Electric Cars or Trucks

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Back to topic... Lincoln just unveiled their Star EV concept and announced that they want 50% of their sales to be EV by 2025 and said that the demand is already there. That's just a couple of model years down the road, folks.

The naysayers, pooh-poohers and Larry's can denigrate and ridicule all they want. But the future is coming, ready or not. Just like it did for the horse and buggy crowd 100+ years ago. Where are the buggy whip companies now? :unsure:

At some point in history, a tipping point comes and technology jumps ahead. We're very close to that point once more. I enjoy watching history in the making.

Lincoln is just one more automaker on the list of change. :cool:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    466.9 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: KJM

southkogs

Staff member
1832, 1859, 1884, 1973, 1980, 1997 ...

I'm not opposed to electric cars. There are a few that seem pretty slick. But, I don't think the whole of transportation is going to go completely electric; including cars.

tpenfield

Staff member
^^^ That's the piece I was missing. Nice job @roscoe

As we say in MA . . . Youze guys are wicked Smaht. :ROFLMAO:

briangcc

Commander
I'm curious...where do you charge it when it's drained to 0 pulling a boat? Gonna call out the Amish with their horses and buggies to pull you to the next charging station? And where exactly is that in the middle of no where?

There's nothing wrong per se in trying to move away from gasoline. The problem is there isn't any infrastructure to support it - at least in my neck of the woods. Period.

For local commute, to/from work, where you can complete that trip on a single charge - sure that works. But for long haul, forget it.

**That's completely ignoring the premium being paid for EV's as you're taking a mid-5 figure pickup and turning it into a 6 figure pickup if you want any kind of actual towing capacity/range. For a schmoe like me, that's completely unrealistic for a price point.

flashback

Captain
The F150 lightning has gotten my attention. 350 miles per charge ain't too bad if you put a portable generator in the back just in case.

briangcc

Commander

That range drops when you tow....dramatically. See the vid on the Rivian. On my typical vacation trip I'd need to stop 2x to charge....adding easily 2 hours onto an already 4 hour trip. My kids would go bonkers waiting to get to the lake.

briangcc

Commander
Here's another cross country. Had to stop every 100 miles roughly to charge.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Here's another cross country. Had to stop every 100 miles roughly to charge.

That would make the 1500 mile trip to the land of Cheese and Beer a week long vs the 20-22 hours it takes now.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Might not be easy to find a drive through charging station.------Locally you would have to disconnect your trailer , charge , hook up again and carry on.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
A number of years ago I said that the battery will be swapped out like on power tools.------A 1000 lb battery would take about 20 seconds or less.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I understand that popularity of formula 1 went down when engines stopped screaming making lots of noise at 18,000 RPM.----Same with unlimited hydroplanes when they moved away from V-12 Merlin / Packard engines.----Turbines just are not the same.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
since the MEME was not politically or children friendly
summarize:

GM: lets make the corvette all electric
Ford: lets make the mustang a 4-door all electric
Dodge: lets put the hellcat crate motor in a minivan...

I may not need 707hp in a minivan, but I want one

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Who in there right mind thought a Mustang 4 door would be cool