I got lucky today, while trailering

64osby

Admiral
I picked up a load of pavers in my 4 x 8 utility trailer today. Had about an 8 mile drive back home. I knew it was a heavy load for my 2000lb trailer but things looked ok when I looked things over before heading home. Took it slow and easy on the way home. Backed up to unload and hopped out, this is what I saw.
Trailer axle bent.jpg

At first I thought the spindle had broken. Pulled the wheel off and this is what I saw.
Trailer axle bent 3.jpgTrailer axle bent 2.jpg

Turns out the axle had rusted under the U bolt and the steel bent outward. I'm really glad the U bolts were really long. The rim ended up riding on the u bolt, keeping it from bending further.

Trailer axle bent 4.jpg

I'd say I was really lucky and that it happened pretty close to home, or even in the driveway backing up (250 ft)

Trailer is about 20 years old and has been fantastic and used hard. Time to give it a new life with a new axle.

I've been looking on line at TC and HF at axles but I don't seem to find a good match. Need a 2000lb axle width for the springs is 46" center to center. Any suggestions?

64osby

Admiral
Re: I got lucky today, while trailering

Hey Tim, Thanks for the link. That first one looks like what I'm looking for. Thinking the tires and rims would match up.

64osby

Admiral

I found a local trailer shop that is ordering an axle for me. Complete axle w/ quick lube / self lube built in, hubs, springs, everything for $146.00. Gotta wait about a week for it, custom made to order.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That's a good price, 64. This internet stuff causes a lot of us to overlook the locals and they do have goods deals too.

64osby

Admiral

Yea GA that is a good deal, of course it doesn't hurt that we have the trailer mfg hub of the US about 30 miles from here.