Steps to Prep Aluminuim with pics

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Just to share how I prep alum for paint..

This is the materials I use ( you can use and equivelant..)

DSC03681_640_480.jpg

With the mix of 1 part to 3 parts alumiprep wipe down the Alum ..keeping it wet with the Alumiprep.

DSC03683_640_480.jpg

Rinse well with water after about 3-5 mins of application of the Alumiprep.

DSC03684_640_480.jpg

Apply the Alodine ( you dont have to dry before the application of alodine ).

DSC03687_640_480.jpg

Keep the Alodine wet for 3-5 mins..then rinse well !! Notice the Goldish hue on the prepped alum..Thats what you want..

DSC03688_640_480.jpg

DSC03690_640_480.jpg

Let Dry..dont touch the surface ANYmore now with your bare hands !.After that is application of ZC primer..

After a few coats of the ZC primer has dried 24 hours you scuff/sand for your topcoat..

Never touch anything in these processes with your bare hands..

Good luck Alumipreppers : ) .

YD.

PS. Sticky ? ; ) .

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Re: Steps to Prep Aluminuim with pics

Bob..your smoooth mate..very... :)

I wonder how many get this ;) .

YD.

PS/BTW Im honored to be apart of Dons top 10 hehe :) .

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Thank You for posting that YD. It may seem simple to you, but those few pics will speak a thousand words to those that see them. I for one made the assumption your process HAD to be done on fully stripped pieces. I never thought you could "spot" prep.

One other question, one a brand new piece of 1/16" 6061, would you also roughen it up, or leave nice and smooth?

Dave.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Dave..

I allways prep mechanically before these steps..

YD.

mwassman

Seaman Apprentice

where do you buy your alumiprep and alodine? couldnt find either at lowes

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I can see the flame thrower's being charged :eek: YD is going to cook me alive!!!

Alumiprep is phosphoric acid and either. The acid removes corrosion and the either dries the solution. I use vinegar which is not as strong and diet coke (not sugared coke) has a similar effect for removing the corrosion.

Alodine creates a slight chromate conversion which is why it leaves a green/gold hue behind on the bare aluminum...... essentially it is a chromate treatment. Following YD's prep method actually puts two coats of zinc chromate on the aluminum.

So...... in the past many of us (me included) have sanded, wiped the hull with vinegar, used a light coat of zinc chromate from a rattle can and then painted.

There have been reports from other iboats people that have received similar instructions from paint manufacturer's. It's your choice which to follow. Yes alumiprep and alodine are not common and can be hard to find depending on where you are.

I know you are painting a duck boat and it probably has seen some use and will continue to...... the paint will last using either method ;)

Regardless of which method you use...... be sure to sand smooth, feather any good paint edges left on the hull and most of all be patient! The results are all from the prep.

Sorry YD to infringe on your post. YD has the 100% correct method and my method is a "shade tree" way :)

Probably best to get your alodine and alumiprep on-line from a distributor that sells both so you only get hit with a single HAZMAT. I am not sure if they are ORM-D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

So...... in the past many of us (me included) have sanded, wiped the hull with vinegar, used a light coat of zinc chromate from a rattle can and then painted.

YD has the 100% correct method and my method is a "shade tree" way :)

Hey, if the shoe fits...

Uh, I'll put a pair on too:)

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I can see the flame thrower's being charged :eek: YD is going to cook me alive!!!

Sorry YD to infringe on your post.

The flamethrower is currently down due to Freezing weather..bRRR ;) .

Personally I thought this thread was dead seeing as you moved it to Don S' top ten list hehehe :) .

But anywho.. yes there are other tried and true methods that Do work..I just like the fact that I can Alumiprep then Alodine ( pre ZC coat ) all at one time without worry about moisture vapor condensing on the part. I dont really know about the affects of vinagar to Alodine ( and I allways use alodine ). Ill get some scrap and do it both ways just to see for myself..

Plus I dont like smelling like a Salad :D

YD.

PS. I like Boots personally ;) .

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

PS. I like Boots personally ;) .

Well if the boot fits...:D

Hey, thanks for putting this photo tutorial together for the not quite so bottom feeder like guys. Very helpful I think!

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Since this thread came up again I have another question. Our aluminum boats obviously have seams. Is there any chance that acid will get caught in a seam and cause problems down the road?

m casey stock

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks YD for a great post! I'll soon be repainting my old Duracraft and I only want to do it once!

anthony95

Cadet

so i should do this if i wont to paint my bare aluminum jon boat?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

so i should do this if i wont to paint my bare aluminum jon boat?

Your question should be more like "would I ( YD ) do this if I painted Your boat". Well yes I would do this exactly.

Now if YOU want to do things differently then no problem .. you can document it and post up your results.

I cant tell you what you should or should Not do for your project. I just give information that you can leave or take. Its up to YOU.

Good luck.

YD.

tlocus73

Seaman
Thanks for posting this. I usually also use the zinc chromate primer as well. I recently saw that rustoleum made an 'etching primer'
Etching primer seems like it would really get into the aluminum pores and seal it well...?? Have you tried it?

thomas