Ever shot a machine gun?

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Ever shot a machine gun?

F1 9mm SMG<br /><br />L2A1 7.62mm LMG<br /><br />M60 LMG<br /><br />.30 cal MG<br /><br />Best is near dark on a tank range when there's just enough light to sight the targets (car bodies etc) but the tracer has strong effect. <br /><br />Also a .22 semi-auto that in my early teens we converted to fully auto by filing and fiddling with various bits. Heaps of cheap fun shooting the bore out.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Reading through this post,I realized something funny.Most guns mentioned here are automatic rifles,not machine guns.Everybody seems to really enjoy emptying the clip as fast as possible.<br />As machine gunners we always tried to get to that pinnacle of weapons control by either firing single shots or "playing the gun" by rhytmically firing single shots.If you could do that,then you knew how to use a machine gun.I also remember that a machine gunner was always the number one target to go after.That was one of the main reasons why we tried to keep our burst real short.<br />The good thing was that you give 'm hell while you were still out of their range,because your machine gun is quite effective at a thousand yards and more.<br />One more thing about tracers.The standard belt has one tracer every 10 bullets.If we did anything with them at all, it was removing them and putting standard in.One in every twenty did draw a lot less fire.

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by rolmops:<br /> I also remember that a machine gunner was always the number one target to go after.That was one of the main reasons why we tried to keep our burst real short.<br />The good thing was that you give 'm hell while you were still out of their range,because your machine gun is quite effective at a thousand yards and more.<br />
The good thing about being a machine gunner is that you're the main firepower and everybody else has a strong interest in keeping you alive and your weapon firing.<br /><br />For true long range machine gunnery, it's hard to go past a Vickers that can fill a box section at 4,500 yards indirect fire e.g. enemy out of sight over a hill. Also it is water cooled so it can maintain a higher rate of fire without overheating the barrel and losing accuracy or needing a hot barrel changed.<br /><br />Never used or seen one fire, but people I know who have say they were awesome. Like mini artillery. Just too awkward to move them and their gear around and too many soldiers required to serve the gun, usually 6 to 8 men.