Missing Kill Switch cap. No spark.

rhomesteader

Cadet
I have a 1972 9.8 Mercury Ser. 3264813. It won't start. Previous owner said he stopped using it a year or so ago because of a fuel line leak. I fixed the leak. But now I can't find any spark.
(I'll try to attach a pic. of the kill switch. ) The ruber cap is missing -
1. Am I missing more than just a cap?
2. Is the kill switch in this condition keeping the engine from starting?
3. IF the engine will run with the switch in this condition, when I put my thumb on it to kill the engine, will I get shocked?
I've read several posts on Kill Switches but am still confused. Need your help.

Attachments

• Kill Sw 9.8hp.jpg
    Kill Sw 9.8hp.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 0

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: Missing Kill Switch cap. No spark.

Early phase maker ignition. The kill switch is normally grounded and ungrounded to stop the motor. You are missing the spring and cap, eastcoast marine service should be able to hook you up with the new button and spring. As a test, disconnect the kill wire from the switch and ground it to the powerhead. Test for spark, if you have spark then the kill switch is the issue. Check all wiring for breaks, aluminum wiring on those motors tends to corrode.

http://issuu.com/cdielectronics/doc...2969348659003823&zoomYPos=0.29511834319526625

Page 71 is your ignition, follow the test if the ground wire doesn't cure it. If you need more help post back.

Cheers

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: Missing Kill Switch cap. No spark.

I don't think putting your thumb on that part will do anything, it's missing parts. As far as electricity is concerned be careful as this is a high voltage system!!!