Ever shot a machine gun?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Ever shot a machine gun?

Oops! Forgot the BAR. <br /><br />I would like to fire a .50BMG single shot someday.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by JB:<br /> I would like to fire a .50BMG single shot someday.
1,000yd target match comes to mind there..<br /><br />shot a few fulls in private collections but, they didn't trip my trigger :p

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I may have shot a few machine guns..... :)

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

How about the SKS? I've never fired one,but was wondering why so cheep?I see them all the time for a couple hundred bucks(not fully auto)

fire831

Petty Officer 1st Class

Shot a uzi one time and M-16. Man that was fun.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

I have shot a M16 and a MP5, liked both of them. Had a friend with a mini14 that had been "adjusted". His adjustments basiclly ruined the gun. If you loaded a 20 round clip thats what you got. Once you pulled the trigger it didn't stop till out of bullets. Awful scary.

SoulWinner

Commander

M16 Full Auto<br />M16 3 round burst<br />M60 Full Auto<br />M50 Full Auto<br /><br />I decided last year to get a licence and get full auto AK.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

SKS is the generation that came before the AK47.You might say that the AK47 is the full automatic SKS.<br />The finest guns for sniping are probably the old German Mauser carabine and the M14.That is of course when you fill your own cartridges with a very precise scale.

Juggernaut

Seaman Apprentice

Does the MK19 automatic grenade launcher count? Man I loved being a heavy machine gunner... even if it was only for a little bit!

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by JB:<br /> Oops! Forgot the BAR. <br /><br />I would like to fire a .50BMG single shot someday.
That might be workable. I hope to put the Al. 21' day cruiser around the corner from ya at Uncle Gus's by this Summer. <br /><br />Shooting a .50 is an event I always look forward to. I'm always on the lookout for new targets & places to fire it. These things 'sing a song' that carries about 2 miles. <br /><br />If you've got a place where the neighbors won't mind, a berm or hill several feet thick to catch the bullets, and with a range of a couple hundred yards or so.... gather some of those little paper dots, or engine blocks, frozen milk jugs, cinder blocks, old lawnmowers, etc........ and we can get ya qualified on it.

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Fixin:<br /> How about the SKS? I've never fired one,but was wondering why so cheep?I see them all the time for a couple hundred bucks(not fully auto)
The SKS only fires semi-auto. <br /><br />They don't cost much since it is a very cheaply made weapon with only a few loose tollerance, and poorly fitted & finished parts.

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Winger,so is the SKS junk or is it worth a couple hundred?I have a AR-15 and been thinking about picking up a AK or SKS.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Which SKS? The Russian one ,the Serbian one. Or the Chinese one?<br />The Russian ones from the fifties are a very fine sturdy weapon,although they are a bit heavy.<br />The Chinese ones are lighter and not quite as good.The Serbian ones that are much of the current market are of good quality,but not as good as the russian ones,instead they are more like the chinese version.<br />Then there are the Pakistani ones.These are made in small metal work shops in the Afgani-Pakistani border region.Sort of a home industry you might say.These are usually crappy.Very often they are made from old ak 47s whose barrels have been worn out and they were discarded ,only to be picked up by local tribesman and they are refurbished with some nice looking wood.

FLATHEAD

Captain

Yep, shot my fair share of ammo thru an auto.

tylerin

Commander

The SKS only fires semi-auto. <br />
Easily converted one to rock and roll with a piece of a cement trowell (Spring steel). Took about an hour. Just for sh!ts and giggles

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by JB:<br /> Oops! Forgot the BAR. <br /><br />I would like to fire a .50BMG single shot someday.
Whose shoulder ya gonna use JB? :D A single shot .50 cal sounds murderous to the shooter. <br /><br />I too would like to try the BAR. An awesome looking rifle. Got to hold a civilian remake version that a guy had in a local parade.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Ya'all I bunch of wimps ('ceptin Rolmops!). <br />Minigun, Minigun, Minigun! Still have a ammo box in my shop! Got one just as I was leaving Vietnam (69) for the gun truck I was a convoy mechanic on. Did the (M)60's and 50's, carried the 16 (and 60 somtimes)...had a jeep with twin 50's that seems to go up on two wheels firing off the side, heard of quad 50's on a turret on a jeep, but think the Geneva Convention laws said "no way"....something about "slaughtering". Stick a "LAW" on yer shoulder, and feel sorry for the tank 1000 yards away! M-79 at close range just too much fun. Remember when we got Tank Farm guard duty, every half hour or so, it was a 2-3 minute full blast of the bushes on full auto. Spent the time in between unloading all the clips, and making full "tracer only" clips. Neat laser show!. God, we had fun! On the SKS, used to get them for $45....not bad, you could shot out the black no problem, only it was the black of the guys target NEXT to you. I have a Mauser Carbine that will put them all in the black at 100 yards with iron sights.......but I still like my 50 cal 8" wheelgun...wish ammo was a LOT cheaper...Rock on! :eek:
MinigunAmmoBox.jpg

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer

[/quote]A single shot .50 cal sounds murderous to the shooter. I [/QB][/quote]<br /><br />Not really. They have huge muzzel brakes on them that tame the recoil down to about what you get from a 12guage shotgun or .30-06 only with a longer duration of the 'push' I guess you'd call it. <br /><br />Without the muzzel brake? Yeah, they'll hurt ya. There are a few horror stories of guys getting their shoulders or collarbones broken. <br /><br />///<br /><br />Oh,,, on the SKS thing:<br />I wouldn't call them junk. But Firearms, like cars, tires, whiskey, diamonds, and almost everything else: Its a 'get what you pay for' industry. <br /><br />For $200,,,, you should expect to get $200 worth of gun. For $1,000, you normally get one that's made somewhat better,,, etc. etc.