Electric shift coupler

salvageyard saviour

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Has anyone seen a coupler like the one on the left? Spline count is the same in both.
Believe it came off a small journal SBC.
Also it was attached to a flexplate not a flywheel.
20220617_125438.jpg

kenny nunez

Captain
I have never seen one like that but a very good solution for engines with the small bolt pattern replacing an earlier large style pattern. I used to take the early style couplers to a machine shop so that it would fit the later style engine.

salvageyard saviour

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have never seen one like that but a very good solution for engines with the small bolt pattern replacing an earlier large style pattern. I used to take the early style couplers to a machine shop so that it would fit the later style engine.
I'm trying to go the other way. Hoping to use it with a 78 SBC 350. I carefully drilled holes in the 78 flexplate also had to shim crank pilot hole.

Was curious if this was a stock item or customized.

Last edited:

salvageyard saviour

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Kenny,
Similar question about intermediate driveshaft.
A new to me 1968 210 hp TUE-17R. I can feel slop when I twist the intermediate ball gear. Feels like wear in the coupler.
Will I need a coupler like this?

Also the driveshaft is listed as a one piece shaft and gear (can't find one anywhere). Can I use a newer style 2 piece? As long as the shaft length is the same.

I have 2 early 70's intermediate housings if I have to change the whole thing. I'd rather fix this one though.

kenny nunez

Captain
Be sure that the shaft does not “bottom out” in the coupling. If that should happen the main bearing thrust shoulder gets burned up. If in doubt, remove the intermediate shaft before bolting the engine to the intermediate housing. Then push it in and be sure the retainer flange is seated against the housing and there is no gap.
Look at the splines closely that there is no wear “step” on them. If there is grind off the area where the “step” is.
You cannot use a 2 piece shaft in the early housings. I am sending you a private message with my phone #

williampagano

Recruit
Kenny,
Similar question about intermediate driveshaft.
A new to me 1968 210 hp TUE-17R. I can feel slop when I twist the intermediate ball gear. Feels like wear in the coupler.
Will I need a coupler like this?

Also the driveshaft is listed as a one piece shaft and gear (can't find one anywhere). Can I use a newer style 2 piece? As long as the shaft length is the same.

I have 2 early 70's intermediate housings if I have to change the whole thing. I'd rather fix this one though. There is a firm in Ontario Canada that wil provide reconditioned parts, and assemble units. I had my ball gears replaced when I burned them up.
Contact Marineengine.com they seem to have parts/answers. I have a 1969 210 also, however OMC changed their outdrive components in 1969 So it’s best to check through ME’s schematics, part numbers and telephone.

Last edited: