Favorite Lures for favorite fish's

NOSLEEP

Commander
Salmon: are hoochies & flashers or hearing cut<br />plugs. Pike are large spinners and top water<br />monster plugs like rappala and the like.<br />For trout on the fly a wooly bugger type streamer.<br />or bead head. I dont do to much dry fly fishing.<br />Walleye I like spinners on bottom bouncers, or <br />jigging I prefer propeller jigs or stand up jigs<br />with short shaft hooks and stinger hooks. :)

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral
Re: Favorite Lures for favorite fish's

for smallmouth a Mepps3 for casting, Rapala B/W<br />floater for trolling. Largemouth I like spinnerbaits<br />and hulapoppers. pretty much agree with your other<br />choices ...soon I hope :rolleyes:

Fishbusters

Ensign

I could not say which lure is best because there is no such thing if there were there would not be thousands of them. I can say when all else fails I go to live bait (varrys by species) and usually am not let down.

NOSLEEP

Commander

If it wasn't for part time fisherman there <br />wouldn't be thousands of them Peterfishbuster.<br />Most lures are made to catch fisherman!

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

My "go-to" lures are a few different color combinations of Rat-L-Traps in both the floating and sinking types in saltwater... Chrome/blue back, chrome/black back, gold/black back, ect... Which ever ones are on sale in the discount bargin bin cause the "toothy critters" tend to destroy them in very short order....<br /><br /> Snook eat em' up.. Also caught Baracuda, Jack crevalle, sea trout, snapper, and who know's what else on them.. I believe any fish would eat the thing given the opprotunity...<br /><br />I also like several different grub bodies on various types of lead heads... Depends on the mood I'm in.. :D

ebbtide176

Commander

yeah i like the lure that is currently favorite of the fish \ fav fish? - whatever ones are biting the lure imma chunking. ;) <br /><br />reeeeeelly fav lure? i guess i enjoy throwing a 1/2oz safety-pin type spinner best. for bucketmouth black bass(freshwater).<br /><br />hard question 'cause i like roostertails/trout and tiny jigs/crappie, and beetlespins/bream alot too. :D

NOSLEEP

Commander

I like the idea of live bait, but no fishing <br />with live minnows in Alberta, Just worms,leaches,<br />maggots and such. You have to drown your minnows<br />if you collect them from ponds and cannels.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have several favorite fish, depending on where i am fishing.<br /><br />Musky: My #1 favorite fresh water fish. My most productive lure is a homemade variation on the Mepps #5 Aglia, but my favorite for excitement is a surface lure, like a Hula Popper or a #18 fire tiger Rapala floater.<br /><br />Dolphin (Mahimahi): my favorite salt water fish. 3/4 oz. Krokodile spoon, Silver.<br /><br />Big slab crappie: Jig and bobber or Bagley Honey Bee.<br /><br />Walleye: Bagley DDKB2 in fire tiger or #9GFR countdown Rapala.<br /><br />Smallies: Same as walleye.<br /><br />I NEED to go fishing. :eek:

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

now this is the kinda debate I like :D <br />hey JB, what's the jig/bobber crappie set-up?<br />curious,<br />M.Y.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Pretty much like bobber fishing with a minnow, MY.<br /><br />Marabou or hair jig instead of a minnow. Set it just above depth fish are. Twitch it now and then unless water action keeps it moving.

FLATHEAD

Commander

I agree with ya on the firetiger JB. I have great luck in the fall with a 4 inch jointed rapala fire tiger for muskie. 2 3/4 jointed fire tiger for bass.I Like the jig and pig (uncle josh #11) for bass also. Ya still cant beat the way bass will hammer a jitterbug at night on a glassy lake.<br />My biggest cats have come on big chunks of chicken livers. :) <br /><br />-----------------<br />Flathead

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Walleye- jig and leech/minnow or a spinner rig with a leech/crawler but, it depends on the water system which is my favorite...#7-#9 countdowns or a...I can't decide. Too many I like.<br />Crappie/Gills- thill stealth slip float over split shot with an orange #4 gamakatsu bait hook tipped with a 1/4 crawler or minnow<br />Trout/Salmonoids(Lake Michigan)- holographic/glow w/green ladder back Pro King(caught a King this year that broke the 30# mark and many more above 25# on this one)or a magnum florescent glow spoon.

mountainboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

kokanee: flashers, fire-tiger needle fish, sockeye slammers<br />rainbows/brown trout: panther martins, mepps, pistol petes, power baits, fireballs, luhr jensen lures<br />walleye and other warm water fish: bottom bouncer rigs, trolling rigs with minnow on hook, slip bobbers, spinners<br />channel cats: minnows, stink bait

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

if'n were talkin live bait, love crayfish (crawdads).<br /> :D :D

Fishbusters

Ensign

No Sleep I am not talking part time fishermen/lure collectors but just taking in bass fishing alone some days call for a dark worm and others a light one and then you factor in spinnerbait days and conditions where topwaters work best or perhaps we need to dig deep with a crankbait. I think you get the point. I could if forced to choose pick one lure that I could be confident that would give me a chance to catch a fish anywhere anytime I could. I don't think it is the best lure for all conditions just the one that has caught the most species in the most varried locations. This "wonder" lure belongs in everyone's tackle box and while it will not catch them all the time it will catch them some of the time. This lure is a floating Rapalla you know the stick like minnow with a black back and silver belly. You may need to varry the size but it alone accounts for everything from panfish to Tarpon in the US and Canada and many exotic fish as well. Once agian I say conditions will call for other lures and they will work better when fished side by side with the Rapalla but it has the best overall track record for catching fish.

crab bait

Captain

dessert island / one lure..<br /><br />rubber/plastic worm... black...

Karl Seibel

Seaman

Hey crab bait what size of plastic/rubber worm do u use...just ordered from pro bass shops...got mostly 8"...one pack of 9"..and my buddie ordered some 12", purple and black of the 12"...think they'd work...i know big fish like big bait...but these are really big...need a couple of hooks in these daddys...

NOSLEEP

Commander

Don't know alot about bass fishing peterfishbuster<br />But I do agree with your statement about different<br />lures and colors for different conditions or even<br />times of day. I also strongly agree about the<br />black and silver rapalla. I mostly just generalize<br />in my statements about type and favorites.I would<br />like to fish with live minnows a little more<br />often than I get too.

Skinnywater

Commander

My two largest bass (9& 13 pounder) were taken with a silver glitter Dalton Special. Most my bass are taken with a blue/black rubber worm or a gitzit.<br />My largest Brown trout (9lbs)was with a gold Blue foxx Vibrax.<br />Salmon are with roe or K15/16 Kwikfish.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

peterfishbuster- I don't know how I overlooked the floating rap. I'd have to agree with that selection with no hesitation. Blu/slvr is the combo that does the most damage around here. I think my entire family would agree on this one too...and that would be a first!