Evolution versus Creation

rolmops

Vice Admiral
I was not present during either evolution or creation so I cannot bear witness as to which one is true.<br />I understand that creationists do believe literally word for word what is written in the bible.If that understanding is correct,do creationists believe that the earth is flat and that the sun turns around the earth?<br />Just wondering.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Evolution versus Creation

What Alden said.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

Just thinking from outside of the box, but what if both of those theories are absolutely dead wrong?

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by Vlad D Impeller:<br /> Just thinking from outside of the box, but what if both of those theories are absolutely dead wrong?
Re-trolling existing trolls is not permitted :mad:

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I thought you might think of this as a troll.<br />Let us just say that I was in a mischievous mood.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

"Re-trolling existing trolls is not permitted :mad: "<br /><br />Your ineptitude to converse without terminologies worn to ineffectualness by overfamiliarities is awesomely breath-taking :rolleyes:

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

so what happens when they find apes evolved from humans? I mean the whole evolution argument is to evolve to survive not evole to a specific life form.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

"so what happens when they find apes evolved from humans?"<br /><br /><br />Awe c'mon! Don't insult the apes :D

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

Rodbolt, I like how you think. You escaped the abvious and thought outside the box. <br /><br />As for the whole evolution and creation thing, I am not aware, and I count on you all to enlighten me, of any evidence that says both could not exist. I admit I have not read the bible from beginning to end, however does it say how God created? Why could God not have used evolution as his method of fine-tuning his creations? And dinosaurs, please, God could have created those and and the bible jus thave omitted the mention of them. The bible does refer to days, but since I was little I questioned, to God how long was a day? Was it our 24hrs, or perhaps amillion years? Until the time of the Caesars, our year wasn't 12 months long, it wasn't until they added July (for Julius) and August, (for, you guessed it Augustus) that we got our current 12 month year. And do you notice that those are the only two consecutive months with 31 days?<br /><br />I just saw a cartoon, a man climbs to the top af a mountain to be close to Gos and asks, "God, what is a million years to you?" <br />God replies, "A minute.<br />Man asks, "God what is a million dollars to you?"<br />God replies, "A minute.<br />"May I have a million dollars?<br />"In a minute." :) <br /><br />Makes me wonder how much humor and how much truth is in that joke.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

yep the gray ones :) <br /> the purple ones are all bad and should be killed on site.<br /> <br /> David<br /> yes I tended to drive teachers nuts.<br /> in the 60's and 70's I contended that most crude oil was not from dinosaurs. cant happen.<br /> I also contended that something dramatic happened several times in our past.<br /> I kept telling the teacher there is no way you will have so many preseved remains of so many species in a location in the same earth strata.<br /> if the critters had died of old age and laid down then bacteriea,ants and other scavengers would have made a hasty retreat with the remains. comes to find out I was at least partially right.<br /> I also argued that no way was a 20 ton animal is cold blooded. cant happen<br /> aint no way<br /> it must have another system to help regulate that much mass. just sun and dark wont.<br /> come to find out I was right there.<br /><br /> its not hard<br /> when a teacher was spweing "fact" that she was taught from another clueless one you have to think.<br /> how long would it take for the sun to heat flesh,under scales, 3 ft thick then cool it if it became to hot? remember HVAC techs were not unionized then.<br /> <br /> I am suspect of everything<br /> the only motto I go by is if it quacks,waddles and swims, blast it and add taters and ya got duck soup.<br /> to go on the God theory alone is ludicrous. the bible is a farce. the content is not but the timeline is.<br />humans have roamed the earth at least 1 million years before the bible even admits the earth was formed.<br /> but if ya see the yellow aliens ask them about the dino's, just before ya kill them too.<br /> let the flames begin

mrbscott19

Chief Petty Officer

Aliens came(polka dotted, of course), found the most intelligent species on the planet, and created a hybrid we call humans. That would explain why we're so genetically close to chimps, but yet so different.<br /><br />And over the years, those aliens came back in their spaceships to check on our progress, and we were in such awe of their abilities and power, we started to worship them as the almighty. :eek: :D :p

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Rod, it isn't just dinosaurs that oil came from, it is all carbon based life. There is definately a finite amount of this substance, we just have no true idea how finite it is (not to get into a rambling debate on how much longer we get to drive cars). I am a big fan of evolution, but I can also see a few holes in it. One could wonder, if evolution exists for a life form to become better, why would there still be chimps after humans came along. Of course, anyone who understands evolution knows that lifeforms do not evolve in a linear fashion, but can branch into variants of that lifeform. Hence, the various species of similar lifeforms. There is always the possibility of other explanations.<br /><br />Intelligent design assumes a single diety sat there and decided there would be 44,000 different spiders in the U.S. alone as an example. It assumes that the Dodo Bird would be created, just to die off. If an all-knowing intelligence has the ability to create every life form, why bother to create life that ends up going extinct.<br /><br /> Intelligent design, like anything religious, relies on a person deciding they don't need to know how it works or why it works, just that it works. It relies on unquestioning faith. Well, religion is facing the need to prove itself. People, I hope, are wanting proof, not just blind acceptance. <br /><br />mrb, we all know know Jesus was an astronaut. Our species came to Earth to colonize this planet because we overpopulated our planet and depleted its resources. This planet was suitable due to its carbon-based life, and the existance of primate and hominid forms. The ship we landed in was massive, but was severely damaged in the landing. That ship is now known as Atlantis. Over thousands of years, humans devolved to living off of the land with no technology, we forgot what we were. The basic understanding still existed deep in our advanced brains, and we started to create technology. Jesus was from a succesful colonization of another planet, they needed to know what happened to this colony. <br /><br />They were attempting to bring us up to speed. Jesus may have been a carpenter, but he was probably much more. Of course, we were barbaric and unenlightened, and as a result, Jesus died. The rescue team came, found his body, and took it home. They continue to check on us, but only see us making the same mistakes our ancestors did: Using up the planet. <br /><br />Now, why is that theoretical scenario any less likely than the biblical version? I know I say it all the time, but the bible is Man's interpretation, not direct evidence of anything.

BrettNC

Petty Officer 1st Class

I believe in evolution. <br /><br />But there is something that gave living forms the capability to evolve and grow and adapt into things so complex that we do not even understand how 50% of the human body operates.<br /><br />Something created the beginning of time and space.<br /><br />There has to be a higher power.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

"Most intelligent lifeform on the planet"??<br /><br />The development of language and writing, along with the opposable thumb are hardly qualifications for most intelligent lifeform. Most technologically advanced is a better term.<br /><br />Further, we don't even "rule" the planet, bugs do.

D

DJ

JasonJ wrote:<br /><br />
Rod, it isn't just dinosaurs that oil came from, it is all carbon based life. There is definately a finite amount of this substance
There are many theories, now, that state that the production of oil/coal, etc., is continuing. <br /><br />Makes sense to me. Whether it outpaces demand, is another question.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Too true JB. Nothing more prolific, or succesful, than the worlds insect population. If God created them, he did a great job. If Evolution created them, well, that was pretty darn good too. As far as intelligence goes, you would have to decide if intelligence is based on our ability to create technology, art, theater, culture, etc. If intelligence is based on our decisions that we make that wreak havoc on each other and the planet, well, you got me there... :) <br /><br />DJ, it is definately debatable as to weather we will use up all the fossil fuel in the near term or not. I do believe it would be prudent of us, if we want to continue our way of life, to be more aggressive in our pursuit of a more reliable and long term source of energy. While things like space exploration and such is pretty important, I think at this time in our life we should spend those bilions on alternative energy and that sort of thing. We get that ironed out, then we can play on Mars...

D

DJ

JasonJ,<br /><br />I wasn't disagreeing with your thoughts on preservation and the search of alternatives. Just the statement that fossil fuels are "finite".

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I know you were'nt. Have you seen that process they came up with that takes biological matter such as turkey renderings and converts it to light oils? Its pretty darn cool, and they predict it will create heavy crude once they get it ironed out in a few years. They have a plant in Pensylvania that is online even as we speak.