Fiberglass Runabout Restoration

TregoMark

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My wife and I bought this boat a year ago as a project. We had planned on just doing the minimal work needed to get it on the water, but of course that didn't work out as planned. This was our first boat/engine restoration, and almost everything I learned along the way came from the iboats forum. I only posted a few questions, and the rest of the info needed came through the search function.

This project turned out to be a hull up restoration which included the trailer and engine. I didn't everything entirely "right" I guess, but I tried to replicate the original construction as much as possible. If I ever do another restoration, I'll probably do a few things differently, but it is what it is and this should be a fun little boat to cruise around in this summer.

Oh, the transom was replaced at one point by another owner and the HIN wasn't replaced. The CA DMV gave it a generic registration and hull number at some point and the name "Lawson". I still don't know who made this boat. All I know is it is 13 1/2 feet long, maybe a 1961 and the steering wheel is on the left hand side.

This is what the boat looked like when we got it home:
DSC02652sm.jpg

DSC02655sm.jpg

DSC03820sm.jpg

DSC03821sm.jpg

We began the task of stripping it and removing all of the hardware and fittings:
DSC03827sm.jpg

TregoMark

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: For Moderator Approval: Fiberglass Runabout Restoration

I made the decision to not separate the top from the bottom of the hull. I thought it would simplify the restoration process, but looking back I should have cut the top off. I didn't though, so I made some gimbal mounts on saw horses to support the boat. I patched all of the nicks, holes and scrapes using Marine Tex and sanded the hull:
DSC04041sm-1.jpg

DSC04228sm.jpg

Top Secret Supermarine primer was applied using a gravity feed sprayer:
DSC04633sm.jpg
DSC04640sm.jpg

TregoMark

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Top Secret gloss white bottom paint applied in my spray booth:
DSC04646sm.jpg

DSC04656sm.jpg

Masking and the Top Secret North Sea Blue top paint was sprayed on. Painting took about a month to allow drying between coats:
DSC04693sm.jpg

DSC04706sm.jpg

DSC04717sm.jpg

TregoMark

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The stringers were sized to the original, epoxied, glued and fiberglassed into place:

DSC05145sm.jpg

DSC05149sm.jpg

Floatation was cut and added. After reading many many topics on floatation, I settled on foam core insulation:
DSC05162sm.jpg

The wood support for the dash was replaced. I simply traced the original and cut a new one. It was then epoxied and fiberglassed back into place just like the original:
DSC05215sm.jpg

Marine plywood was then cut and fitted to the hull in three pieces. I epoxied the underside and fiberglassed the top. I used fiberglass tape around the edges and seams and then laid mat for the rest:
DSC05213sm.jpg

DSC05221sm.jpg

TregoMark

Petty Officer 3rd Class

At this point the hard stuff was done.  The rest was interior work which I did over the winter. I added marine carpet and a steering wheel. The steering system was upgraded at some point from the old pulley type. I found an old looking steering wheel at a salvage place that fit the new style. It was blasted and painted:
DSC05815.jpg

The windshield was polished using a three stage plastic polish and a buffing wheel mounted to a drill. I added new gasket from Taylor Made and hidden post mounts also from Taylor Made. The chrome trim is that automotive stuff they use for doors:
DSC05826.jpg

The original cleats and other chrome fittings were polished and replaced. The screws and bolts throughout the boat were replaced with stainless along the way. The rub rail was made for a Boston Whaler. It was affixed with marine adhesive:
DSC05820.jpg

The seats were found used, but never used. I had to cut four inches off of the bottom to make them sit low enough in the boat. The interior panels were cut from plywood and epoxied. Foam cushion was added and marine vinyl was placed over it:
DSC05832.jpg

The controls, junction box, starter/choke dash panel and engine were an interesting find. All of these components from the original boat proved to be in very poor shape, but I was determined to make them work with the exception of the 1960 40hp Evinrude (the cowling was incorrect ? 1959). This old engine was abused and beyond repair. My wife found an add on craigslist simply listing an outboard for sale, but the picture attached caught her attention. It looked just like our outboard. She contacted the seller and they settled on a price of $30 for the outboard and anything else attached to the boat. Turned out the engine (1959 35hp Evinrude) was in great shape and the controls/cables, junction box and starter/choke panel were in great shape too. I ended up using all of the new components for the restoration.

I cleaned up the control box, repainted it and added a new custom made sticker:
DSC04631sm.jpg

TregoMark

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I replaced almost everything on the outboard that needed replacing and repainted it:
DSC051392sm.jpg

The trailer was also restored. It is an old Sea King I posted that restoration here:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=431965&highlight=sea+king

It was quite a project and I?m happy with the results. Because the manufacturer is unknown, it isn?t a collectible boat in that sense. It?s just a fun little runabout.

Here?s a few more pics:
DSC05818sm.jpg

DSC05836.jpg

Some pictures of it on the water for it?s first test run:
smDSC05904.jpg

smDSC05909.jpg

smDSC05892.jpg

Jagid

Cadet

Awesome job!

where did you get the plans for the gimbal mounts and sawhorses?

TregoMark

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks. :) I actually didn't use any plans. I got the idea from somewhere and just made them (gimbals) out of 2x4 and some long bolts. They worked well enough and gave me the ability to move the boat around while I painted.

bshattuck87

Cadet

That is a wonderful project! I would love to own a boat similar to that!

Brenton

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Terrific job, Mark. I have to run now, but I will be back to go over the text. The pix are fabulous. :)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Beautiful work. I did some work on the thread and copied it here.... http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=469777 Pending approval. I added your trailer to the thread ;)

It is "stored"there just temporary and locked :)

Luhrs28

Chief Petty Officer

Very close to the best work I've ever seen on this forum. Just awesome. Makes me want to do a better job on my boat.

Bravo!

ljc1957

Petty Officer 2nd Class

TM, well done! That is one sweet looking boat.

fstorm08

Senior Chief Petty Officer

looks fantastic! GREAT JOB!

TregoMark

Petty Officer 3rd Class

here's a quick video of the maiden voyage.

justchecking

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Beautiful! Great pictures and history!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You didn't mention anything about the transom, and I noticed it appears to have a Metal plate on the outside. I'm curious... Did you install this plate and if so, wht is it purpose? Did it come with the Motor as its installation plate? Plates like this sometimes indicated a weak transom that needed to be repaired. Did you take core samples of the wood in the transom to ensure that it was structurally sound? If not, the stresses placed on it by the Outboard motor could put your boat and passengers at risk. You did a FANTASTIC job on the rest of the Boat and I would for sure NOT want anything to happen to that beauty because of a bad transom.;)

cyber

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That is obviously a TRUE "Labour of Love"!!!:)

Fantastic job, kudos to both of you!!:cool:

TregoMark

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You didn't mention anything about the transom, and I noticed it appears to have a Metal plate on the outside. I'm curious... Did you install this plate and if so, wht is it purpose? Did it come with the Motor as its installation plate? Plates like this sometimes indicated a weak transom that needed to be repaired. Did you take core samples of the wood in the transom to ensure that it was structurally sound? If not, the stresses placed on it by the Outboard motor could put your boat and passengers at risk. You did a FANTASTIC job on the rest of the Boat and I would for sure NOT want anything to happen to that beauty because of a bad transom.;)

I was concerned about the transom and I checked it over thoroughly. After doing a few core samples, I found it to be solid. On close inspection, it looked like the previous owner replaced the transom sometime recently. They must have thought the steel plate was added insurance I guess.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I was concerned about the transom and I checked it over thoroughly. After doing a few core samples, I found it to be solid. On close inspection, it looked like the previous owner replaced the transom sometime recently. They must have thought the steel plate was added insurance I guess.

GREAT!!!! Enjoy that great old runabout!!!!