Engine Cover/Rear Decking

Jeff Fro

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've finally splashed my project boat. Now to fine tune other items on the boat. I need to build a rear engine cover/deck. It needs to support one person for tanning reasons (LOL), able to lift/remove it for access to the battery switches and engine. I'm thinking an aluminum frame or a frame made out of 1x2 edge pieces with a sheet of 1/2" plywood across it with extra pieces for support. I'll guess it's about 40" x 6' 8". Measure it tonight for better numbers.

Any ideas? pics? Thanks.

CatBoat_007.jpg

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I built the doghouse out of 1/2 plywood. The front seams were fastened with fiberglass cloth and resin. The rear edge was strengthened with 2X2 lumber, screwed to the plywood. Cover the plywood with polyurethane inside and out, and cover with a rug or vinyl to match the seats.

Jeff Fro

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks Chris. I went with 1/2" plywood and 1x2's for/with support all the way around. Will be adding 2 x 3 along the edge for it to rest on. Seems the back of the boat isn't quite as square as I thought it was. At 30 x 66, didn't think it needed 2x4's for the cross supports. As it goes, I may find out different. Either way, it's time to get out and use it...when the rain quits.

CatBoat_025.jpg

Jeff Fro

Petty Officer 1st Class
After using the rear decking as shown, I have come to the realization, it sucks.

Can't reach the battery switches easily. Anything on the front of the motor that needs adjusted, can't get to. It's just inconvenient.

Redesign has started.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The doghouse on my SeaRay tilted forward on hinges, and the hinges from it to the deck could separate, so it could be removed completely. Not a bad design.

Jeff Fro

Petty Officer 1st Class
After looking at it over the weekend, I'm thinking that a short center doghouse with side wings and no top (using the current sundeck as the top) will work pretty well. Will be doing some measuring up this week to make sure what I'm thinking will work.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
My Chap has a full length rear bench similar to what you did at first. There are removable dividers along the sides of the engine for safe storage of stuff, and the sun deck is hinged in 3 pieces. After I completely rebuilt the bench I knew it couldn’t be permanently mounted. I secured fiberglass angle tabs to the floor, then bolted the bench to the angles.
267E375D-B812-45BF-8179-6A7DDE70099F.jpeg

Jeff Fro

Petty Officer 1st Class
Add power rams and a back piano hinge.
As I go with this newer design for the engine cover, I'm thinking some 12vdc powered rams to raise the lid. Using quick release pins instead of bolts. Been working too much on other things and traveling for work.