Emergency (backup) trolling motor...

OneArmBandit

Recruit
I've got a 2000 Odyssey pontoon boat (20'). My railing/walls are mounted at the very front of the deck, with a center-opening. I'd like to have a trolling motor for mostly emergency use, but I don't want to have it permanently mounted in the floor of the front doorway.
When looking for a one that can be quickly mounted with hand-tightened screws, these all seem to be transom (vertically) mounted, and likely not strong enough for this size boat.
Any suggestions would be appreciated

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
There are several quick release trolling motor mounts that work well on pontoons. You stow the motor somewhere on the boat and use it when you need it. On a pontoon you definitely want a bow mount for best control. Whatever quick release setup one ends up with, the base of that mount stays bolted to the floor and becomes a toe-stubber so be aware. What you are asking for is utopia and it doesn't exist. I should also suggest that if you regularly boat on big water, that troller may not get you back to your dock. Batteries do not have unlimited capacity and the bigger motor you have the more and bigger batteries you need. 12, 24, and 36 volt motors are available and those require one, two, and three batteries in series which themselves require storage space and external charging. Think about this carefully.

OneArmBandit

Recruit
Thank you, Silvertip. Not what I was hoping to hear, but that confirms my suspicions. I will look into those quick release options.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Yes I was going to say if you boat in a very big lake or far from people or shore just the motor won't do you much good you will need battery capacity to get anywhere. Which you are now keeping multiple batteries for the electric motor maintained and fresh. And they weigh 50+ pounds a piece so now you have the weight of a small woman on board on extra gear always along for the ride. I personally would rather figure out a way to mount an old reliable gas kicker on the boat if I was that worried. But in all reality a seatow membership might be the best thing unless you would fish or sneak around at sunset with the trolling motor so it has some other function besides emergency deployment.

airshot

Rear Admiral
To get a motor and batteries big enough to do what you want, your looking at well over a grand, for that money you could buy a small gas motor and stow it in the corner out of the way until needed...the gas will give far better performance when needed and takes very little maintenence.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
To get a motor and batteries big enough to do what you want, your looking at well over a grand, for that money you could buy a small gas motor and stow it in the corner out of the way until needed...the gas will give far better performance when needed and takes very little maintenence.
could actually buy 5 for a grand

matt167

Captain
A little Hangkai 3.5hp would make a good emergency motor. They start easy and run okay. I paid $160 for the one I have. The clutch is weak but it will get you home