Evinrude tracker 25hp

cameronhanny

Cadet
So my motor is an evinrude tracker 25 hp. It is not a hand tiller. Does anyone know if they are 2 stroke, 4 stroke or can be either?

jasper60103

Commander
Re: Evinrude tracker 25hp

So my motor is an evinrude tracker 25 hp. It is not a hand tiller. Does anyone know if they are 2 stroke, 4 stroke or can be either?

If you can lift it, its a 2 stroke. :laugh:

Seriously though, I don't think the tracker label went on a 4 stroke.
Look for a model number on the side of the transom bracket.
That should tell you exactly what you have.

jasper

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

If it has a flywheel belt, oil filter and a dip stick definitely it's a 4 stroke...

Happy Boating

cameronhanny

Cadet

I was able to go outside today to look over my boat and motor. It is a 2 stroke and has 4 plugs. So I'm guessing it is a 4 cylinder. But I need to know 2 more things about my motor. 1. Does anyone know the gas ratio for my motor? And 2. What brand and style battery should I buy to power the motor, nav lights, a 12v plug in and maybe some big lights for night fishing? Thanks in advance for any answers you can give me.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

4 pluggs = 4 cylinders whether a V or in line 4. Gas/Oil ratio should be 50:1 unless being a VRO version which adjusts oil on rpm demand. Go for at least a Heavy Duty 60/70 amp bat.

Happy Boating

cameronhanny

Cadet

I bought a 845 cranking amp everlast deep cycle marine battery today, just hit the key to see if it would crank and started cranking as soon as I turned the key. Would I need to mix the gas before putting it in the tank or just pour the oil in the tank with the gas? I was also thinking the same thing about the 4 plugs on a 25. There are 2 on top and 2 on the bottom.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Do not start that motor until you post a model number. NO ONE can tell what motor it really is and you have posted some confusing information.

If it is started wrong, the wrong fuel or fuel mix is used ........you will damage the motor.

Do not take the chance.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

If it really is a 4 cylinder Evinrude we can surely say it isn't a 25 and may not be an evinrude.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Probably he missed by 100, 125 ? Post internal powerhead pics for clarification. If it's a VRO engine don't need to mix oil in tank, should have an internal small oil tank inside cowl. If you add oil in fuel tank being a VRO engine that horse will smoke worst than a gang of indians smoking a peace pipe each inside a tent.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

cameronhanny

Cadet

I have already searched the model number and it is a 25. I will post it so you can search for yourself. I don't know a lot about boats but that was the one thing I triple checked to make sure it was right.
Te25eleid <- there is the model number. Reads out evinrude tracker model, 25 hp electric start, 20" shaft, 91 model. The only part of the model number I didn't understand was the suffix, searched for at least and hour and couldn't figure out what it was for.

Last edited:

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If it has four spark plugs, it is NOT a 25.

starcraftkid

Petty Officer 1st Class

A TE25ELEID is a twin cylinder motor, it has two spark plugs, two pistons, etc.
http://www.**********/parts/search/BRP/EVINRUDE/1991/TE25ELEID/CYLINDER & CRANKCASE/parts.html
If you have more than two spark plugs, its not a 1991 25hp. I have two of those motors here and am very familiar with them.
If you have a four plugs, and its an OMC motor, someone has switched the ID tag. OMC four cylinder motors are 85hp to 140hp.
A two stroke motor will not have two plugs per cylinder. On the Ford 2.3L with the four plugs, the plugs fire sequentially and the two plugs fire at different timing intervals. This would not work in a two stroke motor.

Let see some pics.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Check the model number. It states that it is a 25. http://shop.evinrude.com/media/document/ModelNumberReference.pdf
I have owned a ford ranger that had 8 plugs but was a 4 cylinder. It was uncommon but still a normal 4 cylinder.

You're right, some did. They weren't the only ones.

No OMC product ever had two plugs/cylinder. At least no 2 strokers. Suzuki did.

Tracker used OMC (Johnson/Evinrude) rebadged products from about 1988 until about 1991.

cameronhanny

Cadet

I am at work and get off at 5. Can have pics up around 5:15. It is an omc motor(at least that is what it says on the hand throttle), it does have 4 plugs. I think it would be impossible to put a 25hp cover on an 85hp up motor. I have never seen one fit perfect on that big a jump in hp. Everything the model # says online is matching my motor to a T. I don't know much about boat motors but from looking at the model # on my motor to the ones online they are identical. I understand it is hard to get an idea of what I'm saying without pictures. Even the size if the motor is only slightly bigger then the 7.5hp hand tiller I have for my jon boat so I wouldn't think it is much bigger then a 25hp that has been badged a 25.

cameronhanny

Cadet

Here are the pics of my motor.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 0

nwcove

Admiral

it is what you say it is......but there isnt 4 plugs . ( you must be mistaking the boots on the coils for the other two "plugs")