DUI Check point.

FLATHEAD

Captain
Re: DUI Check point.

Heck SBN I aint all steamed up :cool: Just trying to make my point is all.

bubbakat

Captain

DUI check points are mandated by the state level and controlled by the federal laws. If we don't do so many a year we lose federal funding and then that cuts into-the county budget. That is money that comes straight out of you county tax dollar.<br />We don't like to sit up road blocks on the road no more then you like to see them but it is a necessary thing.<br />I almost lost a daughter in 94 to a drunk driver and I work everyone I can.<br />Mr campbell if you think we are Nazi lovers then why don't you go to some place, say like iran where if they stop you and smell the least bit of alcohol on you they take you out of the car and shoot you.<br />When you start calling law enforcement NAZI you are about as un-american as it gets.<br /> Ryan one day when you have to look at parts of bodies strewn all over the road then you can have a right to say yea or nay.<br />FH and SBN have been around long enough and seen enough to form an opinion on it.<br /> Kennith I don't know where you got your training but you ought to know that road blocks are very effective.<br />We can't cover all the back roads. We have a total of 6 bars in our county and 6 deputies to cover 2500 miles of roads and still answer calls to. It just isn't possible.<br />FH I am in no way trying to make you mad but check points are a necessity.<br /> I don't like traffic lights either but I have to stop for them never the less.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

OK Spinner, time for you to hand over your sidearm, we're gonna take it cause it might save someones life.

NOSLEEP

Commander

Yes I'd have to agree they are a necessary evil.<br />I do not drink and drive so I have nothing to<br />hide. They do bother me when I am inconvenienced <br />by them. But on the lighter side around here anyway,<br />many drunk drivers have had considerable more<br />inconvenience to deal with after unexpectedly<br />arriving at one.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Bubbakat- Texas considers roadblocks a sign of deadly force. If a person refuses to stop at one he would of course run into the car that WE used as a tool in our job. It has been proven over and over again in court that a vehicle can be a deadly weapon. I don't doubt that they are effective in some places, just not here. There are way too many different ways to get around them. Most people will just take the county roads home. You can travel the length of the county in any direction and be on a paved road less than 1 mile in most all cases. Neither my agency nor the county uses them, only the state DPS. I am extremely glad or that. I do not wish to work one. I prefer to use my training watching for behavior instead of just waiting for 1 out of a 100 to pull up. No disrespect intended sir, just my opinion, and we all know about those.<br /><br />By the way, sorry to hear that about your daughter, I'm glad she was ok.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

GO BUBBA!
11.gif
<br />It's a drity job, but someone has to do it.... Thank You Officer Bubbakat...

Link

Rear Admiral

Flahthead <br /> <br />I agree with you 100 % <br />But at the same time "bubbakat" makes since also.<br />I'll make a post tomorroww that will fill in the blanks..<br />pros and cons..<br />Link

mrbscott19

Chief Petty Officer

I think the check points are a must. Yeah, it might cause more drunks to take the country. But if the check points weren't there, these drunks would be driving through town, not giving one thought about it. Now is there a better chance of a drunk hitting the one car they see in the country, or in the middle of town where theres lots of people? Granted the drunk has gotta get into town sometime, but when he does you can bet your *** he's going to get in town on the emptiest road he can find. No traffic equals no check points.

one more cast

Captain

Around here DUI checkpoints are few and far between and as flathead says, all the drunks know where they are so they just stay put and have a few more drinks. On the other hand if you are all over the road its a good bet that someone will call in your plate # and location on their cell phone. I don't drink very often anymore but if I do I don't drive. .08 BAC will send you to jail. I also know alot of people that drink and drive every single day and get away with it.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

most people who choose to drink/drive are gonna<br />do it regardless of a road-block IMO. bet bubba<br />has seen many who have been convicted a few times<br />and lic. revoked still doing it... maybe if they<br />enforced the laws on the books it might help?<br />feeling a rant....<br />one of MY pet peeves in todays society is the lack<br />of personal responsibility. make them PAY for their<br />actions!!!!! instead, they just pass more stupid<br />laws that us law abiding citizens have to put up<br />with. that makes no sense to me at all...

tylerin

Commander

I think what Flathead is trying to say is.........<br />.<br />.<br />. S...P...R...E...A...D... O...U...T! ! ! ! ! !

TenE307

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Put the check points right outside the bars.<br />check them as they leave the parking lot.<br />no chance to change roads see if they can get home without getting out of the parking lot.<br />instead of all officers at one check point. put one at each bar and watch the people order the taxis.

DoctorCAD

Petty Officer 3rd Class

This used to be a country of "Innocent until proven guilty". DUI checkpoints are IMO directly opposite of that. YOU must prove your innocence by stopping and passing whatever test is being administered.<br /><br />More and more traffic patrols are what the police should be doing. Catch a guilty person, don't stop innocent ones with the thinly disguised veil of "public safety"

knobby

Chief Petty Officer

As much as you dislike checkpoints, the drunk drivers like'em even less. I'm voting for'em.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Those who would trade freedom for security, deserve neither. BF

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

All of these freedom issues are a matter of compromise. How much freedom do you want to sacrifce for your saftey?<br /><br />Some say they dont mind answering a few questions for a minute, in hopes it will prevent one DUI death.<br /><br />I say if you want it that way, then they should change the constitution. It should read:<br /><br />The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and <br />effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and <br />no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or <br />affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the <br />persons or things to be seized<br /><br />UNLESS ONE LIFE COULD BE SAVED BY DOING A SEARCH. <br /><br />Somebody said the consititution is outdated, then fine, why dont the politicians change it? <br /><br />Because it doesnt need changing.<br /><br />If you give them and inch, they will take a mile. Case in point, the New Mexico idea of outfitting EVERY car int he state with a breathalizer.<br /><br />Ken

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

There were 35 murders in Detroit in May. (more than were killed by drunk drivers) Why not search every car on the road after sundown for guns? This would definately save lives! Cuz its illegal.... Or is it cuz the offenders are part of a protected minority group that deserves special treatment?<br /><br />I believe cops follow orders, not make policy. This is not a police issue it is a public policy issue, and Madd is nothing more than a modern temperance society, seeking to eliminate all alcohol for any purpose. Better to turn the constitution on its ear than to stand up to a bunch of intolerant, upset mothers.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

D.A.M.M. <br />Drunks Against Madd Mothers<br /> :p <br /><br />Like MY said, personal responsibility...... It's a policy put into effect because of the irresponsible who drive drunk... The drunks drivers are taking away the freedom, not madd, not the government....

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Drunk Drivers are not taking away anyone's freedoms. That is just rediculous. They have no ability to. Liberal judges legislating from the bench (illegal), and cowards in government who would rather follow the winds of current polls, as the laws that founded this country, bleeding heart liberals who think they know better than everyone else, are the ones taking away our freedoms. <br /><br />This is nothing more than political cowardice. If it is necessary, change the constitution, but then cowards always have someone else do their heavy lifting. Try pulling a guy over cuz he is black. Go to court and pay big bucks. We have the right against illegal search and seizure. But, people die- well people died in Nascar too and they are still racing. A vehicle is inheirantly dangerous and people will get hurt, period, but a 130lb woman having two glasses of wine is a drunk driver!! See, keep changing the scale and they are all illegal. But whatever gets you what you want in this country, right or wrong.......