Engine Alignment Frustrations

vwbugman69

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you in advance for all your help...

Last fall I replaced the gimbal bearing in a new to me boat because of water in the bellows. This spring I have been trying to finish the job by aligning the 3.0GSMEFS engine, however, I am unable to get the alignment bar to go into the coupler at all.

I have searched/read practically every engine alignment thread here, but I am still unable to get this right. I believe I have successfully aligned the gimbal to the coupler, as I can feel the bar hit the opening of the coupler, but that is were it stops. I have tried lowering and raising the engine by the front mounts but there is absolutely no change to how far I can get the bar to go in and I do not see any spline marks on the alignment bar. Any ideas as to what I as missing/ doing wrong? I would love to get this figured out so I don't have to pay someone to do what seems like a simple job and something I have put in so much time already.

vwbugman69

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Engine Alignment Frustrations

Thanks Don. I read the thread and again attempted the align the engine. I was unsuccessful, so I called a mobile mechanic. He was unsuccessful as well. It was his opinion that the coupler needs to be replaced.

My question is this - Is there a way to tell if the coupler is bad while the engine is still in the boat? Also, if the engine does indeed need to be pulled, is there anything else that should be done/ looked at?

Thanks again

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Did you get the alignment bar to start into the couple at all? Maybe a 1/2" or so?

vwbugman69

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I believe the bar is starting......I have none, but should there be spline marks on the 1/2" or so? All I see is a 1/2" space that grease is missing from the bar. I was not sure if it was from the coupler or me just hitting it on the gimbal bearing when I was putting it in and taking it out.

Don S

If you twisted the bar at all, it would wipe out any streaks from the splines.

Do this. Turn the engine a 1/4 turn and try the alignment bar. then another 1/4 turn and try the bar, then another 1/4 turn and try it. At any point 0-90-180-270 degrees, did the bar go in easier?

Another possibility if the drive was not removed for a number of years, that a hard build up of crud (for lack of a better word) is preventing the alignment bar from going further.

vwbugman69

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It is raining so I can't check 90-270, but at one point I checked 180 and it made no difference.

How could I tell if there is buildup and how would I remove it?

vwbugman69

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just an update - was able to check 0-90-180-270 and there is no change. Looking at the coupler/splines from outside the transom shield, they look all intact and free of any buildup of "crud".

How can I tell if the rear mounts are correct? All I can see is the large washer and nut on top of the bellhousing. There is not enough room for me to see if there are any other washers in there. Is there a height spec. or anything I can measure?

Don S

Let's go back to the beginning, why did all this aligment start to begin with? Did you take the engine out? replace gimbal bearing? Did you have problems getting the drive off?

vwbugman69

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had replaced the gimbal bearing in the fall because there was water in the bellows. When I took the drive off I initially had to pry it for the first 1/2" or so, but then it came off easily.

vwbugman69

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am at the point where I can see spline marks all around the tool for 1/2" to 5/8". At that point I can feel and hear the tool bottom out on something - but I do not know what.

Also, at this point I have adjusted the front motor mounts so much I am questioning how to ensure the weight is distributed evenly across both mounts when/ if I can get the alignment close.

Havent completed this befor. BUT what if you remove the gimble bearing just to see if tool will go into engine coupling?

vwbugman69

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would hate to destroy my new gimble bearing just to discover it is okay. I have measured the tool and the input shaft that I know fits and I don't see an issue there.

vwbugman69

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Anything else I can try at this point?