F250 gas vs diesel

capecodder

Cadet
Re: F250 gas vs diesel

dave 11

when I brought my camper home from the dealer I had a chevy silverado 1500. I never , I repeat never want to do that again. nothing against chevy, in fact I heard the cummins with the allison tranny is top notch.

boatflounder

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks again everyone for your input, have been researching a lot and think the v10 gasser is the way to go for me. MY currewnt f150 a 1998 I bought new has less than 55000 miles on it, so I dont put a lot of miles on my truck. Therefore the marginally better mileage in the new diesels would never show any benefit for me.

Also due to my low usage I am not really concerned with neconomy as much as reliability as well as longevity, and thus would rather go with aproven engine as opposed to a new one. Would consider an older diesel except for the fact that I hve had some major health issues last yeatr that are now resolved and a small part of this new truck is a reward to myself and thus want to get all the ameniies I want!

Thanks again fr al thje input.

Senderofan

Seaman

Cummins with the allison?? When did this happen?? If it has...sign me up...I absolutely love my allison with the SunCoast stage 4 upgrade.

I hope you're happy with the fuel mileage of the V10....Don't think it'll be near what the diesel is. Also noticed a lot of myths or old wives tales about the diesel's in general. With the new fuels and additive packages...and with the proper mind set...i.e. let the truck idle/cool a little before shutting off...I don't think you'd experience any more problems than a gasser. You'd just experience better mileage and more torque for towing.

I've had my truck since Dec. 2001...I drive 7-10 miles to work each way. Last summer I had new headgaskets put in.......my truck has several "accessories" that have been added to it, that precipitated the need for headgaskets. I can tell you that there was only an extremely faint hint of carbon on the tops of the pistons...barely came off on to your finger. The cylinder walls still had very visible crosshatching on them. The truck at the time had 75,000 miles on it. Asked the mechanic about the condition of my engine...he stated "It's barely broke in." So, I don't think the short trip....not working it hard holds up....although...my engine gets a workout for other reasons.

The new generation diesel's are amazing!! And they're getting better all the time. Folks just have to do some research...and give-em a chance.

Good Luck....Hope you have many years of happy motoring with what ever truck you pick. I'll be blowin' smoke down the road for years to come!!

Wayne

Ezrider_92356

Chief Petty Officer

last night i towed an 8000lb enclosed trailer (not very aero dinamic) at 70-75mph into 40-50mph dead on headwinds up and down hills for 100 miles and used 11 gallons of desile. in my gas truck i would have had trouble maintaing 60mph in the same conditions and probably would have gotten 5-6mpg. i love my 96 f250 powerstroke typicly i get about 14-15 towing and 18-20 depending on conditions when empty. i live in north dakota so there are some draw backs to using a diesel in the winter time such as taking precauctions to avoid fuel gel up in below 0 weather and sotimes if you have no place to plug in a block heater getting it started in extreem cold can be difficult.

Senderofan

Seaman

Ezrider,

What weight oil are you using during the winter? My manual says 15w-40 year round...but during the winter I run a diesel synthetic 5w-40. The lighter weight oil makes a huge difference. Also, are you using any fuel additives? Diesel additives will lower the cloud point (point at which small particle form...the ones that'll plug your fuel filter.

The combo of lighter weight oil and additives....mine will start every time...sometimes, like this past weekend...-17 F...she's not real happy for the first few seconds...but will smooth right out.

Gotta love these turbo diesels...whether cruising the freeway or towing stuff.

Wayne

Bluedog

Cadet

Diesel by far. My 2006 F250 pulls my 24 footer up and down hills with no problem. I have to agree with others, sitting at a stoplight it sounds so sweet,then pull off and feel your back pressed to the back of your seat. POWER BABY!!!!! The mileage isn't as good as I want,but the power makes up for it.

Ezrider_92356

Chief Petty Officer

iv never not been able to get my truck to start when not plugged in but below +10 degrees it complains, below 0 it really complains, turning the key on and waiting for the glow plugs turning the key off and then back on again and repeating a few time will normally get it started even in the coldest conditions. in the winter months alot of times i like to keep #2 in the rear tank and #1 in the front. when it gets really really cold i add howes anti gell. for oil i run 15-40 rotilla year round. i have thought about using a lighter weight oil in the winter time but i tow lots of long distance trips and don't really want the thinner oil when pulling 8000-12000 lbs for a couple hundred miles at 70-75mph. gotta love the turbo desils though, pulling a heavy trailer listing to the turbo whine as your steepin on the gas passin semi's like they arnt even moving going up hills. as tim taylor would say aarrrh arrrh arrrh

Senderofan

Seaman

Ezrider:

The oil I use for winter is designed for big rigs...it's 5w-40...so it should hold up just fine in your rig. It makes a huge difference in how my truck starts. Just a thought on what might help your cold starting.

Wayne

Ezrider_92356

Chief Petty Officer

what brand oil do you use. im due for an oil change in about 400 miles so i might go with a thinner oil.

D

DJ

what brand oil do you use. im due for an oil change in about 400 miles so i might go with a thinner oil.

"Weight of oil" your choice but 15-40 should be an all weather oil. Just make sure you go to CJ-4 rating. with low suphur diesel.

496 Cubic Inches

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Unless you start driving alot more,or diesel comes way back down in price,you'll probably never recoup the added cost of a diesel.

Why the F250? A F150 with the 5.4 should tow 5500lbs with ease.

My brother-in-law tows my boat with an '06 Chevy 1500. With the 5.3 and 4.10 rear end he pulls my 5000lb boat over the passes here in Washington at 55+ mph. Its got PLENTY of power.

D

DJ

I've towed 8K# with an F-150 (07) and was very comfortable. An F-Super Duty would have raised my comfort level though.

I've towed 14k# with an F-350 and felt fully in command.

Ford trucks tow well. They are beefy and set up for pulling. The engines have flat torque curves for pulling/working. No tire smoking but they pull like nobodys business. The 5R110 transmission (Torqueshift) (standard on Super Duty-N/A on 150) is bulletproof. Better than the Allison.

boatflounder

Seaman Apprentice

496 & Dj

I could probably get by with a newer F150 but this is my first boat and I know that my 98 F150 with the 4.6l scares the **** out of me on the road. would feel better with a larger mass in front of the boat than the 150 offers, while my weight isnt super high when I hook the boat up yhe truck looks like a toy. Also I would like to be able to put my motorcycle in the truck and tow the bike at the same time.

Last but not least I am a BIG guy and want a big truck:) I appreciatew the input from both of yall and everyone else. I have decided to go with the V10.

D

DJ

496 & Dj

I could probably get by with a newer F150 but this is my first boat and I know that my 98 F150 with the 4.6l scares the **** out of me on the road. would feel better with a larger mass in front of the boat than the 150 offers, while my weight isnt super high when I hook the boat up yhe truck looks like a toy. Also I would like to be able to put my motorcycle in the truck and tow the bike at the same time.

Last but not least I am a BIG guy and want a big truck:) I appreciatew the input from both of yall and everyone else. I have decided to go with the V10.

You cannot compare a '98' F-150 with an '04' and up F-150. They are two completely different animals. We have an '00' F-150. in our stable, that has 120K+ miles of shear abuse and it does just fine. It has the 4.6 and we have have abused it, over the years.

As stated, the '04' and up 150 is different, The truck is overbuilt, IMHO. The 5.4L 3-V is a horse. Plus the chassis is strong, way over the top as compared the last generation 150.

The V-10 in a Super Duty is ULTIMATE. Plenty of HP and the Torqueshift trans., behind it. A BULLETPROOF package.

My customers love that package.

Congrat's on a great choice.

boatflounder

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks DJ,
Like I said I could do it in a 150 but am looking for the ultimate!

Senderofan

Seaman

I'm completely satisfied with my Allison....I think these modern automatics have come a long way. The only problems I've heard about/experienced is going into "Limp" mode when adding more torque to the package(5th gear can't hold if you add more than 90 more horses or about 150 ft/lbs more torque. Not sure what the new 6 speed can handle). I corrected the situation 3 years ago and the tranny is bulletproof.

I think it's win-win for all consumers when the Big Three compete to make a better rig. I'm glad to hear that folks really like the Torqueshift....But you'll hear good things and bad about each brand.

Keep the shiny side up and the rubber side down!

Wayne

Senderofan

Seaman

Don't want to get feathers ruffled by my input. I just think the modern turbo diesel pickups have really hit a home run. I think diesel technology will help in our energy situation....and just might be a big part of a solution.

Just thought I'd share my experience with my turbo diesel...and hopefully dispell any wives tales in the process.

It's a great time to own a pickup...other than fuel prices. These things are getting more like premium cars in their interiors, ride and quietness.

Wayne

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Boatflounder

You will be pleased with your choice. You will just smile when you see someone pulling a big boat with a small tow vehicle. Having that truck and motor will make life much easier. It will eliminate all kinds of issues by having a good tow vehicle. Your mileage will not really be much less than with a smaller engine, and it won't be working as hard. I was wrong about my towing mileage above. I rechecked, and it was 11.96 MPG. That was over about 3000 miles. Quite a bit of in town driving, we launched seven times, and I cruised 65 to 70 MPH while on the highway.

Enjoy your new boat and truck.

Dave

hibbert6

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ever gotten deisel fuel on your hands?