Ever lended your boat to someone and......

brother chris

Commander
I lended my boat to my friend last year while we were camping so I could go home and get some more stuff. <br />When I came back he told me that when he left the dock, he ended up hitting another boat. <br />Luckily he never caused any damage. <br />I will NEVER lend my boat to anyone else again. <br /><br />So....how many of you lended out your boat and regretted it?

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Ever lended your boat to someone and......

I lend mine out to family whenever they want, with the understanding that if they breaky, they fixy.<br /><br />I like to see them get used, even if I cannot go.<br />It keeps them "limbered-up" for when I do get time to ride-on-out...No stale gas or varnished carbs.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Lend my girls out?... What?... :eek: <br /><br />No way.. No how.. No Sir.. Over my dead body... :cool:

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class

Never been asked, probably only to my boating big and little bros.

ZmOz

Captain

A couple years ago while I was waiting to use the ramp I saw a guy's boat come flying off the trailer when he drove up the ramp. Apparently it wasn't tied down at all. Screwed up the fiberglass and did some serious damage to the outdrive. As I was helping him push it back onto the trailer, he said "ah s**t this is my brother's boat". :rolleyes:

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

One thing you can be ABSOLUTELY sure of----My boat doesn't go ANYWHERE without ME!!!!!!

FSHKPR

Ensign

only a couple people i let use mine. my dad is one, and he does not like to use it. also let my son in law use it once. came back with a broken atenna (sp) never even offered to have fixed, just said sorry. my son is not responsible enough. so no i am not lending mine to anyone anymore.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

My son. He took good care of her.

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

I have a good friend. When he goes up to the lake he will usually beat me there. He gets the boat out of the garage, launched and sometimes bait caught. All I have to do is fish.<br /><br />I wouldn't let many others do that.

sangerwaker

Commander

No freakin way is anybody else takin out my baby! No one's ever asked, cuz they all know how I feel about my boat. Something about a cold day in a really hot place.......

LadyFish

Admiral

NO WAY! <br /><br />We have a few friends who are captains and it would still have to be a VERY special situation. On the flip side, we wouldn't borrow anyone else boat either. Doodoo happens and it always seems to happen to us. Its not just the expense of what might happen its the down time. Of course we would pay to fix it, but its just not a good idea if you want to remain friends. Nobody knows your boat like you do and somebodys never going to hear the end of it.

dolluper

Captain

Let the brother in law use mine once the repairs afterwards taught me a good and only lesson No you can't use it,it's not running right!!! as I pull out to test it on the lake over and over again till the seasons finished

NYMINUTE

Captain

No One, Not ever. Especially family. They usually think "It's OK, we are family" NOT!

one more cast

Captain

I would let almost any responsible person borrow my boat if I felt they would take care of it. Its just a beater anyway. My old shop teacher from 25 years ago said he liked the style of my boat and ask me if I liked it.... I told him to come get it and take it for a try. He never did but I would trust him with it.

SoulWinner

Commander

Originally posted by LadyFish:<br /> NO WAY! <br /><br /> Doodoo happens and it always seems to happen to us.
You too? My sentiments exactly LF :D

ehenry

Commander

I'm like OMC, my boat is a beater but it runs and gets me where i'm going. Maybe not in high style or at 50 mph but it gets me there. I'd lend it any of the folks in my circle of friends or family members.<br /><br />Bro-n-law told me the other day he wanted me to help him finish breaking in his new boat....Ranger VX522 with a Yamaha HPDI 250 on the back. He hasn't had time to run the engine to break in it and asked if i'd help him. I gave him one of those "What the HeII do you think" Looks.

salty87

Commander

twice-<br /><br />neighbors lived across the street, on the water. they hadn't had a boat in years but liked having one in the slip so they let me use their covered lift....great neighbors! i told them they were welcome to use it and they had threatened to for a long time.<br /><br />that time finally came when they had some family in town. i couldn't take them out for whatever reason so i told them to have fun. it was just a cruise, no kids or anything.<br /><br />when i finally made it down to the slip, they were back from the cruise and said they'd never borrow it again. i had never had a problem with it, they had been on the boat a bunch with me and had never had problems.....so, they were cruising down the lake, nice and slow, when someone in the back seat asks if her feet should be getting wet??!!!! ...turns out the bilge wasn't working, i think the impeller in it got hung up on something...they didn't notice that the bilge hadn't kicked on at all thw whole trip. riding slow and bow high like that, all the water in the bilge collected at the back seat...no damage to the boat. they had it on the lift and were drying it out but said never again. they haven't, to this day, asked again. <br /><br />2nd time, got hurt wakeboarding and went home via ambulance. the crew was left to get it home and on the trailer (not using the lift at that time). it was a few weeks before i was mobile and when i finally could take a look at the boat...it was a mess. i think they had a party before they put the cover on, sure as he!! didn't clean anything up.<br /><br />i've borrowed a friend's boat a few times. he keeps it parked in my yard and i'll use his when mine isn't running....might borrow it tonight if he isn't using it.

phatmanmike

Captain

i have loaned out 3 of my boats so far, and i will loan out all 6 if somebodey NICE asks. they are all beaters, but they work and they run great.<br /><br />like 12footer said, you breaky, you fixy

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

My first boat was a 16' Gheenoe which I co-owned. We had a little 5hp Gamefisher motor on it. The co-owner and I fished together most of the time. He couldn't drive a car due to having epilepsy so he never went without me.<br /><br />Poor guy never could get the motor started. He would always do something out of order or wrong. I ended up being the "captain" as a result. We had a tough time getting that boat on plane because he was a much larger guy than I was.<br /><br />My father-in-law borrowed my Glaston boat once. The motor cut out on him and he has never asked to borrow it again. He has a nicer flats boat anyhow now.

Realgun

Commander

After all that work I did NO WAY is anybody gonna borrow the boat ever! They keep asking for rides and even then I might say NO!<br /><br />I did it for me and mine not them and theirs.