Electrolytic corrosion

Throbbin Rods

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all, looking for some input. I have a 1995 16' Lund Laker purchased from the original owner with some electrolytic corrosion as it was formerly a salt water boat. I have researched the site and found many very helpful posts. I also found a product called HTS-2000 that is an aluminum brazing rod. I am finding nothing but good reviews on it but wondered if anyone here had tried it to repair a boat hull.
Thanks much for any and all responses.
Bill

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
I dunno. I guess it depends on what kind of repairs your talking about. Isnt brazing basically soldering?

Bondo

Staff member
Electrolytic corrosion

Ayuh,...... In My experience, this comes from bad wirin', not saltwater,.....
(one summer, before I knew better, I wired some cockpit lights, 'n grounded 'em through the hull, it pitted badly that summer)

'n weldin' or solderin' aluminum starts with perfectly clean aluminum,....

Donno how you'd clean the pits, without borin' through the hull,...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I imagine the only way to clean pitted areas in aluminum is to use an acid product. I can't think of any other way myself. But I know it has to be really clean to work properly...

jbcurt00

Staff member
Those rods got a mixed bag of reviews by those that rried them and posted their results here..

A few loved them

Several hated them

None posted long term results to the best of my knowledge

Lots of corrosion repair had been done on Starcraft boats. Most clean extremely well, including acid washing the pits (many use 50/50 vinegar and water, but Yacht Dr can point you to an aluminim prep product he prefers... alodine maybe?)

Anyway, once cleaned, prime w SE primer and fill w MarineTex, JB Weld or other simillar. Some fill 1st then primer.

None of the filled w either MT or JB have complained and have continued posting as they use and make changes to their boat. No reports of problems.

Post some pix, and make sure none of those pits are actually thru holes.... the other thing to watxh out for is corrosion related problems w the rivets.

If you really want to read about a gut check, read Dozers latest rebuild

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owners-groups-by-manufacturer/s/starcraft-boats/616761-1979-18-v5

Or ClassicCats extensive revuild and repair of damage

Throbbin Rods

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks much for the replies. I did consider the JB Weld, but thought the HTS-2000 warranted a trial because I would be replacing aluminum with aluminum. Should that fail it will be JB Weld to the rescue!
Again, many thanks for the input

Bondo

Staff member
because I would be replacing aluminum with aluminum.

Nope,.... The solder is not aluminum, it's an alloy that bonds to aluminum,.....

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Not sure if the alumiprep ( or other acids ) would clean it for soldering. I think sand blasting would be better. When I do window frames and such I sand blast before the prep and alodine..and this is for primer not for solder or putty.

Thanks for the props though..but just sayin..