, and I can go through the neighborhoods to get to the workplace, but I still need to be on my toes, there are some really bad drivers here. A lot of motorcycles get whacked, and that has caused me to not want to get a motorcycle. That, and the used bikes are way too expensive now because people have realized they can get more because of demand.

My commute is about 13 miles round trip, so it isn't long enough to affect my food intake, but even if it does, I would rather spend money to better my health than to promote my gut growth by sitting my rig driving to work.

And my 'taint is really sore right now... :)

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Why is fuel going up yet again? Because they can and the political establishment is at least partly owned by big oil.

That's right rolmops, and if the Clintons were still in office, the Arabs and Hugo Chaves would just love us to death and the price of oil would be back down to $35 bbl, right?:rolleyes:

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/future_of_fuel_prices.htm

No matter how you look at it when oil company's post 20-30 billion dollar's a quarter it is gouging, and this administration is doing jack ####e about it, along with the democratic congress. I am afraid it will only end when one of our big auto maker's go in the tub.........and that will wake up a lot of issue's.

Something to look at is the restriction placed on new refinery’s , that prohibit's any new business venuture's from entering the market place. There is plenty of profit to be made,actually does anyone know of a ind that make's 20 billion in a quarter???? It's called the big M word MONOPLY and not a damm thing is being done about it. The restriction of competition is why we have this issue, hiding under the vail of the Environmentalist

Enviromental concern's my arse... :nono:........................If legislation was introduced to allow expansion of refining the oil company's would be crying so loud the whole world would here...