F250 gas vs diesel

Bondo

Staff member
Re: F250 gas vs diesel

Ayuh,.......

I Agree with Most of what's been said,.........
A Diesel will offer Better fuel Economy,+ a Much Higher Resale value.......

My 96 F-250, 7.3l pulls 16mpg regularly,..... That's Fully loaded with Tools,+ extra Fuel on board..... It used to pull 19mpg+, before I loaded it up with Tools,+ such......
Comparable Gassers will pull Maybe 9mpg......

Btw,............
I will add only that diesel engines don't like being started, run a mile or so to the shopping center, turned off and started for the run home, and then repeating the cycle for other errands. They like to be started in the morning, run until lunch, restarted after and run until quiting time.
That's Pure BS...........

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, I am with the consensus here. Get what you want, but diesel will pay back only with a lot of miles.

I am with Bondo on the operating temp/short runs thing too. Basically, once either engine is at operating temp it doesn't know if it ran 10 minutes or ten hours . . .

I had a friend once who's wife made him leave his boat home on one of our trips because it needed a rest :rolleyes: Same thing, it didn't know it was resting, so how can it benefit from it? Engines don't have watches or calendars.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

The new diesel puts out 650ftlbs or torque at 2000rpm, the 6.8 457@3250 and the 5.4 365@3750. We recently rented a 2006 5.4L F250 to assist in a bunch of hauling we had to do. Although I did not drive it, the fellow who did thought it was weak/unstable feeling (and that was towing ~4000lbs). It also went through considerably more fuel than my partners F250 6.0 and even my F450 6.0...

If you do go gas, go with the 6.8, or at least try out the 5.4 first. We were not impressed...

D

DJ

There is no comparison between the 5.4 and the 6.8.

I recently did a test between an E-350 cube van (5.4) and an E-450 cube van (6.8). Same length. Same weight, plus both pulling identical trailers, both equipped with surge brakes. The trailer weight was 5200# and the load in the box was 4500#.

As stated, there was no comparison. Axle ratios were the same. Transmissions were the same (5 speed, 5R110-Torqueshift. Braking was much better on the 450 but that is to be expected as the 450 brakes are larger.

I did not feel that either was overloaded or unstable. I just had more confidence in the heavier (450) vehicle. The 6.8 would run much faster than was prudent. 75 MPH was not even making it breathe hard. Remember this was a cube van-lot's of frotal area. The 5.4 was working at anything over 65. I attribute that to wind resistance, more than load.

boatflounder

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Just to set the record straight, I WILL get whatever I want no matter how dumb some people (read wife) thinks it is.
JUst trying to get some information to make the best decision, as Ive never had a truck this big before and am still new at this towing thing. Appreciate all the info.

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I read with interest the comments that seem to imply impending trouble with Diesel engines if used lightly.....

Assuming that we're not talking about **VERY** light usage (not reaching operating temps and the like).....What sort of troubles should I expect?

Clogged injectors? Carbon build-up? Exactly what?

Chuck

D

DJ

SeaKaye12,

A lot of your question depends on what type of diesel. The newer diesels (about 2003 and newer) have EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valves that can clog with carbon.

Injectors are more of an issue as to the type of fuel used. All diesels, today, should be running ULSD (ultra low sulphur diesel) and using API CJ-4 oil for best results. The CJ-4 oil is a requirement if the diesel has a particulate trap (most 2008 and newer).

The diesel fuels of today are in flux. There are many formulations, just like gasoline. However, all on highway diesel must be ULSD. Quality varies by region and refiner.

If it were me, I would buy diesel at a well known national brand distributor and use an anti gel/cetane booster recommended by your vehicle maker. I would NOT USE JUST ANY additive.

Follow the vehicle makers recommended schedule for SEVERE SERVICE and consider engine hours along with miles. Consider that every hour of engine running time is equal to 33 miles, as a general rule.

Todays deisels are not the overweight, overbuilt slow behemoths of yesteryear. Thet are high revving, high performance engines. They just happen to burn a heavier fuel.

Bondo

Staff member

Assuming that we're not talking about **VERY** light usage (not reaching operating temps and the like).....What sort of troubles should I expect?

Ayuh,......

None..........

HyperFox

Petty Officer 3rd Class

K fellas... Ive read through here. You wont have any clogging of the injectors, or sooting of valves, or any of that with a diesel these days.. At the base here.. 90% of our vehicles are deisel. Powerstroke's on all 45 of out F450 ambulances, duramax's on the 200+ Milcots (think of a chevy crew cab spraypainted olive drab with detroit diesel engines.) our mercedes benz G-wagens, the Detroit Deisels in our AFV's, even the 9.75L Steyr engines in our heavy support trucks.

Weve suffered probably the worst condition of fuel in afganistan, to the point where I was changing primary fuel filters once an hour due to the high wax content. You get pretty quick about it when your stuck on the side of the road in a place that isnt very friendly... (I for one an extremely happy the US Army was there overhead with the Ah-64's.)

The old addage remains. Deisel engines to not like to idle. This is true. A carbon build up will happen at low idle if left for extended periods. I mean really extended. 2-4 hundred hours or even longer.

As for a light load. Whenever you vehicle moves, it has to work against load. Constantly. The weight of the vehicle alone gives enough resistance to bring rpms to at least 900 rpm or higher.

Also if you happen to be in Canada, all diesel should now be low-sulfur, which will greatly reduce the soot and carbon factor. I cant speak for the US, which may throw this completely out the window.

I think really what more do you get out of a diesel.

Increased milage.
Increased towing power.
Partially reduced maintenance, no spark plugs, no coils.

Here's what the downside is....
-Increased Cost. Diesels usually cost several thousand dollars more.
-Increased maintenance. 2-3 fuel filters (water separator as well. some are combined with the primary) some setups may have dual oil filters.
-Increased fuel cost. Depends on where you live here. Gas is 105.1/L... Diesel is 110.1/L...
-Smell. More of a wifey complaint if you catch my drift.
-Less infrastructure. In smaller areas diesel fuel isn't as widely available.

The big factor I find is the price of the engine when compared to the other. I think dodge diesels are rougly $7000 more for the set up. Thats a lot of bread to consider. Think long and hard about your choice man.

lorenbennett

Cadet

I installed the superchip on my 07 2500 ram 4wd with cummins and get 21 mpg unloaded and 12-14 pulling 260 sundancer. hit the scales and I can hit around 10k lbs on trailer. Compared to gas its much cheaper to tow with diesel when you get up to that kind of weight. I tried once with 05 1500 with hemi and to lake Powell and back i averaged around 6mpg due to all the hills.;)

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Jay Merrill

I had to go to Grand Rapids, MI to pick up my new boat. We drove around town for 3 days without the boat. Just before I picked it up, I filled up the tank. We then did some sightseeing in IN, IL, and KY and got the boat wet in a few places. I used the cruise most of the time between 65 & 70MPH. I have a cover on the bed. The truck weighs about 6000# with what I have in it. The boat & single axel trailer weighed 2360#(I weighed it on a CAT scale at a truck stop). We also bought several cases of wine enroute and my wife bought some things, so we were certainly over the 6000# the truck usually weighs.

From St Pete to MI we got 15.5MPG.
On the way back with the boat, we got 11MPG.
Around town without a trailer I get about 10MPG.

Mileage has never really been an issue with me. The truck is a tool.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

Ayuh,......

None..........

Agreed. I have a total of 5 diesel engines to keep up with. Two in 123 MB's, two 6.0 Powerstrokes, and 1 JD. My F450 is our power hitter and we only use for heavy towing. It gets used the least. I have never had any special troubles or had to make any special considerations for any of them...

bamafutbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

my 2005 dodge quad laramie diesel is used as my home health vehicle, averaging 50-125 miles a day with me seeing 5-8 patients a day. computer average for mixed driving after 2-3 thousand miles is 22.0

boatflounder

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Dave,
I could live with those figures, Now have to find one with the v10 to testdrive when the time comes. Looked today and there is only one with the v10 anywhere close to me, they dont seem too stock too many of trhem.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It really is a nice truck. Get electric over hudraulic brakes on the trailer.

Ezrider_92356

Chief Petty Officer

i wouldnot go with the ford trition v10 its a horable gas hog, great power and torque but if you want any kind of economy out of it, its not going to happen. also matinace is expensive, just a simple spark plug change will cost you big bucks iv always been a fan of the ford 7.3 powerstrokes i havent had much experiance with the newer ones but the ones i have drivin seemed to have great power but i cant realy comment on economy

capecodder

Cadet

I feel the important thing about a tow vehicle is the ability to stop what you are towing. My Dad would tell me its not towing it that is the hard part its stopping the damn thing. Wise ole Dad....hey!

Also make sure that what you are towing is not above the vehicles tow rating. I have heard horror stories of insurance companies not paying damages because vehicles were towing more than what they are rated for

I prefer deisel over gas for towing. I have a 7.3 F250 superduty and I love driving it. it is tough in the winter tho. I have a gas 92 F150 for around town and I take the deisel on the highway trips. I do not like taking it on short trips I believe its not good for it. Summer I use the deisel and park the gas. So, I guess it depends on how you plan on using it. i bought this deisel for life and I beleive it will out live me for sure. That is the big plus to me, they last forever.

Rick
2000 F250
2005 Springdale 295bhgl
14' Morrocraft

bigmarc66

Seaman

I drive a 96' F-450 with the 7.3 powerstroke diesel. You cannot go wrong. I put my boat behind it, or the bobcat, you dont even know its there. If you want a truck that is going to be a life long workhorse, buy a diesel. If you want a truck to tool around town in and tow something every once in awhile then buy a gas engine. The fact of the matter is, when I pull up to a red light in my truck and listen to the diesel purring, that revs me up.
bigmarc

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Capecodder

I agree with you. Keeping your weight legal and the ability to stop have always been important to me. You can get a trailer moving with anything if you apply enough HP. Being able to control it is another thing.

capecodder

Cadet

oh ya big marc! especiallly when the turbo kicks in. can I here a tim the tool man ......arh arh arh.