evinrude 10hp qd-23

coolguy147

Commander
Re: evinrude 10hp qd-23

lol true true but ya... oh ya ok here's my question

is there a carb rebuild kit for a 1959 sportwin evinrude from napa because its like in biking distance to me

CATransplant

Admiral

Someone already answered your question. Sierra 18-3003 is the part for the kit from your Napa dealer. They'll probably have to order it for you, unless they do a lot of boat business.

Like I said, there is lots of help here, but you have to ask questions in a reasonable way and read the answers you get. Napa sells Sierra parts. So does this site. You can order that kit right here if your Napa dealer doesn't seem too helpful. It'll be there in just a few days.

Try, the next time you have a question, to write it down carefully. I'm sure you've studied English at school. Try to remember what you learned there about sentences, spelling, and punctuation.

It's not just here, either. Eventually, you'll be out looking for a job. Trust me, learning to speak and write in good, standard English will mean you get the job instead of a "Sorry, that job has been filled."

Nothing will be more important to your future than learning and practicing the use of good English. It may not seem important to you now, but it will soon enough, and you may have used lazy language habits too long to change easily.

College, jobs, and more will depend a great deal on how well you communicate. Start working on that at 13, and you'll have no problem. Ignore it, and others will be getting the good jobs and promotions while you're stuck in dead end jobs.

Lecture over.

coolguy147

Commander

when i write stuff down i use proper punctuations and most of the time online but this is just one big open space. so i just keep going like there no 2moro and that sierra kit is for what part? impeller im thinking but i dearly hope its the carb rebuild kit.

bailey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You're asking for a part # verification! Don't be sooooo lazy and reread the previous posts just like the rest of us do! Good thing your not my son,you'd be getting a swift kick you know where.
Bailey

wbeaton

Commander

The Sierra carb kit doesn't include a float. You can't get the float at NAPA. You have to get the BRP kit from your local marine parts dealer. You can get the impeller at NAPA.

coolguy147

Commander

lol i know i read it later but i just went to the napa store they had a water pump impeller so i odered it. should come in tuesday. i asked them about the carb rebuild kit . they had a rebuild kit but no float so ill stop by the local evinrude dealer. thanks guys for ur help! i know i been a pain in the butt and u guys really wanna kick me out but really thanks. im learning so much new junk( good junk) so ill have to wait a little though cause of the dumb storm ike. ill have to wait a little before i repair the boat motor cause the safest place is on the boat it self. so heres a list of new things i need to do

new spark plugs
new rebuild kit w/ float
change gear oil. by the way what kind of gear oil should i get?
get prop rehubed ( does bass pro do this im going to call )
get water impeller and install

clean carb... check(sweet one down..):D

CATransplant

Admiral

when i write stuff down i use proper punctuations and most of the time online but this is just one big open space. so i just keep going like there no 2moro and that sierra kit is for what part? impeller im thinking but i dearly hope its the carb rebuild kit.

I'm going to give up on this thread at this point. This is not "one big open space." This is a busy, serious web site with a lot of people volunteering to help other boaters.

Most of us love to help, but we expect a little work on the part of those being helped. That starts by the person asking the question trying to make it as easy as possible for those who can answer.

Not doing that, when you're capable of it, just shows disrespect for the very people you're asking to help you. Not cool, Coolguy. Not at all.

Capitalize. Punctuate. Write in sentences.

rjezuit

Chief Petty Officer

It seems like we are dealing with a beligerant, immature child. Nothing like asking for help, and not returning the favor by doing something as simple as proofreading, and punctuating a post. Eventually, when the child shows some maturity (if ever), he will realize this. If not, he will end up as many of the thousands of lost souls on public assistance and whine how the world is unfair. You have to be willing to put work into something (anything) if you want to get something out of it. I hope I didn't write in words too big for the youngster to comprehend.

coolguy147

Commander

ok well i called the local evinrude dealer there number is 407-249-1124 if u wanna call them. again very much for helping me thanks! ok im seriuos about this just u knwo kinda hard to tell when talking online lol. i called and they checked out this number 439071 the guy doesnt even knwo whats its even for but he said it comes with all the gaskets float needle seat o rings etc(rebuild kit) he said it was about 25$$ and the dealer is 9 miles away. there called boat tune http://www.boattune.com/default.asp website. yes im so sorry for bothering u guys..

im so happy though so im going to get the rebuild kit 2moro or later today once again thank you

thank you so all i need now to get is gear oil spark plugs and prop rehubed

big question of the day for u guys for me what kind of oil should i use to fill the gearcase with help appreictaed please. tell the weight recommened brand etc

Xcusme

Commander

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Sometimes, there's not enough rocks."

--Forest Gump
[/FONT]

wbeaton

Commander

I hate to bail on a 13 year old kid, but I gave you that exact part number on Sept 2 and then again on the 4th. Then you called the dealer on the 6th and got the number from them. You obviously don't need my help. And I just don't have the time or patience to keep repeating myself.

Good luck with your motor. It will be a nice machine once you get it going.

jonesg

Admiral

13 was tough,
I was too old and too young.
Thankfully the internet didn't exist or I would have sunk into a culture of self absorbed gibberish.

Keep slugging kiddo, better you try to fix that old outboard than get into drugs.

2 old farts , whining about kids...

"if that was my kid I'd kick his butt"

so would I ...if he was YOUR kid.

Give the kid a chance, at least he is trying to do something right. I suppose some of you always did things right when you were younger; follow directions etc I sure didn't. Give him a chance if the darn periods . etc are missing put them in yourself. You can't tell his circumstances he may be doing the best he can with what he has got. Cut him some slack , thanks Ken.

CATransplant

Admiral

And yet, it was the old farts you're complaining about who actually helped the kid with his questions. At the same time, they were trying to get him to try a little harder with his questions and with reading the answers.

Those who actually help can criticize. Those who show up at the end of the thread should try to help. That's my opinion, and yes, I'm an old fart.

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer

Wayne, I can certainly understand your frustration. But He did say that the guy at the marina had no idea what the part was for. So that would seem to indicate that he gave him the part # that he got from you. So that's a good thing.

He's obviously working on his English skills. His latest posts are definitely better than his first. Still a little hard to read though.

coolguy, The proper lower unit lube is just standard old every day 90 weight or "high vis" Lower unit lube. Available at any walmart or other big box store. You'll want to pick up the pump kit from the Evinrude dealer if the box store doesn't have one. Plus you'll want to get new sealing washers for the vent and drain plugs 50 cents apiece. They are said to be the most common source of leaks. You want the engine vertical for this operation. You just remove the upper vent plug then the lower drain plug and let the old stuff run out. Look at the old stuff that comes out. If it's black then it's just been in there too long and the lower unit is not likely to be leaking. If it's a milky white color then the lower unit is likely leaking and you may need to address it. Once it's drained then screw the hose from the pump into the lower drain plug hole and pump until it comes out the upper vent hole. Then install the upper vent plug (with a new washer) first. Then unscrew the hose and quickly install the drain plug (again with a new washer) Make note of the smell of the lower unit lube. It's very distinctive. If the stuff that's leaking out of the exhaust outlet (pictured) you mentioned earlier has this smell then it's likely that your shift shaft seal or drive shaft seal is leaking. But you can cross that bridge when you get to it.

One general tip. You can always type out your replies in Word and it will spell check and check punctuation automatically. After a while things will just become second nature. Then just copy and paste the message here. Quick and easy. You could also get Mozilla Firefox to use instead of I. Explorer. It spell checks these kinds of things automatically.

Good luck! And stick with it. Soon you'll have it running just like new.

..............Todd

Attachments

• DCP_1253.JPG
    DCP_1253.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 0

coolguy147

Commander

no it doesnt come out of the exhaust port but theres a tiny hole right at the top of the prop or what i meant to say is right above it. but when i took the motor off the transom on my pontoon i put on a sawhorse straight up vertical. the next day i saw little oil come out drip off on to the ground. im thinking to my self this is the crankcase drain i was told about earlier. and how much oil of 90w highvilosity oil should i buy like im thinkign one quart should be fine. how much would a pump be? would napa auto parts store sell one? im thinking about stopping by there today,

thanks for the tips i truly appreciate u guys and by the way its really funny when u guys argue!:D

CATransplant

Admiral

That was much better. Thanks for trying to improve your communications skills. You might want to capitalize the first word of each sentence.

The little hole you're talking about is a drain for the top of the lower unit. Oil coming out of there is nothing to worry about. It's just left over from the exhaust.

You should still drain and refill the gearcase, though. As someone pointed out above, make sure you get new seals for the drain plugs. Also, if there is a screw on the side of the lower unit of that model with a phillips head, don't remove it, or you'll have big problems. The drain screw is near the bottom of the gearcase and has a straight slot. The upper screw looks just the same, and will be near the top of the gearcase.

You can buy the oil and the pump, or you can buy a squeeze tube of the high-viscosity oil. It'll be less expensive. For your little engine, the squeeze tube will have enough oil for your gearcase. You put the oil in from the bottom, until it just starts to come out of the top hole. Then, you put the top screw plug in first. After that, you remove the squeeze tube or pump fitting and quickly put the bottom plug in. You'll lose a tiny bit of the oil, but that's nothing to worry about.

I recommend that you do the oil change on the gearcase either before or after changing the water pump impeller. Don't try to do it with the gearcase removed.

Remember: Don't take out the phillips head screw on the side of the gearcase.

coolguy147

Commander

ya im not going to go that far in captilizing my letters unless of course its my name only lol. but i know what u mean about the screws but i dont remember seeing a philips head screw anywhere. only place that i might remember is i think right next to the prop on the other side lol but i wont remove anything but the screws for the oil lol. and to take off the gear case to get to the water pump u have to take off the socket wrench nuts right? and i dont think i can go to walmart but im sure napa will probably have a washer like it. well kinda sucks cause i biked all the way to napa today and forgot halfway there that their closed on sunday:p. other then that all i need now is to get new spark plugs im going to get 4 of them just incase they foul out when im driving around :D

thanks guys sorry for ur inconvience

coolguy147

Commander

2moro im going to see if napa has the water pump impeller in then im going to try to install it and im going to see if they have a pump for the gear case. seahorse recommended one so ill see if they have one

coolguy147

Commander

well after i get this up and running. im probably going to rebuild my pontoon thats its on. probably jsut replace the plywood and the whole transom big enoguh for leats a 70 or something not sure cause the max capacity rating plate is gone. anyideas on how to find it out again? 1962 20ft 8 ft wide reveira cruiser ( excuse my spelling). so after that im probably going to try to fix up my 1962 merc500 put that on the pontoon once i get a new transom for it. i cant use the mer on the boat thats its on now since its kinda mest up and probably to expnsive for me to fix. so i will probably deicde to put my little 10hp evinrude 1959 sportwin on the john boat for cruising. any ideas comments concerns appreicated ,oh and questions too?